Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone Else Doing REALLY Low Tuning?

gunpointmetal

So I play 8 and 9 string guitars tuned roughly in the ranges of 4 and 5 string basses. I'm a big fan of the crossover split for heavy gain tones because I can distort/boost the low end separate from the high end and blend them together at my IR. 

Just wondering if anyone else out there is doing stupid low tuning and if you have any tips/tricks/preferences for your tones with the Helix.

Not a low tuning freak as I play 6 string and 8 string guitars, but I've found that for my palm mute metal tone the Stupor OD sounds better on the low end than the typical 808 put in front of the amp, also for the 8 string version of the patch I have an EQ boost at 900 Hz before anything in the chain, the tone on the Stupor OD is around 7 on the 6 string patch and 10 on the 8 string patch.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I play 8 and 9 string guitars tuned roughly in the ranges of 4 and 5 string basses. I'm a big fan of the crossover split for heavy gain tones because I can distort/boost the low end separate from the high end and blend them together at my IR. 

Just wondering if anyone else out there is doing stupid low tuning and if you have any tips/tricks/preferences for your tones with the Helix.

So, I found an absolutely amazing way to dial in super heavy tones. For this purpose I used the Friedman amp, than added a split block, everything under 500 Hz is going trough an Ampeg 8x10 IR, everything above 500HZ goes trough 3 Sigma Audios 2x12 Zilla Fatboy IR. Than all you have to do is to find the perfect blending mix between the two cabs. Sounds killer with my Ibanez M80M, I'll do my best to recreate this preset with stock cabs, than I'll upload it to customtone.

• Upvote 2

So, I found an absolutely amazing way to dial in super heavy tones. For this purpose I used the Friedman amp, than added a split block, everything under 500 Hz is going trough an Ampeg 8x10 IR, everything above 500HZ goes trough 3 Sigma Audios 2x12 Zilla Fatboy IR. Than all you have to do is to find the perfect blending mix between the two cabs. Sounds killer with my Ibanez M80M, I'll do my best to recreate this preset with stock cabs, than I'll upload it to customtone.

Nice! I haven't really tried to do it with bass cabs yet. Do you get a little more "note" in the low end? I'm usually high-passing anywhere from 80-110Hz so I didn't even really think about using a bass cab. Definitely have to give it a try.

Nice! I haven't really tried to do it with bass cabs yet. Do you get a little more "note" in the low end? I'm usually high-passing anywhere from 80-110Hz so I didn't even really think about using a bass cab. Definitely have to give it a try.

I believe you have to shape your tone to the music. It became a trend to cut the bass and boost the minds/treble in the Djent scene, I used to do that as well :D Since we play in dropped E tuning, the bass cab really helps to articulate the 8th string and gives so much fat than the traditional guitar cabs. Will do my best to showcase it. 

I believe you have to shape your tone to the music. It became a trend to cut the bass and boost the minds/treble in the Djent scene, I used to do that as well :D Since we play in dropped E tuning, the bass cab really helps to articulate the 8th string and gives so much fat than the traditional guitar cabs. Will do my best to showcase it. 

For sure. I don't really djent, but I do like to stay out of the way of the bass player, lol.

• Upvote 1

In this band I'm playing a 9-string guitar tuned A-E-A-E-A-D-G-B-E. The low A is the same note as though a five-string bass were tuned down a step, followed by the low E of a four-string bass, then tuned like a seven-string guitar in Drop A. Guitars are Helix's 5150 model with a Mesa OS IR from Rosen Digital.

In this band I'm playing a 9-string in the same "double drop-A" tuning as well as an 8-string in drop E tuning. Guitars are Helix 2204 Mod with the same Mesa OS IR.

I can see them. Yep, that's low. The clean parts on the second video sound kind of Chapman Stickish.

Cool, between the bass and guitar we like to cover a lot of ground without getting into “shred†territory. Disgunt was supposed to the sonic equivalent of getting hit by a truck, lol.