Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone recommending a good sounding slapback delay model/setting?

MartinDorr

Keep the Time short (between 80–140 ms), Feedback at 0 (so you only get one repeat), and Mix Level at about 45-50 percent. I'm using the Vintage Digital delay

Any of the delays with those settings will work, just pick your particular delay flavor. 

Thanks for responses.

No surprise in the delay parameter settings.

Will check out the Vintage Digital delay to see whether it changes things to the better.

Also thought that my choice of reverb (Plate) may not be the best choice to get a better sounding slap back.

What do you guys use as reverb settings with your tones using slap back delay?

Thanks for responses.

No surprise in the delay parameter settings.

Will check out the Vintage Digital delay to see whether it changes things to the better.

Also thought that my choice of reverb (Plate) may not be the best choice to get a better sounding slap back.

What do you guys use as reverb settings with your tones using slap back delay?

I would say the plate reverb is what was used back when the slap delay became popular. So you'd be good with that. The main thing for me is the mix. And with the delay you won't need much reverb so keep the mix below like 30%. Play with that parameter and you should get close to what I think you want. Or try some kind of small room reverb since they would also use a studio's ambient room reverb.

As has been pointed out you can use many of the delays to good effect for slapback by dialing down the delay time and getting the mix percentage right. Depending on the sound you are trying to get you can also focus on a couple of the delays that were designed with short delay times from jump like the 'Bucket Brigade' or 'Elephant Man' and hence are extremely easy to dial in.