Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 89F - Meaning of LED Colors/Flashing

I am a new owner of a JTV 89F. I am in two bands and bought it mainly for the ease of handling tunes within a set list that require alternate tunings but to some degree the modeled guitars also. I have found the support/user literature to be lacking, in particular the "basics" of how to engage the model options for tunings and guitar. My biggest question is, why do I sometimes get blue light vs. white light on the knobs, and why do they sometimes flash? It almost definitely means SOMETHING, but what? 

IIRC blue indicates modeling is engages and whtie indicactes alt tuning.

From page 13 of the manual:

Creating custom Alternate Tunings The Alternate Tuning feature of your Variax is a very powerful tool and while we’ve given you 10 common tunings to choose from on the Alternate Tuning knob we know some of you will still wish for even more, such as using this feature to replace your capo. Have no fear, we’ve got you covered. You can replace all but the MODEL and STANDARD setting on the Alternate Tuning knob with your very own creations. Here is how you do it.

1. Make sure your guitar is tuned to a standard tuning with a 440Hz reference with the Guitar Model Selector set to any 6 string guitar model.

2. Press and hold the Guitar Model Selector knob for 2.5 seconds or until the LEDs begins to blink to enter customization mode.

3. Select the position you’d like to replace on the Alternate Tuning knob.

Note: If it’s already there you need to move the knob away and back so customization mode knows you want to modify a tuning.

Only the Alternate Tuning LED will now flash. 4. Create new alternate tunings by playing one note at a time on each string you wish to change. Customization mode sees the 12th fret as the 0 fret (or nut). So playing a note at the 10th fret will tune that string down a whole step while playing a note at the 14th fret will tune it up a whole step from standard. Be sure to mute strings carefully as you assign tunings across the neck - any mishaps could reassign the tuning. You can also play all notes at once if you can fret them cleanly.

Hey thanks all for the responses. I am not the original owner, to answer one of your comments. I got it from a music store in NY, they had never sold it but it had definitely been played. It's definitely an 89F, to answer another comment above.  Triryche, I've read that section of the manual a few times and like you I think the answer is *mostly* there. Let me ask you Variax experts a basic question....Ignoring alt tunings for a moment...If I simply want to select, say, one of the Chime models, and I'm in standard mag pickup mode (no models or alt tunings), I need to (a) quickly depress the guitar selector knob, then (b) rotate the knob to the desired model, and © use the 5 way selector to potentially select from choices within that model. Yes?  I think that's correct, and I wish the manual would be as clear as that. 

I need to (a) quickly depress the guitar selector knob, then ( B) rotate the knob to the desired model, and © use the 5 way selector to potentially select from choices within that model. Yes?  

3. Guitar Model Selector - Push in this knob (LED is lit) to access any of the 10 Variax guitar model banks or one of two user definable custom model banks. When in Variax mode the Guitar Model Selector LED will illuminate the active guitar model bank. There are actually 5 models per bank, as defined by the Selector Switch position. Press this knob again (LED is not lit) to use the magnetic pickups.

Do you have the interface to connect to workbench or a Line6 device with Variax connectivity?

Hey thanks all for the responses. I am not the original owner, to answer one of your comments. I got it from a music store in NY, they had never sold it but it had definitely been played. It's definitely an 89F, to answer another comment above.  Triryche, I've read that section of the manual a few times and like you I think the answer is *mostly* there. Let me ask you Variax experts a basic question....Ignoring alt tunings for a moment...If I simply want to select, say, one of the Chime models, and I'm in standard mag pickup mode (no models or alt tunings), I need to (a) quickly depress the guitar selector knob, then ( B) rotate the knob to the desired model, and © use the 5 way selector to potentially select from choices within that model. Yes?  I think that's correct, and I wish the manual would be as clear as that. 

Yes to this. My model selector knob is unlit when I'm on magnetics and lit when using models. I do believe the color is white when it's lit.