Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.52 version of HX Edit and the Firmware just released: Installation Instructions

HonestOpinion

Looks like a new 2.52 version of HX Edit and a new 2.52 firmware has been released.with some bug fixes. A really fast response, thank you Line6! Would suggest to anyone upgrading to follow this procedure and of course Line6's latest installation instructions:

• Get backups with your current version of HX Edit just in case. I personally go overboard and get an HX Edit full backup, as well as backing up my IRs, a bundle, separate setlists, and separate presets. However the new HX Edit software only actually marginally requires the full HX Edit backup - if you don't care about updating the Factory and Template setlists to the latest it will actually do an update in place retaining all the old setlists. So theoretically you can upgrade from 2.51 to 2.52 without a backup but I still feel better having having them(highly recommended at least get the full HX Edit backup, it would be foolhardy not to). Btw, the onscreen instructions when you run the Updater also say to get backups with the HX 2.52 editor as well before upgrading the firmware. I actually exited the Updater when I saw this and brought up the 2.52 editor and got a backup before returning to the Line6 Updater for the firmware update. 
  • Don't download the Flash(firmware) file or Line6 Updater directly.  Instead download and install the correct version of HX Edit 2.52 for your device which will unpack the Editor, Updter, and driver for you.
  • Use the 'Line6 Updater' to upgrade to the 2.52 firmware. Click on the initial screen of the Updater which will show a picture of your device with your current version of your firmware, not the new version. This assumes your device is connected via USB to compatible hardware with a supported OS . Make sure you don't have the Editor and the Updater up at the same time. After you click through the initial screen the Updater will then give you a choice of the new 2.52 firmware. Just point and click and let the Updater walk you through the firmware upgrade. Follow firmware release instructions provided by Line6.

They have pulled back 2.52 for the moment, as it seems to have been causing some unexpected issues for some people during the installation process. So just hold tight for now...

Too late, already installed. What issues? I did notice there were some spots during the upgrade where it seemed to be crawling more than usual but it completed successfully. Should I be rolling back?

Too late, already installed. What issues? I did notice there were some spots during the upgrade where it seemed to be crawling more than usual but it completed successfully. Should I be rolling back?

If you've installed it successfully, you should be OK, I think. The issues were with the installation process itself.

I installed the update to the editor. My Helix floor is still at 2.50. Can I leave it like this until the new 2.52 is posted again, and just update the floor unit at that time?

Good question. It might be fine but personally I would roll back to the 2.51 HX Edit version and restore my 2.51 backup until the new HX Edit is released with the corresponding new firmware. Might be unnecessary increased risk rolling back though. No clue.

My install of 2.52 went fine. No issues so far as I as I know. Think I'll let it be.

Dave

Went fine here too.

Although when I read that they pulled the update because of something in the update process, a kind of retroactive, virtual panic ensued with the gained knowledge that Helix could have been bricked. I just hope CC128 doesn't decide to act on the notion that perhaps Helix should have bricked itself. I think I'll just leave it alone for now.

Went fine here too.

Although when I read that they pulled the update because of something in the update process, a kind of retroactive, virtual panic ensued with the gained knowledge that Helix could have been bricked. I just hope CC128 doesn't decide to act on the notion that perhaps Helix should have bricked itself. I think I'll just leave it alone for now.

Chuckle, see page #58 of the Helix manual for Duncann's "CC128" reference.  :D

I feel a bit unsettled now...

I updated to 2.52 earlier but not without concerns.

Starting with the Edit... the download faulted as when I started the installation, there was a warning displayed on the laptop saying that one of the PDF help file couldn't open. Sorted that easily, just downloaded the application again this time installed properly.

Then after making a full backup of the patches and IRs I updated the firmware. After a while the completion was displayed on the laptop screen, saying that the HELIX floor would restart and re index the presets, but on starting up it froze to the initial screen.

I made sure to wait long enough for things to get going but after a good 5 minutes of mo activity I switched the HELIX floor off and restarted it after 30 or so seconds.

From there it completed the upgrade. It seem to work OK on what I was working on, which I was dealing only with a template's preset.

Fingers crossed.

I want to take this opportunity to still thank Line 6 for the previous 2.50 release. I love the new amps!