Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there an auto-wah?

Marcus2323

I've found it useful to turn the mix level on these down to around 60-65%, especially when used on more distorted tones.   

On cleaner tones you can get away with higher mixes.

For a nice "clavinet" tone with cleaner and compressed tones, set the mixes closer to 40%.   

I've found it useful to turn the mix level on these down to around 60-65%, especially when used on more distorted tones.   

On cleaner tones you can get away with higher mixes.

For a nice "clavinet" tone with cleaner and compressed tones, set the mixes closer to 40%.   

This is actually good advice with the regular wah. I think I got this from Glen Delaunne. put the mix at about 75%. gives it a little more organic sound for lack of a better word.

Just to be pedantic, the effects talked about here are Envelope Filters, not Auto-Wahs.

Auto-Wah is something like the SeekWah or something that goes on a timing basis. Envelope Filters are things like the Q-Tron (which is what you're probably after).

So true, they are theoretically not the same thing although there was a time where manufacturers were playing fast and loose with those names(maybe still are) and some probably produced envelope filters/'followers' that were labeled as "auto-wahs" or "touch-wahs"("touch"-wah being a better synonym for envelope filter). This was done probably to some extent depending on what name they thought would sell better or be more recognizable. As you say though, to comply with their original literal definitions, an envelope filter should vary with how the string is picked or the envelope of the source signal whereas an auto-wah should vary its timing according to something like the rate of an LFO or other often internal timing mechanism. Thanks for bringing this up 'cos I don't know if various manufacturers will ever adhere faithfully to these definitions.   :)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, billholder said:

So how about an envelope-controlled phaser or chorus?  Is it possible to somehow "tweak" things to add envelope control to a block model that doesn't already have it built in?

There's an envelope flanger, I think it's the dynamix flanger.

There's no envelope controller that has an ability to operate on an arbitrary block. Wish there was though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 8:20 PM, duncann said:

There's an envelope flanger, I think it's the dynamix flanger.

There's no envelope controller that has an ability to operate on an arbitrary block. Wish there was though.

Yeah, the Helix modulation section seems deficient.  I expected to find a completely parameterized mod engine, with specific unit sims as default patches on top of it, like the amps.  All we get is a baked-in selection of historical mod unit sims (and not a very flexible list of examples either).  Poor form, Line 6.  Mod-heads expect better.  

16 hours ago, billholder said:

Yeah, the Helix modulation section seems deficient.  I expected to find a completely parameterized mod engine, with specific unit sims as default patches on top of it, like the amps.  All we get is a baked-in selection of historical mod unit sims (and not a very flexible list of examples either).  Poor form, Line 6.  Mod-heads expect better.  

Gotta say "amen" to this (and I'll file a FR and an Ideascale submission later on). Once you've worked with Native Instruments' Guitar Rig (which I don't like much soundwise, plus, it obviously requires a computer and a decent interface to even start with), you will know what a cool playground for all kinds of experimental (and just plain useful) tweaks modulators can be.

Guitar Rig offers things like these as modulators: Input level (which is just great), LFOs, envelopes, step envelopes, etc. And you can then route these to *any* parameter you like.

So it's even possible to lower your guitar volume and blend into a patch with *more* drive, rather than the opposite.

You could as well use it to blend in, say, some modulation on lower input volumes, that way you could get from a full stop riffing sound to a cleaned up modulation sound just by turning down your guitar volume.

Or you could have an LFO controlling the volume balance between two amps for a yet unheard tremolo effect.

Or what about an input level triggered envelope that would turn a mellow quick chorus into slow bubbling madness once you pick harder?

Etc. The possibilities for sound tweakers are endless.

In addition, at least typically such modulators come at very little CPU expenses, so that should never become an issue.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/22/2019 at 9:46 AM, SaschaFranck said:

Gotta say "amen" to this (and I'll file a FR and an Ideascale submission later on). Once you've worked with Native Instruments' Guitar Rig (which I don't like much soundwise, plus, it obviously requires a computer and a decent interface to even start with), you will know what a cool playground for all kinds of experimental (and just plain useful) tweaks modulators can be.

Guitar Rig offers things like these as modulators: Input level (which is just great), LFOs, envelopes, step envelopes, etc. And you can then route these to *any* parameter you like.

So it's even possible to lower your guitar volume and blend into a patch with *more* drive, rather than the opposite.

You could as well use it to blend in, say, some modulation on lower input volumes, that way you could get from a full stop riffing sound to a cleaned up modulation sound just by turning down your guitar volume.

Or you could have an LFO controlling the volume balance between two amps for a yet unheard tremolo effect.

Or what about an input level triggered envelope that would turn a mellow quick chorus into slow bubbling madness once you pick harder?

Etc. The possibilities for sound tweakers are endless.

In addition, at least typically such modulators come at very little CPU expenses, so that should never become an issue.

no way to get LFO or ADSR make random changes in yal HX ....m@n it sounds like a joke o_O

.....yet very boring IMHO coz no way to spice up sonic texture !!!! (the Divider/Mixer blocks on Gt100/1K do a killer job)

Damn i can do this with my old Zoom G9 N my GT100 (not 2 say Gt1K) im actually so surprised that the great Helix itself doesn't have such an antique feature 3>

I understand now why most of HX users sound in their demos so flat & linear ....except Matteo Mancuso !!! (Line6/Yamaha Endorsee)

If you wanna have this very lush but still natural Trem effect that you're talking about with the Dynamic Panning of Dual Amp Sonic texture just grab a Gt100 or a Gt1K 3>)

i have such patches on my Gt100 N i can confirm you that this addictive 4 sure ....i was considering to move on HX LT but after searching 4 such a feature on HX i simply discovered that it doesn't exist on the Line6 system ......im really pissed off /= coz the HX FXs N Amp-Sims are really beautiful indeed N offers a huge catalogue..... but i still prefer to stick on the Boss system coz it is a Game changing Tek IMHO ^^^ i know now why im so in love with my good old Gt100 ^^^