Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix HX - Power Supply Woes

pugstarpro

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I have the pedal power 2 and I'd like to run the HX off of it. In this thread there's a post saying I can run 2 9v from it. I have the split cable so I can run 2 of them but the other end of that cable doesn't fit into the HX. Any help? Is there an adaptor? 

1 hour ago, othersuper said:

Hey I have the pedal power 2 and I'd like to run the HX off of it. In this thread there's a post saying I can run 2 9v from it. I have the split cable so I can run 2 of them but the other end of that cable doesn't fit into the HX. Any help? Is there an adaptor? 

First, I would be very careful. I don't believe the pedal power 2 has enough juice for the Stomp.

Second, you do need an adapter, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016BJGZ2U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_WruHCbCZAH8A6

• 5 months later...

I have a cs12 and was wondering myself how to power the stomp on my pedal board. Basically, plug the green adapter into the stomp, the red adapter into the green one then whatever cable from the cs12 into the red one. I don't know if other power supplies come with all the adapters however. You're welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't own one, how much amperage does the Stomp pull? And the other gear? Add them up for an over-all idea, then look at the max amperage each port on the power brick/supply will handle. If its lower (gear amp needs are lower) than what the port provides then you are good and there is your answer. In other words, if the port puts out 500 milliamps and the specific gear draws 300 milliamps you're good. If the specific gear draws 2 amps and the port provides 1 amp, you are NOT good.

Edited by spikey
explaining stuff-

15 minutes ago, spikey said:

I don't own one, how much amperage does the Stomp pull? And the other gear? Add them up for an over-all idea, then look at the max amperage each port on the power brick/supply will handle. If its lower (gear amp needs are lower) than what the port provides then you are good and there is your answer. In other words, if the port puts out 500 milliamps and the specific gear draws 300 milliamps you're good. If the specific gear draws 2 amps and the port provides 1 amp, you are NOT good.

Even though the HX stomp says 3A, I saw a video from CIOKS measuring it around 1200mA. The Wah is rated 9 volt 200 mA. The Shure GLXD16 is 9-15 V, 250-400 mA. So my (absolute) newbie conclusion is that it would work, IF i use the amperage doubler cable, right?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 5:31 PM, phil_m said:

A bit over-dramatic, imo... I mean, the power supply that comes with the HXFX isn't that much bigger than a typical wall wart. It's longer than, say, the one that comes with the Strymon pedals, but it's also not as deep. It could actually easily fit under most pedalboards.

Anyway, yes, it is possible to power the HXFX off of a high current power brick. Per the FAQ thread: http://line6.com/support/topic/31555-hx-effects-faq/

So, on this basis and at great expense, I bought a Strymon Zuma R300 for my new pedalboard and connected 2 outputs in parallel using a daisy chain pedal cable. Then I discover that the Helix Effects uses a non-standard pedal cable socket, so normal pedal cables don't fit!! What??

My only current solution is to still use the power cable and adapter from the Helix Effects (which incidentally is very lumpy, maybe extra lumpy because I am in Europe so the US plug has to have some sort of adapter). Then I have two power cables coming out of my floorboard, which kind of negates my original intention of minimizing the number of cables I have to plug in before a gig....

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas? See picture of my floorboard as it is now.

Floorboard1.jpg

3 hours ago, SteveBeaujacks said:

So, on this basis and at great expense, I bought a Strymon Zuma R300 for my new pedalboard and connected 2 outputs in parallel using a daisy chain pedal cable. Then I discover that the Helix Effects uses a non-standard pedal cable socket, so normal pedal cables don't fit!! What??

My only current solution is to still use the power cable and adapter from the Helix Effects (which incidentally is very lumpy, maybe extra lumpy because I am in Europe so the US plug has to have some sort of adapter). Then I have two power cables coming out of my floorboard, which kind of negates my original intention of minimizing the number of cables I have to plug in before a gig....

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas? See picture of my floorboard as it is now.

Floorboard1.jpg

To use the Zuma's 9V outs with the HX Effects, you just need a way to get from a 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel to a 2.5mm x 5.5mm barrel plug. There are a few adapters that do that, but they're oddly expensive. I found it was cheaper to combine a few Voodoo Lab cables and adapters to get there. I use the following:

(1) current double adapter

(1) 2.1mm to 2.1mm reverse polarity cable

(1) 2.1mm to 2.5mm adapter (marketed as an L6 Adapter - this reverses the polarity, so that's why you need the reverse polarity cable as well).

zK6Bvjm.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

I'm trying to figure out how to power my HX Stomp from my Cioks DC7. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone in the States who has the yellow Type 3 Cioks cable (center-negative, 2.5mm) in stock.

I'm wondering if instead I could use a 2.1mm to 2.5mm DC barrel adapter on one of the standard Type 1 Cioks cables. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761HTRBZ

Alternatively, could I use a 2.5mm polarity reversal adapter along with one of the red Type 4 Cioks cables (center-postive, 2.5mm)? Something like this:

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&productId=2271495&catalogId=10001

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but thought I would double check before I fry my HX Stomp!

Thanks!

Richard

On 10/13/2019 at 10:12 AM, richardfwagner said:

Hey All,

I'm trying to figure out how to power my HX Stomp from my Cioks DC7. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone in the States who has the yellow Type 3 Cioks cable (center-negative, 2.5mm) in stock.

Sweetwater has the cables, even if it says no stock, you should call them and check. When I ordered them the website said out of stock, but they actually had them... 

18 hours ago, jamshaman said:

Sweetwater has the cables, even if it says no stock, you should call them and check. When I ordered them the website said out of stock, but they actually had them... 

Thanks for the head's up on Sweetwater. I actually found them in stock on guitareffectspedals.com. Hopefully it arrives soon and my little Stomp-based pedal board will be complete!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

just saying it looks like Gator has come out with a doubling cable that also has the appropriate

2 x 2.1mm Male Right Angle Barrel Plugs & 1 x 2.5mm Straight Male Barrel Plug

so you no longer need to buy a doubler AND a 2.5 conversion

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Current-Doubler-Adapter-GTR-PWR-2XCURR-L6/dp/B08W8J83P8/ref=dp_fod_1?pd_rd_i=B08W8J83P8&psc=1