Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Valves to digital

johnskeggs

Hi to one and all. I'm about to sell my Marshall jvm 410 head and cab, also my laney vh100r both 4x12.

Moving house dictates this as space is at a premium.Going all out for helix rack and control and thinking jbl 308 monitors would save space. Have to add I've never done the modelling thing it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Thinking of adding a couple of mission pedals. Can any of you more knowledgable people advise on anything else I might need. Thanks in advance

A little time and patience :)  Seriously though, it sounds like you have your bases covered as far as equipment.  Don't get frustrated if your patches don't sound as good as you think they should at the beginning.  There are a lot of tips and techniques that are unique to modeling that take may some time to master.  There are many threads about users who immediately regret purchasing only to be amazed after they get a little guidance and are pointed in the right direction.  These forums are a great resource.  I am fairly new to modeling as well and they have been an enormous help.  

• Upvote 1

Sounds like you might be playing as a hobby and don't need the analog for playing out.  If that is in fact the case, it sounds like you've got your bases covered.  I would only say that you should go ahead and get the Helix Native plug-in while it's discounted for Helix buyers.  If you're not already dabbling in studio recording, you probably will be and the Native Plug-in is simply awesome.  This, of course, is contingent upon you're already having a computer and DAW.  Also, go ahead and sell your pedals except for maybe a couple of your very, very favorite.  My personal take (everybody's different) is that if you're going this route - then go with it - and get good at it.  While there is some truth to live performance negative comparisons, Purists who disparage digital equipment over analog are typically making their decisions based upon improper use and their knowledge of historic technology.  Things have come a long way and in my opinion, you simply cannot do better than a Helix (or equal) for home/studio play.  Tube amps and pedal boards are for "loud" live play.  With the Helix the trick is start digital and finish digital (with exception of guitar of course).  There are work-arounds for mixing your old equipment with the Helix using 4 cable method or cab load boxes etc.  But if you're trying to downsize and simplify for home play then just go with the flow. If you do, or plan to, play out you're either going to want to keep some of your old equipment or buy an FRFR powered speaker (like the Line 6 Stagesource or equal) for monitoring your Helix on stage while sending a signal to the FOH.

• Upvote 1

If at all possible. keep your "real" stuff until you have the Helix for a couple of weeks.

When I first stated using the Mesa Boogie Mark IV models (Cali IV), I thought, "these don't sound anything like the real amp."

And then I bought a used Mark IV--and promptly realized that the models sound EXACTLY like the real amp, with some EQ tweaking.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hi to one and all. I'm about to sell my Marshall jvm 410 head and cab, also my laney vh100r both 4x12.

Moving house dictates this as space is at a premium.Going all out for helix rack and control and thinking jbl 308 monitors would save space. Have to add I've never done the modelling thing it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Thinking of adding a couple of mission pedals. Can any of you more knowledgable people advise on anything else I might need. Thanks in advance

Good studio headphones.

• Upvote 1

Hi, thanks for your replys and help. Yes I'm only a hobby player but have had all sorts of gear to go with amps. How's the time to downsize i think and have only heard good things about helix. Also I did have reaper on an old laptop and dabbled with home recording so think I'll get back into that again. Can anyone tell me what cables I might need to hook up said gear I've mentioned in this thread. Thanks again

Hi, thanks for your replys and help. Yes I'm only a hobby player but have had all sorts of gear to go with amps. How's the time to downsize i think and have only heard good things about helix. Also I did have reaper on an old laptop and dabbled with home recording so think I'll get back into that again. Can anyone tell me what cables I might need to hook up said gear I've mentioned in this thread. Thanks again

Just XLR cables for your monitors. Helix comes with a USB cable, that is all you need for connecting to your laptop and record in Reaper, as well as doing backups and updates on Helix with the Edit software. 

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this and I don't think it can be overstated. As you create your patches you have to rethink what you're doing. Many people, when they first get this, are disappointed because it doesn't sound like it does when you're standing next to an amp in a room. This is not what's being simulated. What's really being simulated is an amp in a studio that's been mic'd and what you're hearing is the amp in the studio with you in the isolated control booth through the audio board and the studio monitors. Use it more like a recording engineer in a studio control booth than a guitar player in a room with an amp

• Upvote 1

If at all possible. keep your "real" stuff until you have the Helix for a couple of weeks.

When I first stated using the Mesa Boogie Mark IV models (Cali IV), I thought, "these don't sound anything like the real amp."

And then I bought a used Mark IV--and promptly realized that the models sound EXACTLY like the real amp, with some EQ tweaking.

This is good advice as some players find that they still prefer using a traditional guitar amp on stage for monitoring. Others take the leap (myself included) and go FRFR to maximize the ability to authentically model all of the great amps and cabs in the Helix. Either approach has its advantages and disadvantages. Using a traditional guitar amp means every amp and cab model (assuming you are not only using the Helix for effects) gets colored by your Marshall, Boogie, or whatever. Many players love that sound however. Using an FRFR involves a bit more of a learning curve, particularly on the topic of how to use EQ properly but is well worth it IMHO. Deciding which pieces of your old equipment to keep also depends as others have mentioned largely on whether you intend to primarily play out, home, or in a studio as well as determining which effects either don't appear on the Helix or have such a singular sound in their analog version that you can't live without them.

Just saw this. If you are only going to be playing and recording to a computer a good pair of studio speakers and/or headphones and maybe the analog effects you absolutely can't part with may be all you need. As has also been mentioned you should seriously consider taking advantage of the current 30% off sale on Helix Native in addition to the discount you already get as a Helix owner.

Being able to use a real head (and Strymon pedals) with valves into Helix along with the excellent amps and cabs in Helix and Native is a dream come true for me (and many others). You don't need to go one way or the other (unless you just want to), as Helix allows for both ways.  ;)  I have my DSL 100H and an H&K GM-40 both running thru a single HD-400 hum-destroyer (dual-channels) into separate aux sends and returns in Helix, along with (in their own FX-Loop) a Big Sky, Time-Line and Mobius too (all controlled via midi setup in the Helix editor). Lots of options you can use as Helix is the center of my guitar studio! 

If you have a Boss or another volume pedal you can use it instead of buying multiple Mission expression pedals.  I have one mission for expression, and the Boss for volume.  Works great.

I added a USB mixer to my setup as well. Makes things easy to use and control with my PC.

I use the cheap plastic Line 6 EXP-1 expression pedals. I've had one of them for years, and got another recently. Both for less than the price of one Mission pedal. Yes, they leave my house every week to be played live. They hold up just fine. 

Helix Native is a VST plug in for your DAW and yes, it is essentially a software only version of your floor or rack unit.  If you aren't using Sonar, Pro Tools, Reaper, or any sort of computer recording software then no, you don't need it.  Even if you are doing recording, it's not a requirement.  I use my Helix LT as an audio interface for my DAW and reamping is very easy with it because of its multi channel USB interface, so you have the same power without the latency of software plugins.

Line 6bbd any suggestions on headphones?

Sorry - only just saw this. A few weeks ago (after asking here in the forum) I bought a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Studio 80 ohm headphones which are excellent (typical review here). They have a perfectly good soundstage for my needs but if you want that bit more spatial fidelity, the word is go for the open-back DT 990 Pro Studio instead.

Of course there are other doubtless excellent options and others here will recommend them but I can only speak for what I've tried and tested.

EDIT: Just found a useful headphones guide on another thread - hope this helps.

.... Also I did have reaper on an old laptop and dabbled with home recording so think I'll get back into that again. ...

Helix Native is a VST plug in for your DAW and yes, it is essentially a software only version of your floor or rack unit.  If you aren't using Sonar, Pro Tools, Reaper, or any sort of computer recording software then no, you don't need it.  Even if you are doing recording, it's not a requirement.  I use my Helix LT as an audio interface for my DAW and reamping is very easy with it because of its multi channel USB interface, so you have the same power without the latency of software plugins.

The OP does mention he thinks he is thinking about getting back into recording again.  You make good points about latency of software plugins and the simplicity of using the Helix's reamping capability. Have to say though that as a Helix and Native user I find them to be a powerful and compelling combination that offer a ton of flexibility for a guitarist in a studio and I find the latency in Native to be negligible. You're right he can just use the Helix going forward into his DAW but given the current(offer ends Feb. 28th) 30% discount + the $300 Helix discount, that is $70 he would have to pay for ostensibly a $400 piece piece of software. The fun factor alone justifies it in my opinion as well as benefits like running multiple instances of Native on different tracks in your DAW, copy presets back and forth between Native and the Helix, run ridiculously long signal paths with all the amps and effects you would ever want by combining the Helix and Native or just multiple instance of Native, etc.. And for those times you don't want to fire up the Helix you have it on your computer. Being a Native and Helix owner I have to say I would encourage getting both but you are correct, the Helix alone is also a powerful studio as well as a live performance tool. You can't go wrong with just the Helix, but Native is nice!

Thanks guys for all your help, defiantly going to get the rack and floor units this week. Don't know yet if I'm going to get rid of both amps and cabs yet as I have storage for them but will I use them again I don't know. Thanks again for help no doubt I'll be asking more questions if you good people don't mind.

Guys, but I'm driving myself nuts deciding which active monitors to get. Yamaha hs 5 7 8,, jbl and numerous others. I have a decent size room I play in what suggestions would ye give me for desktop speakers. Thanks in advance as I've never played through near field monitors only combos and big cabs.

Guys, but I'm driving myself nuts deciding which active monitors to get. Yamaha hs 5 7 8,, jbl and numerous others. I have a decent size room I play in what suggestions would ye give me for desktop speakers. Thanks in advance as I've never played through near field monitors only combos and big cabs.

I use KRK Rokits. If you've got a large room you might want 6" cones. Of course there are lots of choices here too, but I suspect any decent mid-market kit will do the trick. Don't buy cheap you should be okay.

Opinions will vary widely...I've got a pair of JBL LSR305's which sound great, and despite their size (5" cones), have plenty of bass response. Space is at a premium in my home "studio", so going bigger wasn't really an option... but since you say you've got room, a little bigger certainly won't hurt.

What you'll definitely want to do, no matter what the size or brand, is get something that will isolate the speakers from whatever they're sitting on...stands, acoustic foam, etc... otherwise you'll tend to have low end coupling issues, and the bass will become artificially prominent at any given setting.

Buy from somewhere with a decent return policy... ultimately the only way to tell if you'll like them is to try them out in your listening environment. Auditioning them in a store can only tell you so much.

What you'll definitely want to do, no matter what the size or brand, is get something that will isolate the speakers from whatever they're sitting on...stands, acoustic foam, etc... otherwise you'll tend to have low end coupling issues, and the bass will become artificially prominent at any given setting.

This  ^ ^ ^ ^

I should have mentioned that my speakers are on stands at either side of the desk.

Line 6bbd any suggestions on headphones?

I use Audio-Technica ATH M50-X.  Not a better set to be had in that price range, imo.

The really nice thing about the Helix is you can use some small speakers or headphones and still get a similar sound to an amp on 10.  It's not the same when you're not moving the air but it's still remarkable.

• Downvote 1

Hello all,

I have recently taken the plunge and bought a Helix Floor unit,  I will be taking some time to learn my way around it an would like to know what any of your experiences are with FRFR speakers are? I will be selling off all off all of my Marshalls at this point and going completely digital.