Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset mode capacitance buttons?

dimebagslash

Hi I’m thinking of buying a Helix this week. Done some research and it looks great.

I have an ES8 and one thing I loved on that was that I could press a preset and then assign a boost that would trigger on the second touch. Essentially allowing me to boost any preset.

Is this do able on Helix? I’m looking specifically for this in preset mode.

Hi I’m thinking of buying a Helix this week. Done some research and it looks great.

I have an ES8 and one thing I loved on that was that I could press a preset and then assign a boost that would trigger on the second touch. Essentially allowing me to boost any preset.

Is this do able on Helix? I’m looking specifically for this in preset mode.

I don't know of any way to do this by pushing a preset switch twice. It is fairly easy though to assign any block's level parameter, or a gain block, a snapshot with increased level, or even the output block's level parameter to a footswitch. I run my Helix with snapshots on the top row and stomps on the bottom and I always assign a gain to the same stomp footswitch. That way it is always right where I expect it to be. Maybe not quite what you were looking for but it works pretty well. Snapshots and multiple stomp parameter assignments in particular give you an even more powerful way to do a boost than the method you describe above because you can for example ratchet the presence or highs down simultaneously when hitting a boost, or the reverse if you prefer, change the parameters of your EQ, etc..

I also have Helix setup with snapshots on the top row and stomps on the bottom row.  Anything I might use momentarily in a song, like a boost, gets assigned to the bottom row as a stomp.  If it is something more involved that requires me to tap dance, I'll create a snapshot for that moment in the song.  Either way, it's one button press.  Want the boost with the same parameters on a different preset?  Copy the block and paste it in the new preset.  

The Helix interface is real easy to use.

Yeah the snapshot thing although cool isn’t really what I was hoping for in this situation. On the ES8 it’s great to have access to 8 desperate Presets at once and be able to boost any of them with one more tap.

I guess programming wise it would be a case of making it so a gain block came on on the second tap?

I guess programming wise it would be a case of making it so a gain block came on on the second tap?

The gain block (or any block) can be saved as on or off within a preset and/or a snapshot.  Alternatively, you can assign the gain block to a foot switch and turn it on or off in stomp mode.  

For example, you're in the middle of a song, your solo is coming up, and you need some boost.  Simply stomp on the switch that has the gain block assigned to it.  If your solo sound is totally different from your rhythm sound, setup a snapshot with everything you need for that solo and use that snapshot the same way you'd use a stomp box.

Hope this helps.  :D