Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to get a kind of "strings" or violin sound from Helix?

Lelik

I tried with the synth/pitch effects (legacy and newer ones) but I could not get anything very useful and tuneful.

My target is to play the lead violin of Bittersweet Symphony (the Verve). I don't care to get a real violin sound, I'd just like something at least slightly different from a distorted guitar tone. 

If you have any suggestion (also about Custom tones that I could download) I will appreciate a lot! 

I tried with the synth/pitch effects (legacy and newer ones) but I could not get anything very useful and tuneful.

My target is to play the lead violin of Bittersweet Symphony (the Verve). I don't care to get a real violin sound, I'd just like something at least slightly different from a distorted guitar tone. 

If you have any suggestion (also about Custom tones that I could download) I will appreciate a lot! 

I put this into Idea-scale a while back.  Maybe it needs more votes.  Or maybe it isn't doable.  Not sure.  I know Line 6 weights the requests, as they should, to better manager their resources.  However, I thought I'd bring this back up in case anyone else would like to vote it up.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Boss-Slow-Gear-SG-1/818934-23508#idea-tab-comments

Dennis

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/22/2020 at 1:37 AM, kevin627 said:

Anyone come up with a solid solution for getting a string/violin/cello sound out of the Helix?

Hi,

Not within the Helix, but you could patch an Electro Harmonix Attack Decay pedal in a send/return. That does the slow attack violin style of effect. Relatively inexpensive add on.

I'm new to Helix line but been using synths for a lot of years.  I actually have a patch somewhat similar to that in my Stomp. It is possible to do with the limited synth models in the unit with layering and effects,certainly  better than distorted guitar.  It won't sound like a real string section ,but in a mix should work.The stomp has limited blocks so on an LT or full Helix even easier. I created it to play on the upper range of a bass,but should work for guitar.

I do cello/violin tones a lot. I always use a generous amount of distortion to simulate the strings chattering under the bow, volume swell and finger vibrato. It takes a little practice but have gotten lots of cudos...

10 hours ago, Bushman2 said:

I do cello/violin tones a lot. I always use a generous amount of distortion to simulate the strings chattering under the bow, volume swell and finger vibrato. It takes a little practice but have gotten lots of cudos...

Would you be able to upload any of these to customtone?  I'd be interested to see how they are built out.

• 2 years later...

I have tried Adriatic swell, Autoswell and a few other gate type effects on the Pod Go. None of them do this very simple trick well. Autoswell kind of comes close but does not reset the gate until the string has been muted. So if you pick notes in succession, the gate stays open, and only the first note of a run is "bowed."

The $99 Zoom GX1 has an awesome Swell patch that works great on single note lines to produce a legato slow-attack bowed violin-ish sound. All you need it to do is roll the volume up each time a note is picked sustain, and then quickly close and reopen when the next note is pitched.  The key is it has to close and reopen with every picked note. I don't know why Line 6 neglects these seemingly easy to produce effect.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:43 AM, BruceKap said:

I have tried Adriatic swell, Autoswell and a few other gate type effects on the Pod Go. None of them do this very simple trick well. Autoswell kind of comes close but does not reset the gate until the string has been muted. So if you pick notes in succession, the gate stays open, and only the first note of a run is "bowed."

The $99 Zoom GX1 has an awesome Swell patch that works great on single note lines to produce a legato slow-attack bowed violin-ish sound. All you need it to do is roll the volume up each time a note is picked sustain, and then quickly close and reopen when the next note is pitched.  The key is it has to close and reopen with every picked note. I don't know why Line 6 neglects these seemingly easy to produce effect.

Try using the Auto-Volume Echo under the Legacy delay menu. If you simply want it to be a swell and not a delay, set the Mix to zero. It's a bit easier to dial in than the other swell effects.

I created a preset, you can download it here. This preset creates an organ pad underneath your playing.  You can switch the sounds with your snapshots.  It's a pretty convincing B3 organ sound with a Leslie.  You can take this preset, and tweak it with some vibrato, chorus, reverb and you'll get pretty convincing violins. 

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5850243/

• Thanks 1