Lelik

How to get a kind of "strings" or violin sound from Helix?

I tried with the synth/pitch effects (legacy and newer ones) but I could not get anything very useful and tuneful.

My target is to play the lead violin of Bittersweet Symphony (the Verve). I don't care to get a real violin sound, I'd just like something at least slightly different from a distorted guitar tone. 

If you have any suggestion (also about Custom tones that I could download) I will appreciate a lot! 

I tried with the synth/pitch effects (legacy and newer ones) but I could not get anything very useful and tuneful.

My target is to play the lead violin of Bittersweet Symphony (the Verve). I don't care to get a real violin sound, I'd just like something at least slightly different from a distorted guitar tone. 

If you have any suggestion (also about Custom tones that I could download) I will appreciate a lot! 

I put this into Idea-scale a while back.  Maybe it needs more votes.  Or maybe it isn't doable.  Not sure.  I know Line 6 weights the requests, as they should, to better manager their resources.  However, I thought I'd bring this back up in case anyone else would like to vote it up.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Boss-Slow-Gear-SG-1/818934-23508#idea-tab-comments

Dennis

• Upvote 1

Have you tried the "auto-volume echo", new with firmware 2.5 and listed under "legacy" in the echo effects?

That gives a nice bowing sound, if not exactly violin-like.

whamy pedal maybe an idea.

To get a more alike violin sound, your best approach would be to play the guitar with a bow. That would get you close enough and with a cool act like Jimmy Page ;)

...or use a clean tone with plenty of sustain/compression (red compressor & Teemah), then use your pedal as a volume pedal to swell the volume as you play notes (or set up auto volume).

Slight distortion. Washy delay and reverb. Lots of finger vibrato. Swell in each not with volume pedal so there's no attack.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:37 AM, kevin627 said:

Anyone come up with a solid solution for getting a string/violin/cello sound out of the Helix?

Hi,

Not within the Helix, but you could patch an Electro Harmonix Attack Decay pedal in a send/return. That does the slow attack violin style of effect. Relatively inexpensive add on.

Consider the Jamorigin Midiguitar 2 and get some soft synths...it works reasonably well and you can use this with your helix. 

I'm new to Helix line but been using synths for a lot of years.  I actually have a patch somewhat similar to that in my Stomp. It is possible to do with the limited synth models in the unit with layering and effects,certainly  better than distorted guitar.  It won't sound like a real string section ,but in a mix should work.The stomp has limited blocks so on an LT or full Helix even easier. I created it to play on the upper range of a bass,but should work for guitar.

I do cello/violin tones a lot. I always use a generous amount of distortion to simulate the strings chattering under the bow, volume swell and finger vibrato. It takes a little practice but have gotten lots of cudos...

10 hours ago, Bushman2 said:

I do cello/violin tones a lot. I always use a generous amount of distortion to simulate the strings chattering under the bow, volume swell and finger vibrato. It takes a little practice but have gotten lots of cudos...

Would you be able to upload any of these to customtone?  I'd be interested to see how they are built out.

Love my E-Bow.  It's absolutely essential for my sound palette. 

• Upvote 1