Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do updates ever remove/replace amps or effects???

rgjohnny

Strange questions but worth asking:  do new firmware updates ONLY add to the existing sound library i.e.. amps, fx, etc. or do they also remove and/or replace?  I seem to recall an early update that changed/replaced some factory presets rather than simply adding new presets but I don't recall if this also applied to the factory sound library as well.  Unfortunately, I've not checked this myself with the past couple of updates.  Essentially, I'm wondering if the latest firmware 2.50 that includes new amp models, HX and Legacy effects will simply be added to the library or replace anything that currently exists.

Up to now I've only seen that amps, cabs & effects were added to the library. With the 2.50 firmware, some effects were moved to the "legacy" category. This category was added to the existing "mono" and "stereo" categories. This applies AFAIK only to the reverbs. But these reverbs are still available and they are still present in the presets where they were used.

Factory presets are sometimes changed/replaced/removed with a new firmware update. I hardly ever use them, but if you do you may want to save the ones you want to keep to a different setlist.

I think it's helpful to distinguish between two different 'sound libraries'.

The most important library is the set of amp/fx models that is built into the firmware. Historically this set is only added to in new firmware updates. Existing models have never been removed as new models are added although sometimes an existing model may be tweaked for improvement.

The second library is the set of factory presets. These are examples of how the first sound library can be used (combined, mixed and matched) to create different sounds. Individual factory presets are sometimes added while others are completely removed and/or replaced in a new firmware update.

• Upvote 1