Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd Pro X Worth It? What About Audio Interface?

markkittus

Hi!

I'm planning to buy the Pro HD Pro, because i think is a good live and studio tool. But, I don't know if going to the "standard" version or the "X" version.

So,

1. How many effects w/ dual amping can you apply with the normal pro? And with the X?

2. Is the DSP the only difference?

3. Acting as audio interface... Is there any difference? How many inputs/outputs do you have? The X is better?

Thanks a lot <3

I"ve got an HD500X on the way, delivered tomorrow.  I've had too many tones I've built with dual amps that I just can't shove that Reverb on the tail end of.

That extra 20% will hopefully give me that option.  If it does, then I won't have to utilize the Sweetwater money back guarantee.  Then there will be yet one more HD500 on the used market, most likely FleEbay...

• 3 months later...

Got an offer for an used HD pro. I currently have the X3 Live and I think it's good when you do the dual amp feature. However it has become a bit unreliable in live situations and I need to upgrade as well (However it will cost me nearly 3 times to buy a new HD pro X) Will I get any DSP problems when running Dual amp and I normally use only one signal chain for 1-3 effects (in rare circumstances I use dist on both channels)? Or is it also dependable of which amps you choose?

it's always going to depend on what you choose...

but you might not find dual amps as necessary as the x3....

the amp models are alot different.
just saying if you approach with an open mind and a tone in your head....

you'll get better results than just trying to do what you've always done.

Got an offer for an used HD pro. I currently have the X3 Live and I think it's good when you do the dual amp feature. However it has become a bit unreliable in live situations and I need to upgrade as well (However it will cost me nearly 3 times to buy a new HD pro X) Will I get any DSP problems when running Dual amp and I normally use only one signal chain for 1-3 effects (in rare circumstances I use dist on both channels)? Or is it also dependable of which amps you choose?

Thanks a lot. Yes I've been thinking it doesn't actually has to be just as necessary in the pod hd line-up, as the X3, as imo most of the one amp signal path in the X3 Live is thin sounding. 
After all it's a good deal and I've have the M9 also so I could use some of the reverbs and delays from that unit (I see most of the people post issues when adding reverbs and delays in the HD)
Btw do you know any people controlling the HD or other pro models with the M-series? (MIDI)
Cheers  :)

I've added an M5 in the loop of my 500 midi connected...

and it works flawlessly with NO configuration whatsoever... sure the m9 would be the same...

all you have to do is change the pod to the tone you want and then change the M pedal to the preset you want...

save the tone on the pod...

next time you select the tone on the pod the M pedal will switch automatically.

Thanks a lot. Yes I've been thinking it doesn't actually has to be just as necessary in the pod hd line-up, as the X3, as imo most of the one amp signal path in the X3 Live is thin sounding. 
After all it's a good deal and I've have the M9 also so I could use some of the reverbs and delays from that unit (I see most of the people post issues when adding reverbs and delays in the HD)
Btw do you know any people controlling the HD or other pro models with the M-series? (MIDI)
Cheers   :)

I've added an M5 in the loop of my 500 midi connected... and it works flawlessly with NO configuration whatsoever... sure the m9 would be the same... all you have to do is change the pod to the tone you want and then change the M pedal to the preset you want...

save the tone on the pod... next time you select the tone on the pod the M pedal will switch automatically.

That's brilliant... I didn't realize M5 had Midi or that it was so easy to save configuration... honestly don't understand why M9 is so expensive either...

yeah thew m5 is a powerhouse for as simple as it is.

i agree with you though... both the m13 and m9 need a 100$ price drop to make sense anymore...

in their current price range they only serve to make the pod hd's more attractive... i mean i'd seriously get a second hd500x before i'd get a m13 if i was shopping retail.

if it was 100$ less it would be a viable option if it met my needs.

yeah thew m5 is a powerhouse for as simple as it is.

i agree with you though... both the m13 and m9 need a 100$ price drop to make sense anymore...

in their current price range they only serve to make the pod hd's more attractive... i mean i'd seriously get a second hd500x before i'd get a m13 if i was shopping retail.

if it was 100$ less it would be a viable option if it met my needs.

I agree too. I've never understood the pricing policy from Line 6 in terms of features and such. E.g The HD 300 with 50 effects and 8 amps, and further on the HD 400 75 effects and 12 amps and in the end HD 500 with 100 effects and 16 amps, will have underlined more the difference in price. The same goes on and on in the Line 6 history. E.g When the Vetta came I never understood the difference between the simulation v the pod and that alone wouldn't explain the price as it's the same really. However it's great products and it's ridiculous the amount of stick Line 6 have got considering what you actually got. As long as you know how to handle it you can get great result for little money.

Will definitive try the set-up if I buy the Pod Hd pro (Well in some time I will have one either way). I hope though they'll release an upgraded shortboard as well with the same buttons as the pod X.

And not to mention a new longboard. That's also one thing i don't understand, how that they didn't invest more time with the longboard. It could have been one of the best board out there with e.g added midi features and instrument input. Would have been a killer to use with other "non-Line6-gear".

Yeah, you get the 99 FX plus the Amp modeling. 

I think the HD500 is worth it just for the amp modelling.

But to answer the OP's question;

It depends upon what you want to play mostly.

Simply,

If you want to play standard covers the HDPRO will do the job. 

If you want to do covers or material like Muse the HDPROX will be best.

Both have an advantage over the floorboard HDs in that you can keep your cabling shorter and closer to the amps if you are using them and run midi controllers on stage.

If you are going straight into the PA well it doesn't matter either iether.

The HDPRO's have a DI out for recording a dry out. I don't think there is a reamp input.

They also record a Dry or Wet out via the spdif as do the HD500s.

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot bjnette :) I've decided for the Pro HD then, as I mainly will use it for standard cover. After all I shouldn't be a problem selling it again if they come up with a new Pro product, or another HD board in some way, that is a bit more powerful than some 20% more as the Pro X is. 

I've just a quick question on this topic :). I'm in the UK and can get a HD500 from my local music store for £350 new. I want to use it for recording guitar for metalcore/screamo music.

Anyway my question is when it comes to recording is it better to record through the usb or use the main outs into my focusrite interface. I'm a bit iffy when it comes to amp modeling and I've only had experience with the guitar 5 and TH2 software but I never though much of them tbh.

if you're into metalcore/screamo... its better that you don't record at all. ever.

:D

I've just a quick question on this topic :). I'm in the UK and can get a HD500 from my local music store for £350 new. I want to use it for recording guitar for metalcore/screamo music.

Anyway my question is when it comes to recording is it better to record through the usb or use the main outs into my focusrite interface. I'm a bit iffy when it comes to amp modeling and I've only had experience with the guitar 5 and TH2 software but I never though much of them tbh.

I'm glad you were able to be a good sport about my joke :)

i think recording via usb will probably be better.... one less analog conversion.

Ha ha! I'm going through a phase! But yeah I just need an awesome sounding distortion for pop punk basically! hatersgonnahate ha ha :P