Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hardware for Native

zivdud

Does anyone have any suggestions for an input (converter, DI box, etc) that matches helix’s 123 decibels ADA converters or something that is close to it. I use a Studiolive 24.4.2 mixer as my interface and a Radial DI Pro but I was noticing the dynamics and feel are not close to the quality of running Helix into the XLR left and right of the mixer. Would an active DI box work better? Something like a tube preamp Laney Ironheart Irt Pulse or just suck it up and upgrade the interface?

i was hoping to not use my helix hardware just because my jam area has an elaborate setup and I hate disconnecting it all to do some recording. Thought about buying another one but it is a bit pricey to buy a new one just for that.

Line 6 mentions: 

• If your audio interface doesn't have a dynamic impedance circuit, several models—especially fuzzes—won't behave like the real thing. Helix and newer Universal Audio interfaces have this

and they also mention mention the 123dB dynamic range spec. The chip set in the Helix hardware only physically supports 114dB, so they must squeeze some extra range out via algorithms. You would be fine with 114 or 117dB in an interface. Also, compare noise specs when shopping. 

I use an Apollo Twin interface. It has good specs and components, and you could use one of their bundled guitar sims for low latency tracking while still getting some decent guitar tone through your headphones. Its got good High-Z input for guitar. Other interfaces are good too....but shop on reviews and specs.

Haven't looked at specs for the Studiolive mixer as an interface. Have you tried it without the DI in the signal path? The importance piece is the A/D and D/A in an interface, if its a good one a DI is usually not needed.

Thanks for your reply. The mixer is the first generation and doesn’t have proper instrument inputs. The Radial DI box improve the level but it still lacks the high end that the helix has. Might need a channel strip that has hi-z input and maybe an active feature. It sounds good when I don’t play it through the helix first but if I made the preset and performed it through the helix and try it through Native it just doesn’t have the same feel.

Yeah, I have been scouring the internet trying to find something that fits my bill. I thought about upgrade my mixer with new StudioLive mk 3 or the Quantum interface by presonus but I got some other purchases first so I will probably keep my old mixer and find something that works for now. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 7:29 AM, zivdud said:

I solved my problem by just getting an active DI and now it sounds just like my Helix Hardware.

I am curious to know about this. I only have Helix Native not the hardware. 

I have just a behringer UMC204HD interface and I feel like i would get better response between my different guitars i.e. having them sound individual and unique  by getting access to the impedance matching that the helix and axefx have. 

does your active DI box provide this effect?

• 2 weeks later...

I also have Helix Native without the hardware.

Does anybody know if these 2 interfaces would be right for Helix Native ?

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/audio-converter/uac-2-usb-30-audio-converter

https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id4/overview/

I´m looking for a good small audio interface like my Line 6 Toneport DI.

I like Zoom stuff, but that UAC2 interface got slammed in the Amazon reviews (latency and driver issues). The Audient got good reviews, and the specs look good for A/D & Hi-Z impedance needed for Helix Native. The Focusrite Clarett would be nice if you can afford it, but its $200 more. It would be nice if you could try the Audient in your studio with a money-back guarantee.

I bought the Focusrite Scarlett Solo specifically to use with Native.  The Solo is, of course, the entry level Focusrite model for $99. I've been very happy with it. I did a quick and dirty comparison with the LT and they are near identical but I would say the LT has a slight edge, but I would say the lay person wouldn't be able to tell the difference. There where a couple times I was even confused to which one I was using.

Before the Focusrite I used the POD HD500 and an old M-Audio Mobile pre. The HD500 worked well, but I couldn't get the latency that I get with the Focusrite and I had problems with Win10 and it's drivers.

When I upgrade my interface I will definitely consider the Clarett.

• Like 1

I use an active Radial DI (phantom power 48v) for my passive guitars; which seem to solve my one issue, and I have a passive Radial DI for my active instruments. I also experiment with using my Line 6 G70 as a DI but it seamed to run a lot hotter signal than I wanted. One weird thing is my PRS Custom 24 gets a more muddy tone when I run it into the active DI, kind of like it is overloading the signal. Not sure if maybe the pickups(which are passive) are just over wound and thus have a higher output or what. I tried another old DOD 275 9volt battery DI and that seem to fix that guitar. Hope this helped. 

I've never fully understood DIs, especially "when are they are really necessary?" Yeah, I understand the whole impedance-matching thing and using quality transformers. But these days so many mixers and audio interfaces include quality Hi-Z inputs. Still ... lots of top artists swear by them, especially the Radials. But is that mainly because they're out and about and have to patch into all sorts of different stuff?

I wish I had a box of them to try with my guitars and bass to see if there is some magic (or only snake oil) for my setup. But its great they're solving problems for some of you guys.

I have a Studiolive 24 that doesn’t have instrument inputs in it so I need a DI box to change the impedance from a mic input into a instrument input. Passive DI for active guitar and Active DI for passive guitars. Another advantage is it allows me to record in multiple signals at the same time; for example: recording bass one direct in, one going to a bass amp where I record it through a mic and another DI from the amp. Than I blend the three tracks together to make it sound really full.