Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting a good clean sound for recording

Tehzim

I can't seem to find a good recording sound for cleans.  They always end up sounding kind of muffled.  I've got a good dirty sound, just want a fresh clean.  This was just my Les Paul, with a Deluxe Vibe and an Ownhammer 212 3/4 Lynchback with a Telefunken MD421.  I have a compressor on it as well.  I want something like the clean sound in the verse of Cemetery Gates by Pantera.  Clear and simple.

Here's a sample of the clean I'm getting.  I've stripped away all the post production.  This is straight from the Helix via USB.  Is it just a matter of EQ?  Or am I missing something?  Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/darkharbor/cleansound

I use the Deluxe Reverb model extensively and like the cleans a lot. I’ve had the best luck by running a 1x12 and 2x12 in parallel. I also use Ownhammer IRs and find that the OH1 and OH1F mixes (a mix of SM57 and R121 mics) from the Quick Start folder sound most like what my ears want to hear. These clips were recorded via USB straight into Logic Pro. It’s a Thinline Tele with GFS Dream 90s rather than a Les Paul with humbuckers, but it will give you an idea of how that arrangement sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/vb-tunes/sets/dream-90-thinline-telecaster

I hope that helps!

I can't seem to find a good recording sound for cleans.  They always end up sounding kind of muffled.  I've got a good dirty sound, just want a fresh clean.  This was just my Les Paul, with a Deluxe Vibe and an Ownhammer 212 3/4 Lynchback with a Telefunken MD421.  I have a compressor on it as well.  I want something like the clean sound in the verse of Cemetery Gates by Pantera.  Clear and simple.

Here's a sample of the clean I'm getting.  I've stripped away all the post production.  This is straight from the Helix via USB.  Is it just a matter of EQ?  Or am I missing something?  Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/darkharbor/cleansound

You may have tried all this already but if not, keep the Drive down as much as you require to get a clean tone on the amp and turn up the 'Ch Volume' and Master(not all the way up) to compensate for overall volume. Play with the tonestack on the amp so you are not pushing the mids and particularly lows too hard if your sound is getting too crunchy or muffled. Make sure you are gain staging everything from the Helix such that the channel on your DAW is not overloaded. Also, try adjusting the 'Sag', 'Bias', and even the BiasX' settings, these can make a big difference depending on the amp. Some amp models simply have cleaner sounds available than others, you may want to try another amp as well as a different IR or even a Helix cab. Check your compressor block to make sure the makeup gain is not set too high.

What he said. And try the JC120, Twin, Archon Clean, and Soldano Clean amps. Max Channel Volume, Master Volume around 3-4, Drive as low as possible for the tone, and compensate with plenty of output gain. Then use the amp tone settings to adjust for any "muffling." Oh, and leave your guitar volume knob below 8. Keep playing, there are good cleans in there...

What he said. And try the JC120, Twin, Archon Clean, and Soldano Clean amps. Max Channel Volume, Master Volume around 3-4, Drive as low as possible for the tone, and compensate with plenty of output gain. Then use the amp tone settings to adjust for any "muffling." Oh, and leave your guitar volume knob below 8. Keep playing, there are good cleans in there...

+1 on this response.  I really love the Soldano and Archon clean amps with a bit of an edge to the Soldano.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll keep tweaking.

I use the Deluxe Reverb model extensively and like the cleans a lot. I’ve had the best luck by running a 1x12 and 2x12 in parallel. I also use Ownhammer IRs and find that the OH1 and OH1F mixes (a mix of SM57 and R121 mics) from the Quick Start folder sound most like what my ears want to hear. These clips were recorded via USB straight into Logic Pro. It’s a Thinline Tele with GFS Dream 90s rather than a Les Paul with humbuckers, but it will give you an idea of how that arrangement sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/vb-tunes/sets/dream-90-thinline-telecaster

I hope that helps!

Thanks!  When you say parallel you mean splitting the signal into 2 cabs right then back together for the output?  I have some of those GFS HB size 90s they are great.

Thanks! When you say parallel you mean splitting the signal into 2 cabs right then back together for the output? I have some of those GFS HB size 90s they are great.

That is correct. After the amp I’ll split the path, put a 1x12 on one path and a 2x12 on the other, then merge them back together. I used to use an A/B splt and play with the balance between the two, but anymore I tend to just go with the even split. And yes, I was very pleasantly surprised by the GFS Dream 90s!

My bet would be the compressor might be fowling you up.  How's it record without the compressor?

Make sure you set the attack to near minimum.  Max will really soften the blow and remove any picking attack.  I'd really spend some time trying different compressor settings.

I only just discovered the Fender Vib, love it as a nice clean punchy sound.  A sound I hadn't been able to get from the deluxe.  Not that I'm any expert with Fender amps, my bet is it's in there. But the Vib with basically default settings, maybe drive turned down a bit sounded just like I expected.