Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to pick up and carry the Helix - handles anyone?

caryashby1

I'm a new owner of a Helix, and right away I noticed that picking it up to move it out of the way at the end of a session was pretty awkward.  No handles?   No grab points?   So far I grab it by the foot pedal, but that is a little sketchy.  Anyone out there have a solution?

I'm a new owner of a Helix, and right away I noticed that picking it up to move it out of the way at the end of a session was pretty awkward. No handles? No grab points? So far I grab it by the foot pedal, but that is a little sketchy. Anyone out there have a solution?

In 30 years, I've never seen a single multi-fx floorboard, modeler, or foot controller that had handles...it's a box. Pick it up like you would any other box.

And grabbing it by the pedal eventually won't end well. It's not designed to hoist anything.

Well....., except it isn't a box. It has very rounded corners, pretty flat, relatively heavy, and fairly hard to grab onto in an efficient manner. So you never wanted to pick up this piece of gear one-handed?

Ok..."box-like", then. Close enough for government work.

Terminology aside, you don't need an engineering degree to figure out that it can be lifted just like other objects that are essentially rectangular solids. And no, can't say I've ever had the need to go one-handed. But even if that was my greatest wish, the thing is what it is, it weighs what it weighs, and as we've all noted, there are no handles. Oh well...I'll play the hand I'm dealt.

Two hands work just fine. One under each end, and lift. Thing weighs about 15 lbs. Doesn't exactly require a forklift.

I want that too, my AX8 had a handle...

That metal bar on front isn't really a handle... It's a kick bar. The HD500(X) had that too, and I remember people talking about them as handles. Technically, I guess you can use them that way, although, it's not anything I've ever done.

• Downvote 1

That metal bar on front isn't really a handle... It's a kick bar. The HD500(X) had that too, and I remember people talking about them as handles. Technically, I guess you can use them that way, although, it's not anything I've ever done.

I rest my case. It's not a serving tray, lol... best first world gripe ever though: "This thing, that is designed to spend it's entire existence on the floor getting stepped on, has no handles!!!" 😂

What really chaps my a$$ though, is my new massage chair. It has no ejection seat, or laser weapons...😉

When I need to move my Helix, I lay the carrying case right next to it on the floor. Then I only need to lift it a few inches and move it less than two feet to put it in the case. I never walk around with it unless it's in the carrying case. Works for me. Personally, I would not want handles on mine. 

I had the Helix LT and it wasn't nice to move it. At the end I always grabbed it from the expression pedal, and I'm afraid it wasn't a very "safe" way.

Now I have the Helix floor, and thanks to its rounded shape on the sides, it's much easier and natural to lift it up for me. 

Every time I think I've seen it all, something such as this thread reminds me that there is absolutely no end to life's inanities...

There is no need for an elaborate intellectual construct here. It's a BOX...

1) Pick up box.

2) Relocate box.

3) Put box down.

Don't grab it by the expression pedal as that is exceedingly stupid... unless you enjoy broken things. Then by all means, game on...

I personally don't like carrying my Helix and instead walk it on a leash, can be a little slow sometimes because it feels it needs to pi$$ on every bush, mailbox, hydrant and other modeler we pass by though. :P

I have picking up the "bits" my Helix leaves behind when I walk mine.... 

I'm a new owner of a Helix, and right away I noticed that picking it up to move it out of the way at the end of a session was pretty awkward.  No handles?   No grab points?   So far I grab it by the foot pedal, but that is a little sketchy.  Anyone out there have a solution?

Hi, I bought my Helix at THOMANN.DE in Germany, they often sell products in bundle with flightcases, in this case a special floorcase for Helix, I can send you a photo of my Helix with case.

I pick mine up by the pedal to pull it out and put it in its bag.

If it can take weight of a grown man's foot on it for several hours multiple times a week (consider the effort to toggle the exp switch) then it's certainly durable enough to carry it's own weight when picked up

Way over thinking this guys

I pick mine up by the pedal to pull it out and put it in its bag.

If it can take weight of a grown man's foot on it for several hours multiple times a week (consider the effort to toggle the exp switch) then it's certainly durable enough to carry it's own weight when picked up

Way over thinking this guys

As stupid as it is to have had a days- long discussion about the advanced engineering principles that govern picking up a box 😂...I would still hesitate to drag the thing around by the expression pedal. Yes, the toe switch requires a good shove, but that's transient...a second or less to toggle it. And it's not where the stress would be if you lift it by the pedal anyway...heaving the full weight of the thing around by the pedal will stress the other end, where it pivots. Now maybe it doesn't matter, but over the years I've managed to break plenty of stuff that seemed indestructible. Why invite problems? Just my 2 cents...

Handles? Let's address the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. What it really needs is wheels.   :)

Elephant? I've trained my helper monkey to carry my Helix...

"Hey, get back here you stupid monkey!"

798930.gif?b64lines=IklUIFdBUyBUSEUgQkVT

Handles? Let's address the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. What it really needs is wheels. :)

As this would essentially turn Helix into a skateboard, it would no doubt make for some awesome YouTube "Spinal Tap" moments... Launching yourself into the front row trying to toggle on a solo boost is hysterical...😉

As this would essentially turn Helix into a skateboard, it would no doubt make for some awesome YouTube "Spinal Tap" moments... Launching yourself into the front row trying to toggle on a solo boost is hysterical...

..all while trying to incorporate skateboard tricks. That would be BA.

Well.....,  except it isn't a box.    It has very rounded corners, pretty flat, relatively heavy, and fairly hard to grab onto in an efficient manner.   So you never wanted to pick up this piece of gear one-handed?   

No, I would never want to pick up something like this one handed.

But I could imagine rigging up a carry handle thingy... Imagine sewing together some straps that would lie underneath the Helix

When you are ready to move it, you pull the straps over both sides of the unit, and maybe have some clips for the side loops so it doesn't slide out the end.

Something like this:

Helix-large%20Straps.png?dl=1

But, no, personally, I just use two hands to pick it up.  I feel safer that way.

I put myself through college driving a fork lift at a lumber yard...I'm thinking of investing in one for Helix transport.

In the meantime, let's keep it going, gents! Together we can make the dumbest thread in history endure forever...after all, it's about community.😉

Forget about good sound and navigating the maze of Helix's capabilities....how do I master the sorcery required to move it from point A to point B?!??!?!?! There's gotta be at least one guitar player at NASA....it's worth a phone call. I'll report back!😂

I personally don't like carrying my Helix and instead walk it on a leash, can be a little slow sometimes because it feels it needs to pi$$ on every bush, mailbox, hydrant and other modeler we pass by though. :P

I just leave mine on a skateboard and ride it around the stage. My back is happy!

Btw, a couple of years ago when I first got my Helix I was determined not to end up with a broken screen or joystick and went heavy-duty with the Gator G-Tour LGW. This case comes with a pedalboard with handles(fits the Helix), plus it rolls. So always an option if you want a serious case for your Helix and handles for when you move it around.  Get a larger size than the LGW if you are planning to place additional pedals on the included pedalboard. You will have to custom cut the velcro attached foam with this case but it only requires a scissor and is simple to do. The backpack is a lot lighter, cheaper, and easier to carry though and seems to have excellent padding. :)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GTourPBLGW--gator-g-tour-large-pedal-board-with-wheels