Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latency when connecting Helix to Mac with USB...

sylcamlle

Hello Line6,

I am French, so i'm trying to explain my problem in English...

I just bought the Helix, test it, and i can say that it's really good ! :D

But when i wire it to my Mac with USB, and Line6 app installed, every thing works fine, but about 1 minute later, the sound that output from the Mac has about 5 to 10 seconds of latency...

I check from my Mac system parameter, and the audio level output is showing that latency, so i think it's a Helix problem...

I wire my head head phones to the "Phone" output of the Helix (with USB wire still in the Mac), and i can hear that there is no more lantency in the headphones...

I installed the last updates from the Line6 Updater app (Last update that i can find on 25 february 2018), but i experienced same problem.

I check in the Line6 forum for any post that can explain that, but i didn't found any answer.

So, I post this because I don't know if i missed changing some configurations and/or parameters to avoid this latency/get a workaround...

Here are some informations :

Mac : MacOSX High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88)

I you want some other informations, just let me know !

Hope you can help,

Thank you for your support, and see you later !

Hello Line6,

I am French, so i'm trying to explain my problem in English...

I just bought the Helix, test it, and i can say that it's really good ! :D

But when i wire it to my Mac with USB, and Line6 app installed, every thing works fine, but about 1 minute later, the sound that output from the Mac has about 5 to 10 seconds of latency...

I had something similar happen just yesterday...I was recording a track, everything was fine, then the guitar suddenly cut out completely, but several seconds later the last few notes I had played suddenly came through...and anything else I played continued to have VERY long latency, several seconds at least.

I'm on the same Mac OS as you, and I did have HX Edit open at the same time that this occurred. I closed the editor, re-seated the USB cable, and restarted my DAW,and everything went back to normal. Don't know if any of those things actually "fixed" the problem, or if it was just some random digital fart somewhere.... hopefully it doesn't return.

Same thing happened to me yesterday. All good until a weird glitch and then a 1 second ish latency. I had the restart helix, then all good. it happened to me once with an other device to plug the guitar direct to computer. So i wonder if the prob is not from core audio.... i am on mac os el captain.

You should open a proper support ticket if it happens on regular basis. I had it only once with the helix, so i am not gonna panic yet :)

For all the people having the latency issue...

Are you monitoring audio played back by your PC/Mac, or are you monitoring your audio from the Helix played through speakers/headphones connected to Helix?

Good question...in my case, I was listening through monitors connected to a Focusrite interface, via a USB hub. I know they suck...but it's s laptop, and I've only got so many ports. Helix is connected directly. I suppose the hub or the interface itself may have just shat the bed temporarily... who knows? But if so, it's a first. I've had the same set-up for years, and this was the one and only latency issue I've had.

Currently, all is well...

For all the people having the latency issue...

Are you monitoring audio played back by your PC/Mac, or are you monitoring your audio from the Helix played through speakers/headphones connected to Helix?

^This.^ Latency should only be an issue for Helix Native users that don't own Helix hardware to monitor through.

Hello everybody,

To Spikey :

I checked what that link shows but there's no message, all seems right...

To Jbuhajla/Soundog :

When i experienced that problem, the Helix was wired to the Mac with the USB wire, and the latency was heard from the Mac output (with GarageBand software), and at the same time, i heard that the sound played with no latency through headphones directly from the Helix... (I don't know if i write well !)

Ok everybody,

I just test again and i just experienced that issue... But when i reselect the output to Helix in the GarageBand software, the latency just disappear, and all worked good...

...Until the next latency !

So, the latency is from the Mac, and not from the Helix itself...

...but is this a bug from any driver ? Is there a workaround ? Or a fix for Mac ?

(edit : ...Or is there any other software that could solve that issue ?)

Thank you for your reply

Latency mainly comes from the software (GarageBand) processing the audio. By the time its done, you hear a delay when monitoring through the software. Its not a bug in the Mac or software, just the way DAWs and audio software work. You can usually reduce the latency in the software: here's an article on GarageBand: https://ourpastimes.com/how-to-adjust-latency-in-garageband-12594258.html

Since you have the Helix hardware, its always best to monitor through the hardware (zero latency), and record either the processed guitar or raw guitar to process later. Or both! The Helix manual explains this pretty well (USB recording).

Ok everybody,

I just test again and i just experienced that issue... But when i reselect the output to Helix in the GarageBand software, the latency just disappear, and all worked good...

...Until the next latency !

So, the latency is from the Mac, and not from the Helix itself...

...but is this a bug from any driver ? Is there a workaround ? Or a fix for Mac ?

(edit : ...Or is there any other software that could solve that issue ?)

Thank you for your reply

You could always go through an interface instead of using USB for your audio connection. The Focusrite stuff has "direct monitoring", which takes the input signal and routes it directly to the headphone and/or monitor outputs. Without the round trip into your DAW and back out again, there's really no possibility of any latency...I think they advertise 1-3ms or something. Whatever it is, it's negligible, and works like a charm. After my episode the other day, I rerouted things this way. It also lets you have a variable output from the Helix master volume control, which is handy, whereas the USB output is fixed.

You'll hear some guys whine about the extra D/A conversion by doing things this way, but if there's a difference in audio quality, I can't hear it. Ymmv...

• Upvote 1

To Soundog/Cruisinon2 :

Ok, i better understand what's going on, i go right now spending hours throught Helix manual !

I think i can turn this post to solve thanks to you ! :D

Thank you very much for your help !

See you later !