Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Traveling (flying) with Helix LT

vstrattomusic

So guys I'm having to move around quite a lot, in some way, I'm starting to regret buying the LT because it's big, and flying with it is well, troublesome. I can't get it on the plane because the backpack exceeds the max allowed measurements, I buy 2 tickets one for me, one for my guitar so the suitcase handlers don't lollipop around with it, last time they messed up my flight case a bit. I've only flown with the LT once so far, what I did is put it in it's plastic, then wrap it up with 3 meters of bubble wrap and pack it real tight with clothes in a big suitcase and then check it in under the plane.

Is this fine or is there anything else I can do to ensure it's survival? I'm a bit worried about the joystick. I think when I bought it, there was something to protect the joystick when I put it out the box but I don't have that anymore..

Mostly paranoid because money.

I highly suggest that you consider purchasing the Line 6 Helix Backpack.  Your LT will fit just fine and it's a very durable case with lots of protection.

Man, I was going to do it, but it exceeds the lenght limit to carry it on the plane by 10 cm more or less. Would it really be safer to check it in under the plane with the backpack (and pay extra) than to do as I said I'm doing now?

I've only flown with the LT once so far, what I did is put it in it's plastic, then wrap it up with 3 meters of bubble wrap and pack it real tight with clothes in a big suitcase and then check it in under the plane.

Ironically I'm at an airport right now (not with my Helix).  I'm not sure what airline you fly with, but if I were you I would purchase the Line 6 Helix Backpack and take it to the plane as a carry-on.  When you board, you can usually give your bag to a flight attendant who will have it taken to baggage section of the plane.  When you arrive at your destination you can usually retrieve your bag right there on the tarmac so it doesn't get sent to the baggage claim.  I see this happen on almost every flight I take in the United States.  I don't think most airlines even charge for this since it's done while boarding.  Hope this helps you!  Good luck!

Ironically I'm at an airport right now (not with my Helix).  I'm not sure what airline you fly with, but if I were you I would purchase the Line 6 Helix Backpack and take it to the plane as a carry-on.  When you board, you can usually give your bag to a flight attendant who will have it taken to baggage section of the plane.  When you arrive at your destination you can usually retrieve your bag right there on the tarmac so it doesn't get sent to the baggage claim.  I see this happen on almost every flight I take in the United States.  I don't think most airlines evencharge for this.

Really? Wow, nope, never seen that in Europe, my flights usually are Spain to UK and the other way around, I actually got some weird looks for going around with a guitar in the airport. See the problem with what you're saying is that it still exceeds the max allowed size and I'm worried that they could just say "no, you have to check it in or you're not getting in" and I could be in trouble.

I can't speak for other airlines because I've just never looked into them but this is one of the cheapest, Vueling.

Man, I was going to do it, but it exceeds the lenght limit to carry it on the plane by 10 cm more or less. Would it really be safer to check it in under the plane with the backpack (and pay extra) than to do as I said I'm doing now?

To my U.S. decimal impaired brain 10cm is only about 4 inches. I wonder if a couple of compression straps or bungee cords would get you down to the accepted limit on the backpack or at least close enough to get through the gate.

Ironically I'm at an airport right now (not with my Helix).  I'm not sure what airline you fly with, but if I were you I would purchase the Line 6 Helix Backpack and take it to the plane as a carry-on.  When you board, you can usually give your bag to a flight attendant who will have it taken to baggage section of the plane.  When you arrive at your destination you can usually retrieve your bag right there on the tarmac so it doesn't get sent to the baggage claim.  I see this happen on almost every flight I take in the United States.  I don't think most airlines even charge for this since it's done while boarding.  Hope this helps you!  Good luck!

^^^ This! I think for most flights as long as you could get it through the gate, for anything maybe but a puddle-jumper flight with tiny overheads, you could either put it in the overhead compartment or as VirtualGuitars mentioned hand it off to a flight attendant for placement in the storage compartments towards the front.

• Upvote 1

^^^ This! I think for most flights as long as you could get it through the gate, for anything but a puddle-jumper flight with tiny overheads, you could either put it in the overhead compartment or as VirtualGuitars mentioned hand it off to a flight attendant for placement in the storage compartments towards the front.

Thanks. I'll be here all week.   :)

And I am about to fly on another small plane where this same thing occurred on my first flight today.

Given the size of baggage they do let people in the cabin with (when ANYONE could see that it's bigger than the "allotted size" for carry-on)... I would bet you would be OK. If you wear it as a backpack while you get on the plane... I don't think it will even phase them.

Going to put this all to the test in August with a trip to upstate NY.