Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Considering returning G75...

Perfect

I’ve been gigging with a Line 6 G30 for years and it has been reliable (except for PSU cables wearing) although on the odd occasion I have wished for something with more power/range when playing a venue where I can run around outside. Through these forums I was made aware of a good deal on the Line 6 Relay G75, described in glowing terms by Line 6 "Relay G70 and G75 deliver the best reliability and sound quality of any wireless system. A high-resolution pure digital radio captures your signal with four calibrated internal antennas, then immediately digitizes the RF signal. Super-high-resolution digital processing with triple RF filtering, fully optimized in-band rejection, and improved near-far response ensures clear channel performance."

The G75 arrived today and the unboxing was favourable with metal construction, more options and a much bigger receiver than the plastic G30. Plugged in the G75 and the sound quality seems good with a nice clear signal into my Helix. I then started recording and took a wander with my guitar to test the reception, which unfortunately showed significant dropouts on playback. I then plugged in my G30 and walked the exact same route – no drop outs at all. Following this I have played with channel scanning (trying channels with both the least and the most signal bars in case I was getting it wrong) updated the firmware and taken numerous walks with both wireless systems. The result is still the same that the G75 has less range than the G30 and drops out where the G30 doesn’t. This is very disappointing and appears to be a downgrade in a key performance area for a wireless system. I thought the newer/higher end systems were supposed to have a 300 foot range compared to the 100 foot "line of sight" range of the G30…

So right now I’m pondering whether to try and return the G75 as I want more range at gigs, not less. Any thoughts or suggestions please? Is there something that I’m missing/doing wrong?

I’ve been gigging with a Line 6 G30 for years and it has been reliable (except for PSU cables wearing) although on the odd occasion I have wished for something with more power/range when playing a venue where I can run around outside. Through these forums I was made aware of a good deal on the Line 6 Relay G75, described in glowing terms by Line 6 "Relay G70 and G75 deliver the best reliability and sound quality of any wireless system. A high-resolution pure digital radio captures your signal with four calibrated internal antennas, then immediately digitizes the RF signal. Super-high-resolution digital processing with triple RF filtering, fully optimized in-band rejection, and improved near-far response ensures clear channel performance."

The G75 arrived today and the unboxing was favourable with metal construction, more options and a much bigger receiver than the plastic G30. Plugged in the G75 and the sound quality seems good with a nice clear signal into my Helix. I then started recording and took a wander with my guitar to test the reception, which unfortunately showed significant dropouts on playback. I then plugged in my G30 and walked the exact same route – no drop outs at all. Following this I have played with channel scanning (trying channels with both the least and the most signal bars in case I was getting it wrong) updated the firmware and taken numerous walks with both wireless systems. The result is still the same that the G75 has less range than the G30 and drops out where the G30 doesn’t. This is very disappointing and appears to be a downgrade in a key performance area for a wireless system. I thought the newer/higher end systems were supposed to have a 300 foot range compared to the 100 foot range of the G30…

So right now I’m pondering whether to try and return the G75 as I want more range at gigs, not less. Any thoughts or suggestions please? Is there something that I’m missing/doing wrong?

You can tweak the wireless channels.  I have a G70 and use it with my Helix everyday.  No issues.

You can tweak the wireless channels.  I have a G70 and use it with my Helix everyday.  No issues.

Hi. How do you suggest tweaking the wireless channels please? Is this something other than running a scan and then selecting the channel with the least interference?

I raised a support ticket about the G75, however the response doesn't even attempt to address the issue raised i.e. the G75 having worse range and more dropouts than the G30. Instead, for no readily apparent reason, it explains how to update the firmware on a G30... 

Check out pages 5.3 and 5.4 of the Advanced Guide for instructions on how to use the Auto Scan feature: https://line6.com/data/6/0a064339312b551b201bd3ec1/application/pdf/Relay%20G70%20&%20G75%20Advanced%20Guide%20(RevA)%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

I have both the G70 and G75 and have used them in a lot of different venues, and have never had any issues with dropouts.

Check out pages 5.3 and 5.4 of the Advanced Guide for instructions on how to use the Auto Scan feature: https://line6.com/data/6/0a064339312b551b201bd3ec1/application/pdf/Relay%20G70%20&%20G75%20Advanced%20Guide%20(RevA)%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

I have both the G70 and G75 and have used them in a lot of different venues, and have never had any issues with dropouts.

Hi Phil.

Yes that is the procedure I have now followed numerous times. However, the G75 still has significantly less range before dropping our than my G30, which just seems wrong.

Well, where are you doing your range tests? I guess my only recommendation would be to test it more than just one environment if at all possible. There could be something causing interference with the G75 somewhere that's not affecting the G30 in that particular space.