Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Continuous High Frequency Ringing G10 Wireless

Sumatra_Gold

Hi guys,

Before getting into the problem I've encountered, I want to say that I love this little unit. I can't detect any tone coloration when the unit is active. It's super easy to use and portable enough I can fit it in my gig bag. 

However, last night I used it in rehearsal with live volume, of course, and  noticed a very annoying continuous high frequency ringing. You do not notice this during songs...or I haven't yet. But between songs it's very noticeable and like I said, just super annoying. 

I tried to open a support ticket, but got stuck in a closed loop on the website and couldn't figure out how to open one. Every time I try, it just takes me back to the create a support ticket page with the search function. So now I'm doubly annoyed lol.

I did go ahead and check the firmware. It is up-to-date. So I've pretty much hit a wall here.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi guys,

Before getting into the problem I've encountered, I want to say that I love this little unit. I can't detect any tone coloration when the unit is active. It's super easy to use and portable enough I can fit it in my gig bag. 

However, last night I used it in rehearsal with live volume, of course, and  noticed a very annoying continuous high frequency ringing. You do not notice this during songs...or I haven't yet. But between songs it's very noticeable and like I said, just super annoying. 

I tried to open a support ticket, but got stuck in a closed loop on the website and couldn't figure out how to open one. Every time I try, it just takes me back to the create a support ticket page with the search function. So now I'm doubly annoyed lol.

I did go ahead and check the firmware. It is up-to-date. So I've pretty much hit a wall here.

Thank you!

What guitar are you using? I believe some piezo equipped guitars did this, but was remedied by using the supplied 1/4" adapter. 

Hi guys,

Thank you!

I just came to the Forum looking for other reports of the same issue. I have noticed the same on my less than a week unit. The high frequency ringing happens even if I do not plug the transmitter to any guitar and I just press the on/off button. Of course it happens with all my guitars, Passive or Active, Adaptor plug or not.

I was about to open my own support ticket.

What guitar are you using? I believe some piezo equipped guitars did this, but was remedied by using the supplied 1/4" adapter. 

This is not a piezo equipped guitar. It's all magnetics and no preamps or other active type electronics. I shared my issue with the admin at the L6 facebook page, since I was unable to open a support ticket, he asked for my email and said he'd have support reach out to me. That was yesterday. Documentation says it can take up to 3 days to get a response via support. So I'll wait for now.

I just came to the Forum looking for other reports of the same issue. I have noticed the same on my less than a week unit. The high frequency ringing happens even if I do not plug the transmitter to any guitar and I just press the on/off button. Of course it happens with all my guitars, Passive or Active, Adaptor plug or not.

I was about to open my own support ticket.

There are others in the forums who have had this issue. But I didn't see any fix applicable to my situation. You might be interested in knowing that I did find a work-around in lieu of getting a response from L6. I use the Helix LT for all my guitar and bass needs. It has a noise gate that works very well. I went ahead and dropped that in at the beginning of my signal chains and that seems to have nixed the noise for now. Good luck to you and please respond back if and when you get a resolution on this issue.

There are others in the forums who have had this issue. But I didn't see any fix applicable to my situation. You might be interested in knowing that I did find a work-around in lieu of getting a response from L6. I use the Helix LT for all my guitar and bass needs. It has a noise gate that works very well. I went ahead and dropped that in at the beginning of my signal chains and that seems to have nixed the noise for now. Good luck to you and please respond back if and when you get a resolution on this issue.

It took me long to realize about that sound because all my patches use Noise gates. Yesterday I went to create a patch from scratch and had not included the gate and there is when I realized about the high pitch noise. Yeah a noise gate is a workaround but still I believe there must be something wrong with the unit.

Did I mention the noise is still there even with no guitar plugged in? Does that happen to you?

• Upvote 1

Ok I have done some more troubleshooting based on other posts and it seems the high frequency (2.4Ghz) gets oddly leaked from the G10's Antenna to the Tip/Hot signals and this it is heard on the amp.

When I used a regular cable and in the other end a female-female 1/4inch adapter with the G10 transmitter connected to it, the noise is gone unless I move the transmitter close to the guitar. This clearly shows the transmitter's communications with the receiver is the source of the noise and gets coupled though the audio path on the guitar side.

I doubt there is a solution to this unless they release a G10 operating at 5Ghz, even then, not sure the signal would be heard.

This issue totally defeats the purpose of the G10.

Ok I have done some more troubleshooting based on other posts and it seems the high frequency (2.4Ghz) gets oddly leaked from the G10's Antenna to the Tip/Hot signals and this it is heard on the amp.

When I used a regular cable and in the other end a female-female 1/4inch adapter with the G10 transmitter connected to it, the noise is gone unless I move the transmitter close to the guitar. This clearly shows the transmitter's communications with the receiver is the source of the noise and gets coupled though the audio path on the guitar side.

I doubt there is a solution to this unless they release a G10 operating at 5Ghz, even then, not sure the signal would be heard.

This issue totally defeats the purpose of the G10.

You're probably right. But I'm not giving up yet. I'll just continue to wait for that email from support for the time being and use the noise gate as my "solution." Thanks for responding back with your test conclusions. I appreciate it.

It may be a hardware issue. 2.4GHz is not in the audible spectrum, but you may be correct that something in the transmission circuit (outside of the 2.4GHz propagation) may be causing noise/EMI that is being picked up by either your guitar pickups or cabling. Definitely open support tickets. 

It may be a hardware issue. 2.4GHz is not in the audible spectrum, but you may be correct that something in the transmission circuit (outside of the 2.4GHz propagation) may be causing noise/EMI that is being picked up by either your guitar pickups or cabling. Definitely open support tickets. 

Thank you. That was my understanding. I have opened my support ticket and still waiting for response.

I have one guitar en special that the issue is very bad though and was the one that made me realize the issue existed.

Response from Line 6 support.

"I have seen this happen with some guitars that have active electronic, or come with a built-in preamps such as the MusicMan guitar that is pictured in the attached file.
I've had one person create a buffer with a cable, that made the noise go away. So I know what you mean.

However, this should not be happening with passive guitars like Stratocasters or Telecasters or Les Pauls.

If you continue to encounter this issue with passive guitars, then it maybe something in the environment.  Otherwise there is a chance it could be the transmitter itself.

If it continues to happen, I would suggest getting the G10 system replace with your retailer."

So I will contact my retailer for a replacement.

• 2 years later...

I just purchased  from a private party the  Spider V60 MKII amp that came with a Line 6 G10T.

After installing the new firmware for the amp and relay I began encountering this same issue.  

I tested  the relay on my Traveler guitar (EG-1) , Ibanez semi hollow body (AGS7T),  and LTD bass (B-404), all have the same hiss.  

Using a regular 1/4" mono cable I didn't encounter any of these issues so I'm sure it is the G10T relay. 

Notes:

-The  hiss is much worse on presets with higher gains.  

- Any sound that uses "drive" has a hiss. 

- lowering the drive volume completely eliminates the hiss when using the G10. Of course that also completely eliminates  the distortion so it's not a solution. 

- I noticed it on several of the chorus presets as well. 

- WORKAROUND?

-lowering the drive completely and then gradually raising it you can find a level just below the preset drive level that doesn't have as bad of a hiss. 

again this isn't really a fix since you won't get the sound you are looking for without the same level of gain.. 

Any tips would be appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I should note that the G10T  does not accept a signal from the Traveler guitars internal sounds ( CLEAN, DISTORTION), 

instead a green light will continuously blink.

It (G10T)  will only work when the selector on the Traveler Guitar is in the "off" position. 

A regular 1/4" mono cable will transmit the internal sounds to the amp ( Spider V60 MKII). 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------