Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to assign default expression pedal EXP1/EXP2 on Helix?

ucnick

I am a newcomer to Helix. Getting some really great tones.

However, whenever I create a patch that requires the built-in EXP, I have noticed that the default expression pedal selected on the unit always seems to be EXP2, unless I save it as EXP1 in a preset. Is there a way to define the default expression pedal as EXP1 globally, or is it only possible locally? Thanks for the help!

I am a newcomer to Helix. Getting some really great tones.

However, whenever I create a patch that requires the built-in EXP, I have noticed that the default expression pedal selected on the unit always seems to be EXP2, unless I save it as EXP1 in a preset. Is there a way to define the default expression pedal as EXP1 globally, or is it only possible locally? Thanks for the help!

Nope, you can't do it globally. Just per preset as you describe. 

Thanks. 

Also, I was looking through the FAQs, there is a way to force it to EXP1 globally by using an external 1/4" jack in the EXP2 jack:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helix-snapshots-and-exp-pedal-recall-r825

That article is a bit outdated as that was talking about the state of the onboard pedal and how it relates to snapshots. The state of the pedal is recalled with snapshot now, fwiw. Anyways, it doesn't have anything to do with your initial question. The controllers that are set as the defaults in the effects blocks will remain the same regardless of whether you an external pedal plugged in or not.

I use a couple of the cheap plastic Line 6 EXP1 pedals. I have had one of them for years. You can get two of them for less than the price of one mission pedal. If you use a single expression plugged into the EXP2 port, then the on board defaults to EXP1. I use two external so each is dedicated. 

As a general best practice if you are only using the Helix's expression pedal I highly recommend against changing the default for the volume block to EXP 1. You probably only want to do this if you need to accommodate an external pedal(s) setup that you wish to configure differently. The reason being that the Helix and LT automatically set up Volume blocks on EXP 2 and Wah blocks on EXP 1 by default. All you are going to end up doing is causing yourself additional unnecessary  reconfiguration every time you add a volume and wah block in the same preset. And as has been pointed out, you will have to remember that most Factory or third party presets are going to have the default configuration for volume and wah(which will now be different than your alternate setup). I generally plug my additional expression pedal into EXP 3 to cause minimal disruption to the Helix default assignments on their internal pedal.

From a logical standpoint it would have made more sense to me to make the Volume block default to EXP 1 and the Wah to EXP 2 but that is not how they did it and generally it is simpler to let the Helix/LT manage this assignment unless you have additional expression pedals attached and need to modify it.

As a general best practice if you are only using the Helix's expression pedal I highly recommend against changing the default for the volume block to EXP 1. You probably only want to do this if you need to accommodate an external pedal(s) setup that you wish to configure differently. The reason being that the Helix and LT automatically set up Volume blocks on EXP 2 and Wah blocks on EXP 1 by default. All you are going to end up doing is causing yourself additional unnecessary  reconfiguration every time you add a volume and wah block in the same preset. And as has been pointed out, you will have to remember that most Factory or third party presets are going to have the default configuration for volume and wah(which will now be different than your alternate setup). I generally plug my additional expression pedal into EXP 3 to cause minimal disruption to the Helix default assignments on their internal pedal.

From a logical standpoint it would have made more sense to me to make the Volume block default to EXP 1 and the Wah to EXP 2 but that is not how they did it and generally it is simpler to let the Helix/LT manage this assignment unless you have additional expression pedals attached and need to modify it.

I agree with everything here.

Important safety tip. Thanks Egon!

I have some Dunlop DVP4 mini expression pedals that I used with my (cough cough) AX8 that I will likely repurpose. The external pedals come in handy when I need to cover the modeler with clear plastic tarp when drunks holding drinks are cavorting madly on the dance floor. Saved my gear more than once.

• 9 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 11:03 AM, HonestOpinion said:

I just bought the helix... how do switch from exp 1 to exp 2 if I want to use wah and volume pedal? I tried pressing it down hard to change it but it seems like its not working. Let me know how to do it! Thanks!

I bought 2 off those Dunlop Minis and they work awesome- through I had to flip the internal switch on the pedals and then in global expression setting change the polarity in helix.  Also I set my exp. 2 to global and I add a volume pedal to the end of my chain unless there is no room in the preset and in that case I control the volume by the output level (but I lose trails with this approach so not a perfect solution).  I mainly use expression 1 for wah. I set exp. 3 to control my delay mix and I have a toggle switch set to also use exp. 3 with my Jam Origin Midi guitar synth app  on my IPAD.  Of course snapshots make it not necessary for some of this exp. pedal control but for me I like to have that (less to more by ear) control while playing.  So ,any possibilities!

On 12/4/2018 at 3:59 PM, kphyoun said:

I just bought the helix... how do switch from exp 1 to exp 2 if I want to use wah and volume pedal? I tried pressing it down hard to change it but it seems like its not working. Let me know how to do it! Thanks!

I suppose this could be caused by a couple of things barring an outright failure of the expression pedal's switch. Some folks have found the switch to be harder to press down than they anticipated, especially at first. Make sure you have your Helix on a hard surface and give it a firm press.  Alternatively it could be your assignments. Would assume you are testing without any other external expression pedals plugged in and at least for the purposes of testing I would find it easiest as per my original comment to just accept the default switch assignments for volume/wah blocks.  Good luck with this.