Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB Cables

jbright44

What USB Cables have you guys had good luck with?  I still have lots of USB issues with my Helix and one thing I noticed is that when I'm connected to the PC (Mac) whenever I step on the volume pedal, the helix drops connection.  We'll go through this dance where I disconnect, reconnect and restart the helix 4 or 5 times with it doing this and then it will eventually stop screwing up and work.  I'm wondering if it's the cable.

What USB cables have you guys had good luck with??

A USB cable is a USB cable....try another one. Marketing bull$hit will attempt to convince you that magic alloy connectors, or fancy braided coverings are "better" at moving 1's and 0's from point A to point B, but that's a load of crap...all they are is more expensive. It either works, or it doesn't.

• Upvote 1

A USB cable is a USB cable....try another one. Marketing bull$hit will attempt to convince you that magic alloy connectors, or fancy braided coverings are "better" at moving 1's and 0's from point A to point B, but all they are is more expensive. It either works, or it doesn't.

Exactly, for the most part (as there may be rare exceptions) digital cables either work, or they don't.

Something else may be going on .... maybe a bad USB connector? FYI, 1's and 0's aren't moving through a USB cable, its not digital. Larger, more conductive wires are better. Shorter lengths are better. Ferrite chokes (those lumpy things on some cables) aren't required. But for sure, a USB usually work or it doesn't, and there's no need buy snake oil cables. But check you connectors ... wiggle the end of the cable and test it.

Something else may be going on .... maybe a bad USB connector? FYI, 1's and 0's aren't moving through a USB cable, its not digital...

OK fine...encoded voltage changes travel along the wire. But what's being encode? 1's and 0's, no? If I'm wrong, so be it... but if not, we're splitting hairs.

Either way, the data either gets there, or it doesn't.

OK fine...encoded voltage changes travel along the wire. But what's being encode? 1's and 0's, no? If I'm wrong, so be it... but if not, we're splitting hairs.

Either way, the data either gets there, or it doesn't.

Sorry, wasn't trying to throw any shade your way .... and you're absolutely right, its splitting hairs in this case ... either way the OP might be losing connection via either a faulty cable (intermittent wire or shield) or a faulty USB connector on Helix or the PC.

@jbright44, you aren't using a USB hub by any chance, are you — they are notorious for messing up connections.