Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mic input on Helix floor unit

abaxe

I was wondering about successful use of the mic input on the Helix. I haven't tried it yet but I will be buying a condenser mic and I know phantom power can be set up in global settings. However I've read that people have come across issues with this in the Helix. Is there a demo video or tutorial on this. When I try/test it I'll probably just use a template preset but I'll be using the Helix as my interface into Logic for recording... thanks

I was wondering about successful use of the mic input on the Helix. I haven't tried it yet but I will be buying a condenser mic and I know phantom power can be set up in global settings. However I've read that people have come across issues with this in the Helix. Is there a demo video or tutorial on this. When I try/test it I'll probably just use a template preset but I'll be using the Helix as my interface into Logic for recording... thanks

Judging by reports, the mic input circuitry seems to be a bit fragile. There are two main rules. Make sure you don't use a shorted cable, and don't plug or unplug the microphone while the Helix is on and set to provide phantom power to the mic.

• Upvote 1

Judging by reports, the mic input circuitry seems to be a bit fragile. There are two main rules. Make sure you don't use a shorted cable, and don't plug or unplug the microphone while the Helix is on and set to provide phantom power to the mic.

Glad I read this. I've been hotplugging my condenser since I got my new helix last week. Won't be doing that from now on.

Glad I read this. I've been hotplugging my condenser since I got my new helix last week. Won't be doing that from now on.

might depend on the unit, too. I've literally been hot-plugging my condenser mic in for over 2 years with my rack. No issues.

might depend on the unit, too. I've literally been hot-plugging my condenser mic in for over 2 years with my rack. No issues.

Yep, might depend on the unit but I would hate to find out mine was one of the affected ones, especially out of warranty. Best practice in my opinion, don't hot-plug it with phantom power engaged.

It also depends on the mic. Some condenser mics might have been designed to minimise the impact of hot-plugging into a unit with inadequate input protection. Also, never plug an XLR output from powered equipment (eg. wireless receiver, outboard effects units, etc) into a phantom powered input (Helix or otherwise).