Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-59 Horrible picking noise

Hello all!

I've had my JTV-59 for about a week now and loving the mags with my Helix LT, but not so much the modelling.

The main issue I have is a harmonic/scratching sound when picking the low E, especially when played open or on the lower frets. It's more noticeable when used with high gain presets on the Helix. I've downloaded several popular high gain Helix presets, which are designed for use with a variax, but they all sound terrible.

I've tried the following:

All firmware up-to-date

Reinstalled the latest JTV firmware

Using latest version of Workbench

Any ideas?

Also with the guitar connected to Workbench, are you supposed to be able to edit the current preset and hear the results real-time without saving the changes back to the guitar? 

Thanks

Is it a raised fret? The piezo pickups are much more sensitive to fret buzz than magnetic pickups are.

Yes in Workbench you can make any changes you want (in the currently loaded model buffer) - Workbench will allow you to have any number of edited models in the current editing session and you can switch between them. To make them permanent you have to upload them to Variax, and you can restore the original version by downloading from Variax again (when it opens workbench downloads all of the current presets).

Hello all!

I've had my JTV-59 for about a week now and loving the mags with my Helix LT, but not so much the modelling.

The main issue I have is a harmonic/scratching sound when picking the low E, especially when played open or on the lower frets. It's more noticeable when used with high gain presets on the Helix. I've downloaded several popular high gain Helix presets, which are designed for use with a variax, but they all sound terrible.

I've tried the following:

All firmware up-to-date

Reinstalled the latest JTV firmware

Using latest version of Workbench

Any ideas?

Also with the guitar connected to Workbench, are you supposed to be able to edit the current preset and hear the results real-time without saving the changes back to the guitar?

Thanks

Welcome to "piezo plink". There are countless threads about this issue... including one entitled "Do you have the same problem with the 6th string?", which has endured for years... you'll need 2 weeks vacation to read the whole thing. Basically, some guitars suffer from it, and others don't. Multiple factors contribute to it, and multiple home-spun remedies have made the rounds... some work, some don't. In a nutshell, you either have an afflicted guitar or you don't. If you've only had it a week, I'd suggest exchanging it for another one.

I hate to see people struggling with this. It was frustrating as hell for my on my 59. I eventually sorted it out by installing someone else's Variax bundle, but I wasted many hours trying to find a work-around.

My JTV89F never had the problem at all.

All, thanks for your replies!

I hate to see people struggling with this. It was frustrating as hell for my on my 59. I eventually sorted it out by installing someone else's Variax bundle, but I wasted many hours trying to find a work-around.

My JTV89F never had the problem at all.

When you say "Variax bundle", is that referring to the presets? (Sorry new at this) 

All, thanks for your replies!

When you say "Variax bundle", is that referring to the presets? (Sorry new at this) 

Yes. 

My advice is to join this forum...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=138.0

I would go to the Variax sub-forum, where guys post their JTV presets and bundles. Through trial and error you should be able to find bundles that work for you.

I would share my bundle with you, but most of my presets are from a purchased Helix bundle from Fremen. http://line6.com/support/topic/22156-fremen-big-pack-175-presets/

Yes. 

My advice is to join this forum...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=138.0

I would go to the Variax sub-forum, where guys post their JTV presets and bundles. Through trial and error you should be able to find bundles that work for you.

I would share my bundle with you, but most of my presets are from a purchased Helix bundle from Fremen. http://line6.com/support/topic/22156-fremen-big-pack-175-presets/

Thanks for the advice.

I have been considering purchasing the Fremen big pack, but I was under the impression these packs only include presets for the Helix. Do these packs also include Variax preset/bundles?

the only information about variax concerned the acoustic patch :

I used my Yamaha electro-acoustic guitar sound as a base, and made tonematches for the following electric guitars :

– Variax JTV 89 with DiMarzio Norton and LiquiFire magnetic pickups (5 presets)

– JTV89 Variax models of acoustic guitar (1 preset), Telecaster (3 presets), Les Paul (3 presets) and Fender Stratocaster (4 presets)

But it means that he has created tones to sounds like acoustics based on this models/pickups, no where I've seen that there's a variax bundle (has he modified his variax parameters in workbench ) ?

Glenn Delaunay purpose custom bundle for variax on his website, I don't know how it sounds.......

the only information about variax concerned the acoustic patch :

I used my Yamaha electro-acoustic guitar sound as a base, and made tonematches for the following electric guitars :

– Variax JTV 89 with DiMarzio Norton and LiquiFire magnetic pickups (5 presets)

– JTV89 Variax models of acoustic guitar (1 preset), Telecaster (3 presets), Les Paul (3 presets) and Fender Stratocaster (4 presets)

But it means that he has created tones to sounds like acoustics based on this models/pickups, no where I've seen that there's a variax bundle (has he modified his variax parameters in workbench ) ?

Glenn Delaunay purpose custom bundle for variax on his website, I don't know how it sounds.......

Dialing everything in yourself will ALWAYS be faster than trying to get somebody's else's patches/ custom models to bend to your will. There are simply too many variables in play.