Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stevic's Shuriken Variax & Helix Presentation from NAMM

phil_m

Such a huge fan of his. He always cracks me up that and he has many great ideas and expanding what I thought I could do with my variax. The second song reminded me of Faith No More.

• Upvote 1

This is a cool video that Line 6 posted on their Youtube channel yesterday. Interesting seeing all the crazy things Stevic is doing as far as alternate tunings and muting strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axQCWkBCN-s&sns=fb

Watching the video I thought "with that technology, I could actually just ride an open string for the whole song and let the variax play the actual notes"

Sure enough, that's what he actually ended up doing (almost)

I wonder at what point it stops feeling like your playing a "real" instrument

Watching the video I thought "with that technology, I could actually just ride an open string for the whole song and let the variax play the actual notes"

Sure enough, that's what he actually ended up doing (almost)

I wonder at what point it stops feeling like your playing a "real" instrument

I don't think you and I are watching the same video if you think that's what he was doing most of the time... He actually does relatively little of that.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you and I are watching the same video if you think that's what he was doing most of the time... He actually does relatively little of that.

Not what I was implying, he only does it in the last minute of the video to demonstrate how powerful it is. It just made me wonder how far we can push technology before reaching a point where it isn't "live" playing anymore and where you'd lose the satisfaction of playing an instrument (it was not so far from just pushing a button and letting the backing track play the song)

It is a crazy technology and I've been thinking about buying one for months. I definitely would have one if I was playing live more often. When playing at home, you can take the time to switch guitars and tunings, variax loses much of its appeal.

But if I see a uses one on the market, you can bet I'll buy it ;)

Thanks Phil, that was amazing and I want that guitar now.  :D

But, where or when can we get it in that color???

And is the one for sale now (Matte Black) made of the same wood as the one demo'ed?

From Zzounds,

Thanks for this email! We currently do not have information in regards

to whether or not we will have listings of the Shuriken's variant

colors. Feel free to check back on our site periodically. Typically new

items like this our featured in our newsletter - feel free to sign up

if you haven't already! Hope this helps. Thanks from zZounds.com!

Not quite my style, but I do dig his creativity and sense of humour. 

I love the integration with Helix, so I'm close to pulling trigger on a Variax of some sort, I'm just on the fence about which one to get.  I like a lot of the Shuriken features, but I don't need the longer scale length.  It's down between a 59 or an 89, I have likes and dislikes about both.