Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Noise Gate / Volume Block Issue

carlito17

I run my Helix rack in 4CM. The first effect block in my Helix chain is a volume pedal controlled by an expression pedal. Everything works as it should. Sometimes I even move my Volume block into my amps loop for different effects. Always works well.

The one thing I do not care for is the noise gate in the Helix. I own both a Boss NS2 and a Fortin Zuul. If I run either on in my amps effects loop, just before the Helix so it doesn’t cut delay trails I get a weird sound if the Volume block is first in the chain. When I turn it all the way down and tune quietly I hear the gate releasing the hiss from the preamp comes thru. No guitar just the hiss. If I move the volume to the amp fx loop I get a small amount of guitar even when it is at 0.

If I remove the volume block and just use an actual volume pedal before the Helix input everything works as it should. Is this a symptom of 4CM?

I cannot seem to attach a video so here is a link to my post on Facebook about this. Video is in the comments.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/428105950706417?tsid=0.38399223734579757&source=result#!/groups/428105950706417?view=permalink&id=882411878609153&refid=18&_ft_=qid.6527680675409277945%3Amf_story_key.882411878609153%3Atop_level_post_id.882411878609153%3Atl_objid.882411878609153%3Asrc.22&__tn__=-R

After hours and hours I think it is a symptom of 4CM along with the Zuul's key input and/or running the NS2 in an X pattern. I am back to old faithful... the NS2 in an X pattern. But the Volume pedal has to be a standalone. Using a volume block w/ an expression yielded the same results as the Zuul. FYI - The Zuul is incredible if you are doing straight up "heavy" stuff. Unfortunately I ride my volume knob alot and it doesn't react well once your volume is below 5. Sticking with the NS2.... again. Not sure why I keep searching. The never ending tone quest.