Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line6 6 dt50 power transformer replacement reviews

DWhaley81

Has anyone had good results after replacing the power transformer on their line6 dt50? Mine has blown after a few months in my possession, bought it second hand. I really like the amp but it needs to be reliable don't want to have to keep replacing the transformer every few months.

Hey Spaceatl,

I did contact Line 6.   S/N shows the amp was made after the the defected ones.    I don't mind spending the $100 to get a replacement PT but my worry is how often is this going to happen.   Once every few years will work but as a gigging musician I can't take an amp out that I don't trust.   Just looking to get feed back from other who have replaced the PT and what their experiences were after the repair. 

• Upvote 1

I believe they the original stock.  I've never replaced them.     
Put a new Power Transformer in it last night.  Figures crossed.  Cannot find any reviews from users who have replaced the PT.   But if it blows again I will have to drop the amp.  

I think ZAP had one that was replaced about 6 years back. As far as I know, his is still working. My DT-50 is over 8 years old now and still has the original PT. It is a beast of a transformer. As long as it was manufactured correctly, it should work for a long time...BTW, I have ALWAYS run my gear on an AVR. Using nothing but a power conditioner and gigging is taking a huge risk. An AVR will insure that your gear ALWAYS sees input voltage within about 5% tolerance. I have been doing this since the 1980s and I still have gear from back then that still works just fine. Very rare that I have had to have repairs and out of the 8 amplifiers I have, I have never lost a PT....knock on wood.

• 1 month later...

I think this just happened to me. I was playing, there was a pop, then nothing. I got mine refurbished from Line6. Had it about a year.  Average 3 hrs/day  4-5 days a week.  Never had a problem til now. Was only playing about 25 min.

A Head,... about a year,... might be time for a tube swap.

The pop was probably the plate fuse opening. Needs servicing by an authorized service center.

Read up on my posting about tube replacements,....

Use an authorized service center, the fuse is a very particular fuse with a specific specification,... no substitutions.

And as a reminder, always plug speakers into the correct Ohms outputs.

These amps are not forgiving of mods or deviations from the ops manual.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2018 at 11:06 PM, DWhaley81 said:

...."But if it blows again I will have to drop the amp."

Yes, drop it off at my house. I hope it works out for you. I have never heard of a transformer blowing out every 2 or 3 years as though that's normal. I don't think so. 
I have the DT25. Like you I like it just fine, but it just blew if you want to call it that. Actually the lights came on for 1 second and now she's gone. Dead as hell. First thing I did was look at the fuse. It looks perfectly fine and nothing was hot or burnt and no smell. If a fuse is bad , I thought it just breaks the stem inside.sometimes with a little black resin from within. 
Since you have been down this road before, the average cost to fix it would be $100 + time? Oh and what further damage can occur? This was really bad timing because I am selling my amp and the guy was coming over to play right then , within 30 minutes. Then poof! I was selling for $500. Wish it was just a fuse.  He's coming back in a week but don't know what I'm in for if I take it to the shop. I wish Line6 techs could help me out, then I would keep it. 

Hmmm, how could I use it as just a cab? 

TRR  

Hey Todd,

Update. I ended up selling the amp.   I replaced the power transformer and about two weeks later at a gig right in the middle of a song it just stopped working. Had power and lights but no volume.  After the power amp went out the first time I started carrying a second amp with me so I was able to continue the gig.    Next day at home I powered it up and the SOB worked like a charm.    I did use it as a cab for a short time, which I have to say sucked.   For about a month and half I lugged around this heavy lollipop DT50 and a PRS head.  I ran the head to the DT speaker.   It was nice for a bit, having two amps without having to carry two combos.  But after about 5 gigs I gave up, sold the DT and got a 2 12 cab.   So now I'm in the middle of moving away from Line6 all together for live shows.  

21 hours ago, DWhaley81 said:

" I replaced the power transformer"

Yes, I guess I want to know to what extent? How much did it cost you with or without warranty? Were there any other things they replaced while they did that. The fuses for example, were they automatically broken?  While I'm at it is there a way to make A CHANGE TO THE OUTPUT VOLUME? They look fine to me. Other fuses I've broken in past have obviously been burnt and cut in two

21 hours ago, DWhaley81 said:

I" did use it as a cab for a short time, which I have to say sucked."

Hmm, I guess I'm missing something very simple. How or where exactly would I plug the male version of a addition speaker cab (I get the ohm  ratings)  

I tried replacing the fuse, the one at the power cable input.    But as soon as I would power the amp up it would blow the fuse.  And I did get the exact fuse suggested by Line 6 Tech support.   The amp was not under warranty, so I had to purchase a replacement power transformer from a supplier online.   I can't remember where but if you do a quick google search you should be able to find the exact mode, think is was about $120.  I replaced the PT myself.   Wasn't very hard only a few wires and took about 30 minutes.

I used the speaker in the DT50 as the cab.   So my setup was an external head on top of my DT50 combo with the speaker cable running from the speaker inside the DT50 to the external head..     At the time being short on funds and all it allowed me to carry two amps with out the extra speakers.   So if the external head gave me problems all I had to do is swap the power and speaker cable from the external head back to the DT50 amp.

• 2 months later...

Mine has been to line6 twice and they covered it.  I actually bought a backup one (both DT50) after the first incident.  I've recently started gigging again and am scared to death it will fail me.  Keep in mind these amp have not had even 20 hours of use.

I wish they'd take them back and give me a solid state speaker replacement with L6 link. They're both like new... because I am afraid to use them.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, PDKTDK said:

Mine has been to line6 twice and they covered it.  I actually bought a backup one (both DT50) after the first incident.  I've recently started gigging again and am scared to death it will fail me.  Keep in mind these amp have not had even 20 hours of use.

I wish they'd take them back and give me a solid state speaker replacement with L6 link. They're both like new... because I am afraid to use them.

I have just one and feel the same as you. I've been using it and it sounds great but man the cloud just seems to be looming.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

It will have to be the correct transformer for your wall volt mains for your area.

Be aware of the wall mains, seen too many travel to other places thinking a transformer

is a transformer, and they keep blowing.

I know you know better, but not everyone else does.

As I understand doesn't need to be the same exact model? I thought it was a very special model made exclusively for this amp without any chance to find an equivalent ...keep in mind that I'm just collecting information and I understand that such procedure needs to be done by a professional. If it is the case I may let the chance to a pro to study the bad part in my amp in order to find an equivalent. I found some info on the different  input / outputs it gives.. but nothing regarding the internal winding 

For me, that would be a reason to buy it and fix it, since I know these amps intimately.

If only I had the time and space to do that. I wish it was easier for you like that. These are cool amps,

just ask Steve Howe of Yes, or Roland Orzabal of Tears for Fears, they each have two DT50-212 amps.

• Upvote 1

need to find a way to buy a power transformer...if line6 would accept to ship for me the part to Algeria it would be great ! of course a pro will take it in charge. ....I already changed the tubs with the same brand and the same specs ..same ..this is why I'm thinking of the power transformer 

yeah I already saw a video of Steve Howe talking about his dream rig and how it avoided him from tap dancing and luging different amps....I love the idea behind his killer rig... with that amp I didn't even felt the need to upgrade to a helix since I'm satisfied with the result of the interaction between pod and DT 

could you tell me whether this diagram is correct so I can communicate it to a tech 

Trafo Line 6 #11-30-0045-EN (1).pdf

Not entirely certain, since we don't service the Euro volt units here. The pink 60V and the 10.2V

on the secondary not sure about. Not what I'm used to seeing. About as much as i can say without getting in trouble.

All I can do is warn you about pitfalls and cautions, that's as much of an assist as I can.

The are large and dangerous voltages. The tech needs to be extremely careful.