Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Philosophy, Skill Aquisition And Why I'm Falling Out With My Dt25

Stratman82

Actually, after further comparison at higher volumes I can honestly say that the DT25 just plain old isn't that great an amp overall. Sterile and lacking in fun factor compared to an amp from a classic amp manufacturer (like Fender and Orange). Not as touch responsive and dynamic, probably due to the modelled preamp. Just doesn't sound as good, bottom line.

As a 4 channel re-configurable amp the DT25 really isn't that versatile either- the OR15H is single channel but the 4 gain stages cycle through a spectrum of guitar music covering all the base tones of a factory set DT25 except pure clean Fender spank. But the DT25 with its EL84s doesn't exactly nail that tone either.

Some of the guff spouted on this forum about the DT25/50 is quite ridiculous. Yes the power section is to an extent reconfigurable but it doesn't magically switch its tubes into 6L6s or anything like that...at heart it's still a medium powered EL84 driven poweramp with a digitally modelled preamp.

We only live once.... is 80-90% as good tone and mabye 70% as good feel as the amp it's trying to emulate "fun" enough?? I agree its very practical for a gigging covers musician who needs to approximate famous tones at a pinch with one amp. I'd definately recommend the amp for that. But if its a hobby....for fun... then why not have one or two classic amps that are more "plug and play" and dont need digital modelling trickery and modelled overdrive pedal patches to get close to great tones? Part of the fun of a hobbyist guitarist is collecting bits and pieces of equipment, not having one amp that "does it all" moderately well.

My DT25 is up for sale.

How much and where do you live? I need a second one for my cover band. Since it works moderately well you should let it go for a song I would think? Digital modeling trickery and all....

• 1 month later...

I'd like to know how the Orange and the DT compare as to which is a better companion when used 4 cable method for the Orange, L6Link for the DT.

in other words, does the Oranges perceived advantage still hold it out as superior if incorporating the PodHD500 is part of the criteria?

I'm considering both of those amps and have the PodHD500x.

I'm creating preamp patches and using the Two Notes Torpedo CAB in the Pods loop for speaker sim, power amp sim and EQ and find that to be superior to the Pods full amp offerings but even with that sounding so good I'd like a real amp solution to make use of the PodHD when I'm able to turn up the volume.

I'd like to know how the Orange and the DT compare as to which is a better companion when used 4 cable method for the Orange, L6Link for the DT.

in other words, does the Oranges perceived advantage still hold it out as superior if incorporating the PodHD500 is part of the criteria?

I'm considering both of those amps and have the PodHD500x.

I'm creating preamp patches and using the Two Notes Torpedo CAB in the Pods loop for speaker sim, power amp sim and EQ and find that to be superior to the Pods full amp offerings but even with that sounding so good I'd like a real amp solution to make use of the PodHD when I'm able to turn up the volume.

Having sold my DT, I only really use my podhd500x for headphone practice now. It excells at that.

The OR15 is best used with analogue pedals. I personally wouldn't hurry to use the podHD with it.