Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I get low sound on studio monitor

Anukul

What s wrong ? I run pod hd500x by direct connecting between only pod hd500x XLR and yamaha hs5 XLR studio monitor then I got very low sound , before this I thought it will sound like youtube's clips. What 's wrong about my connection.

I try in another way, first of all that I have to tell you is this is my first multi effect thus I don't know what is the Right sound, but I feel the sound that come from XLR output was weak.

my studio monitor is yamaha hs5 and the rear of it has knob level +4db and -10db : I turned it to +4db.

I chose XLR output from Pod hd500x that sinal is weak.

I adjust at "mixer block" from the display screen, it is next from amp blocks icon and increase the level to +4db.

The sound is more full, in my opinion I think it's okay.

The point is, this way is right? Is it same as 1/4unbalanced output.?

Anyone tell me please. Now I have only Xlr cable.

post-1963157-0-01736600-1520003489_thumb.png

As previously mentioned, the XLR output on the POD is MIC LEVEL. The reason is that that the output models a microphone both in sonic response AND the actual level of the output. Your monitor XLR inputs are expecting LINE level and the signal will always be weak in this case because your monitors do NOT have a MIC preamp on board. If you want to use the XLR inputs, then you could use a stereo direct box and leverage the 1/4 outs of the POD so that you might send LINE LEVEL to your monitors. You are fighting a losing battle by bumping the line amp up that high as you will have a fairly high noise floor doing that because the impedance and level are incorrect.

You are fighting a losing battle by bumping the line amp up that high as you will have a fairly high noise floor doing that because the impedance and level are incorrect.

This...

Noise floor considerations aside, it's never good to dime speaker outputs...use the 1/4" outs set at "line" level as indicated above, and back the volume down on the monitors. Eventually you're gonna end up feeding them a signal that's hotter than you think it is, and POOF!...you're buying new monitors.

This...

Noise floor considerations aside, it's never good to dime speaker outputs...use the 1/4" outs set at "line" level as indicated above, and back the volume down on the monitors. Eventually you're gonna end up feeding them a signal that's hotter than you think it is, and POOF!...you're buying new monitors.

That's a great point...I had not really thought about a gear change to line level XLR and POOF...

One thing about the impedance being off is that the bandwidth response is affected by it...Likely not very much, but the highend response will drop a bit and the buffer amp in the POD will compensate a little bit...couple that with noisefloor and it is basically a "sound bad" situation....Most likely you would only notice it on really clean tones or if you were running an acoustic or vocal thru the POD...Will sound like total crap with the impedance mistmatched like that...