Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Off topic but very cool John Mayer

CraigGT

He was an unexpected choice to join the band but is actually really good with 'Dead & Company'. A better guitarist IMHO than he often gets credited for.

Good guitar lesson!

He's getting more credit than Peter Frampton did in his day. Frampton was highly melodic and tasteful IMHO but guys (mostly) dismissed him because he was a "pretty boy".  I think there was also a lot of male resentment that women swooned over him.  I see the same attitude towards Mayer but is more muted.

He's getting more credit than Peter Frampton did in his day. Frampton was highly melodic and tasteful IMHO but guys (mostly) dismissed him because he was a "pretty boy".  I think there was also a lot of male resentment that women swooned over him.  I see the same attitude towards Mayer but is more muted.

I agree with your assessment of Frampton. I actually saw him on a recent tour and besides just killing it on his old material he played a Beatles tune and Soundgarden's 'Black Hole Sun' for encores. He has clearly been progressing as a guitarist and has incorporated some more advanced fusion techniques into his playing which are a nice addition to his always great melodic sensibilities. Might be dismissed as not heavy enough for many folks and the industry did over-market and over-play him back in the day but his ability on guitar to me is undeniable.

• Upvote 1

I just liked the naturalness of the video, I've got  a free evening so I'll show you some stuff very cool.

I've always liked Peter Frampton too, I saw him with David Bowie on the Glass Spider tour many years ago.

Craig