Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Standard vs. Shuriken tuning keys

Hankon6

I am wondering if the Shuriken keys  (black) would be a drop in for the Variax Standard!   I like the LOCKING machines.  If they are a match...where can I buy them? I think the black machines would look nice on a black Standard of which I am looking to buy shortly. :)  Thanks!

Go to a local store with the guitar and have them matched up.

There are slight nuances that can make the difference between what works and what doesn't.

Have an example on my bench right now. Had to swap out the 3rd party tuners for the factory stock ones.

There are slight nuances that can make the difference between what works and what doesn't.

Have an example on my bench right now. Had to swap out the 3rd party tuners for the factory stock ones.

Do you mean just take one if the tuners off and bring it to guitar center?   Sounds ok to me....but there  must be an easier  way by tapping into the folks here who have had to do the same purchase if they wanted locking tuners.  I will do this...if I can not get anyone to let me know where they purchased theirs.  I hate to shop around and have my axe down while I'm doing this because it may take awhile.  At least that is an option///Thanks!

I, too, would love to upgrade the tuners on my Standard (e.g. higher ratio, locking, rotomatic-type). Can you simply recommend some that would be a simple nuance-friendly drop-in match?

Oh, come on...you know what fits. You don't have to recommend or play favorites, just mention some options.

I drive 40 minutes to my closest guitar outlet with a tech on hand, pay the tech for his time, maybe or maybe not find the tuners I want, etc, etc....

vs

Please just give me a few of the "many" candidate tuner brands/names that would be a drop-in fit, I research and order online and install them myself. 

Think of all of the time, energy, air quality saved in the name of a better future for all children.

Since Line 6 doesn't support mods, it's not something I deal with much. 

Brands,.... Gotoh, Hipshot, Sperzel and Schaler make good locking

tuners. It's a matter of going to the shop, finding what you like that fits.

In the end, it's personal taste at that point.

However, don't get the Jin-Hor1-4, had a fit problem with the tuning

posts on a customer guitar. Posts were the wrong diameter and messed

up the breaking angle at the string nut. Had to replace the string nut too,

nut slots were grooved and messed up.

The holes appear to be 10mm diameter, if that helps.