Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Toggle Question Clean/distorted

C5foru

Any suggestions on how I would set the HD500 to toggle between 2 Amps with the Switches and use the Top row for the effects?

I had an XTLive and did not like using 3 different Patches A:Clean B:Distorted Rhythm C:Solo

I would like to Somehow Toggle,say A: Clean/Distortion Then use the top FS buttons for effects on and off  Then B: Different Amp Clean/Distorted top FS toggle effects on and off

Is this possible or is there and easier way?

Thanks For advice everyone.

I don't really understand your problem.

You like to use FS1-4 as effect switch and FS 5-8 as toggle switch between amps. That is the normal way. Create patch A with the desired effects and amp model 1, then save it also as patch B and change the amp model. Same efx's different sounds.

Handicap: if you switch from patch A to B you will get the stored on/off mode for the efx's.

I sometimes use two amps in one patch and toggle them with the pedal in pan-mode. Advantage: you can mix two sounds, handicap limited memory. You can only use less efx's.

To toggle between clean/distortet sound, you can use the distortion modules within a clean amp model. Instead of toggle between A/B use pedal as pan between channel A without distortion and B with distortion.

Or another possibility: use the toeswitch of the pedal for on/off distortion.

So feel free to find your best way. I use them all.

BTW I guess there is a mode were you don't switch between bank A-D but use the switches as on/off switch for efx's. But I haven't the HD500 just around me and I am not quite sure how to do this. Just have a look in your manual.

But always keep in mind: Using 2 amp-models in one patch will limit your memory extremly!

• Upvote 1

In pedalboard mode, when you press the bank button, the bottom switches select presets A-D, then automatically go back to controlling FX. If you are trying to do everything on one patch, then you shouldn't need the bottom 4 in preset mode, which opens you up to have amp A effects on top and amp B effects on the bottom.

I don't know enough about amp settings and running dual amps, so I can't be of much help there.

• 1 year later...

I don't really understand your problem.

You like to use FS1-4 as effect switch and FS 5-8 as toggle switch between amps. That is the normal way. Create patch A with the desired effects and amp model 1, then save it also as patch B and change the amp model. Same efx's different sounds.

Handicap: if you switch from patch A to B you will get the stored on/off mode for the efx's.

I sometimes use two amps in one patch and toggle them with the pedal in pan-mode. Advantage: you can mix two sounds, handicap limited memory. You can only use less efx's.

To toggle between clean/distortet sound, you can use the distortion modules within a clean amp model. Instead of toggle between A/B use pedal as pan between channel A without distortion and B with distortion.

Or another possibility: use the toeswitch of the pedal for on/off distortion.

So feel free to find your best way. I use them all.

BTW I guess there is a mode were you don't switch between bank A-D but use the switches as on/off switch for efx's. But I haven't the HD500 just around me and I am not quite sure how to do this. Just have a look in your manual.

But always keep in mind: Using 2 amp-models in one patch will limit your memory extremly!

I am trying to do just this- how do you go about setting a footswitch so that it will toggle between a clean and dirty amp?  

This forum is great- many thanks to you guys for taking the time to share your knowledge with us.

how do you go about setting a footswitch so that it will toggle between a clean and dirty amp?  

First turn one amp on and the other off.  Then go to the controllers tab in HD Edit and assign both amps to the same FS.  Then when you press the FS it will switch from one to the other.

• Upvote 2

It works, but there is some latency and brief digital artifacts when switching amps in this manner.   :(  

Think I'm going to have to stick with pedals, which is not the worst thing in the world but it's just that some of the distortion on those amps is so good it's a shame I can't switch them in and out in that capacity.  Another option is to get out of pedal mode and use some of the patches, but need to evaluate whether I can make do with only 4 effect options.  If I switch patches, do the effects stay 'in effect'?  For example, if I am using a delay on a clean patch and then switch to a dirty patch, will the delay be maintained across patches?  

For what it's worth, I have a preset called "Morph" available on Custom Tone for download.

Basically, crunch is set with the expression pedal rocked all the way forward, rock it back, and your morph to clean. 

It's like doing a crossfade on a mixing console, you can transition quickly without the switching latency that would normally be experienced when changing programs (presets), or you can transition slowly building up or breaking down a piece from one extreme to the other in a very musical way. 

The FS4 switch within this preset is a "solo" switch, providing a slight boost and adding in the "send" to the Delay.  When you turn off the FS4, any signal sent to it prior to being switched off continues to trail and fade out.

If you want to reduce the latency, try to make as many things similar between your amp models as possible.  For instance, topology, class, cab, and mic.  Not always possible but the fewer things that are changing means the quicker the swap.

As noted above, the expression pedal can also work well.  Just set the channel volume on each amp to the same expression pedal with one set (Min-0,Max-whatever) and the other set to (Min-whatever, Max-0).  The advantage here is you can also set a ton of other parameters to change with the same pedal such as delay times, reverb mix, compression levels, etc.  Very flexible solution...

You may even be able to use the expression pedal to go from clean to dirty using the same amp model.  You can assign up to 50 different parameters to the pedal so you can have two completely different tones with just one pedal push...

I've added a footswitch in-line with the expression pedal which basically shorts the expression out. So I can set the pedal full for my solo sounds (with every effect setting tweeked using controllers) and just stomp on my switch to switch the sound with no latency at all. ( I could never get rid of the glitch switching amps, even when they were similar, but his way I can use completely different amps and switch instantly between them with no glitch, as all that is happening is a change in mix settings as both amps are always on.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

First turn one amp on and the other off.  Then go to the controllers tab in HD Edit and assign both amps to the same FS.  Then when you press the FS it will switch from one to the other.

Clean channel sounds good, but when i switch to dirty i'm still hearing my dry direct guitar thru the clean channel.. even tho the clean amp is off.

How to shut that path off?