Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changing the Pickup on the Shuriken?

spikey

-Be careful not to alter the functionality of the guitar, so as to not void the warranty.

-Use pick-ups with a DC/bulk resistance spec of between 6k to 8k Ohms, or the impedance

won't match. And that will alter the tone of the signal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hang on. I thought when you don't have the Variax circuit engaged, you are just using the mag pickup. When you engage the Variax, the mag pickup is no longer used as you are using the piezo pickups in the bridge and the signal is processed through the Variax modeling circuit. 

Totally get the whole "Don't void your warranty" thing, but you seem to be indicating that by replacing the mag pickup with something hotter for example, will impact the overall function and tone of the Variax. Is that right?

1 hour ago, dan5150 said:

Hang on. I thought when you don't have the Variax circuit engaged, you are just using the mag pickup. When you engage the Variax, the mag pickup is no longer used as you are using the piezo pickups in the bridge and the signal is processed through the Variax modeling circuit. 

Totally get the whole "Don't void your warranty" thing, but you seem to be indicating that by replacing the mag pickup with something hotter for example, will impact the overall function and tone of the Variax. Is that right?

Don't see how it could... plenty of guys have replaced the mag pickups in the various JTV iterations, and I don't recall anyone complaining that it messed with the sound of the modeled guitars.

• Upvote 1

"I thought when you don't have the Variax circuit engaged, you are just using the mag pickup. "--- Correct.

But all audio signals go through the circuit board.

12k-Ohm or more will give a darker tone EQ. It's not like passive electronics guitar where you can mess with resistor

or capacitor values to alter tone color and EQ. It has to impedance match to the processor board or the tone color/EQ

will be different. 6k to 8k Ohms, unless you want a different tone color.

Richie Castellano did a pick-up change out live on Facebook back in November or December last year, He used a

12k-Ohm DiMarzio and found it to be darker than he wanted. He liked it dark tone, but 12k was too dark. Check out

the video.

• 2 months later...

I see an Output Impedance, but that's different than DC/bulk resistance.

Stick with DC/bulk resistance range specified above.

And the our pole spacing 50mm, theirs is 49mm and 52.6mm. The string line-up

may not fall within the sweet spot of the magnetic field. That and the pick-up height

would have to be adjust to prevent warbling in the signal.

But since it requires a 9-Volt battery,... that makes it incompatible with our electronics, 

and therefore should not be used,... even if you think it can be isolated. So don't do that.

This is not a passive electronics guitar that can take a modification like that.

Straying too far from the specs that result in adverse affects on the function and performance

can void any warranty, so proceed with caution.