Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Switching Mesa Mark V 90w

NeuAscension

Hello,

I am having issues getting my HX EFFECTS to return to the clean channel of the Mark V. I have two presets that will switch from Ch2-->Ch3 and back, however I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the amp to return to channel 1. Any ideas, or anyone have a Helix and Mark V 90 that would be able to help me out?

Messed with trying to get this to work for over a week, and no help from Line 6. Support would not give a definitive answer on whether the the HX Effects would properly switch a Mark V 90. Returned the HX Effects and got a Fractal FX8. It does does proper latch and release switching, and Fractal wasn't shy about answering questions about whether or not listed functions on their products worked properly... Support reps that give canned non-answers to a direct and specific question is super lame... ain't nobody got time for that. Peace Line 6, wasn't fun while it lasted.

TLDR: Won't properly switch a Mark V 90w Head, don't waste your time.

How were you sending the commands? I've found it's possible to do this using two buttons in a preset but not using instant messages. With two buttons you assign one to channel 2 and the 2nd to channel 3, when both are off the amp switches both channels off and reverts to clean.  The Instant messages however do not include an option to make both Tip and Ring disengage, it only allows tip, ring, or both so you can't get back to clean.

Returned the HX Effects and got a Fractal FX8- and no help from Line 6. Support would not give a definitive answer on whether the the HX Effects would properly switch a Mark V 90

It's kinda a moot point now since He said Line-6 wouldn't answer him, so he bought an FX-8 "and" Fractal wasn't shy about answering questions...

If it is how you say it is Neu, and since it seems no one else will, let "ME" step up and say that I'm sorry for the poor service you received from Line-6.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm the HX FX is able to switch between all 3 channels of the Mark V properly. However. I was running this setup in 4CM and I had such a bad hum/groundloop when using the trs to ts cable that it made the channel switching function completely unusable. After reading other forums it appears this is a common issue with the Mark V and other amps. There are a couple work arounds, but they are not worth it to me. The representative I spoke to from Line 6 aknowleged there is a compatibility issue, but currently there is no fix as of yet unfortunately. The unit does work great in 4CM with the Mark V.

I have been planning to switch to the Mesa JP2C and just ordered one. Hopefully the midi channel switching will work better or sadly the HX FX will get returned.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi man, did you managed to solve this issue? I have a mark V and I was thinking about buying this unit, what was the problem with the noise/hum? Was the 4 cable method or the trs to 2 ts for channel switching? Looking forward to hear your answer. Maybe using a midi device for switching amp channel is the way to go? Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

I use my HX Effects to switch my Mesa Mark V using an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo flawlessly. It lets me not just select channels, but also features, like solo or reverb, for the channel. This is all preset by defining one of the 128 (not sure what term they use) memories, which then I trigger via the HX Effect's MIDI Program I defined for an effect.

• 4 weeks later...

Is using an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo the only way to ensure the Helix functions properly with the Mark V?

I would like to purchase a Helix and use the 4CM with my Mark V but unfortunately reading this thread makes me think the FX8 is better suited. RJM is not available locally, perhaps the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher will work? To clarify, my aim is to just be able to switch between the three channels from the Helix, with no ground noise.

• 2 years later...

I also ended up using an RJM Gizmo to switch my Mark V because of ground noise through my old modeler. I eventually moved back to using the Boogie exclusively with an analog pedalboard and frankly rarely to never use it these days. I would be curious if anyone has gotten it working successfully with the CV out on the Helix and which Mark V footswitch functions they got working.

I've been using my Helix floor to change channels and turn EQ on and off on my Mark V 25 head since I got it a couple of months ago. It works fine.

The only time i get any kind of unwanted noise is when I plug Helix into my computer via USB but that's it.

Not sure if it matters but my Mark V is from 2014.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1