Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects and channel switching on two amps?

elrrek

Hi

I am hoping this question has not been asked already, I did a quick trawl of the threads but couldn't see anything on this topic so here goes.

I am running 2 amps which use TRS button foot switches with 2 buttons for various functions.

Amp 1 : Peavey 6505+ combo

Button 1 switches channel 1 from clean to crunch.

Button 2 changes switches between Channel 1 and Channel 2.

Amp 2 : Peavey Valveking 50 MKII

Button 1 switches from Channel 1 (clean) to Channel 2 (dirty)

Button 2 engages the "boost" function which basically increases the volume.

I am currently running these amps simultaneously in mono using an ABY box, most often with both amps running at the same time either both "clean" or both "dirty"

Using the 2 effects "EXT AMP" outputs I am hoping to do the following:

Connect EXT AMP 1 to Amp 1 6505+.

Connect EXT AMP 2 to Amp 2 Valveking

I am wondering if someone can tell me if the HX Effects can do the following:

A) with one button press switch both amps from clean to dirty

B) with both amps dirty, with one button press switch one amp from dirty to clean and leave the other amp dirty

C) with both amps clean, with one button press switch one amp from clean to dirty and leave the other amp clean

I suppose the simple version of the question is, can a foot switch be programmed to make external amp changes sending a signal via EXT AMP 1 and 2 at the same time? Does anyone know if this is possible?

If this is possible, can A, B and C be combined with changing effects as well?

Thanks for any help that is offered :)

Thanks for the reply iknowathingortwo.

I went with the "jump in the fire" option and just bought one anyway. I've got 14 days to get it to the rehearsal studio, plug it into my amps and see if I can get this to work

Based on recent experience, I'm not sure I can rely on Line 6 for any help in that time frame :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the reply iknowathingortwo.

I went with the "jump in the fire" option and just bought one anyway. I've got 14 days to get it to the rehearsal studio, plug it into my amps and see if I can get this to work

Based on recent experience, I'm not sure I can rely on Line 6 for any help in that time frame :P

Have you opened up a ticket with Line 6 Support?  Their support is TOP NOTCH.  Please understand that this is user support forum.  Line 6 doesn't typically respond to threads on here.  This is a place to collaborate with other users which is beneficial when you need help on a unique issue.

Yeah, I tried that, I didn't get very far unfortunately so I am trying asking the public :)
I'm not whinning, I'm sure the line6 people help as much as they can.

iknowathingortwo : with your setup are you changing effects on the Helix and external amp channels at the same time with one foot switch press?

Yeah, I tried that, I didn't get very far unfortunately so I am trying asking the public :)

I'm not whinning, I'm sure the line6 people help as much as they can.

iknowathingortwo : with your setup are you changing effects on the Helix and external amp channels at the same time with one foot switch press?

iknowathingortwo is not a user name.  It's a forum status, so you will see that next to anyone that has over 100 forum posts and under 500 (I think).  My forum user name is VirtualGuitars.  To answer your question, you can use snapshots to change channels and effects at the same time.  In my setup, I dedicate a stomp button on all of my presets that lets me change the channel on one my amps.  You can do this on two amps with the HX Effects.  It works using a TS or TRS cable (depends on your amp) and works just like the factory foot pedal.  Press it once it changes from clean to crunch.  Press is again and it goes from crunch to clean.  Very simple and one less box (or two) on your pedalboard.  Hope this helps you.

Ha ha! I can't believe I made that error.

Thanks very much VirtualGuitars, from the manual "snapshots" seems to be the way to go but it's great to get someone commenting who has real world experience, much appreciated!

Ha ha! I can't believe I made that error.

Thanks very much VirtualGuitars, from the manual "snapshots" seems to be the way to go but it's great to get someone commenting who has real world experience, much appreciated!

You're welcome, man!  Good luck and congrats on joining the Helix family.  You're going to love your HX Effects!