Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sound like METALLICA with Helix!

GuitarjonSDS

Hey guys,

Since Metallica use Fractal Audio Axe FX's for their live tones I thought it would be cool to see if Helix from Line 6 could come close.
I made a couple of tones and honestly, I think the results speak for themselves!
I was expecting them to be good but I think they turned out REALLY good.
Dual amps can be a little tricky but it wasn't a problem at all.

So I made a little tutorial video to show how to get these tones.
Hope someone finds this useful and/or entertaining!

• Upvote 7

Thanks!

What other artists do you think I should cover in a future video?

Metallica (Studio Albums), Pantera, Slipknot, Alice in Chains, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Korn, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Sevendust, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, 311, System of a Down, Van Halen, Volbeat, Fear Factory, Weezer, Gojira, Tool  :D 

• Like 1

Congrats Jon!  

I got an email from Ownhammer today saying you are on their staff now as Social Media Manager.  I've always enjoyed your videos and find them useful and inspirational, so this is well-deserved I'm sure.

Wish you the best!

• Like 1

How about some of the early Testament stuff like "The new order" or even better "Practice what you preach" So good, very honest sounding and so overlooked. Peterson and skolnicks sound was quite unique at the time. Especially their clean sound.

• Like 1

On 9-3-2018 at 9:11 PM, schapman1022 said:

What split did you use for James' tone and is it just an equal mix of both amps?

yep, equal

On 10-3-2018 at 1:48 AM, roscoe5 said:

Congrats Jon!  

I got an email from Ownhammer today saying you are on their staff now as Social Media Manager.  I've always enjoyed your videos and find them useful and inspirational, so this is well-deserved I'm sure.

Wish you the best!

Thanks very much!

• 8 months later...

I followed your video, which was very well done btw, and it is exactly what I want. However, I have a lot of noise in the preset. I don't have the Ownhammer so I used a Cab 4x12 Cali V30 before the parametric EQ and it is very noisy. I am using it with a Yahama Pacifica and there is a humbucker in the bridge so its not a single coil hum issue. Muting either amp solves the problem, having them both on at the same time results in feedback and hum. Any thoughts?

Thanks a mil, 

Tom

8 minutes ago, mohospedapetalon said:

I followed your video, which was very well done btw, and it is exactly what I want. However, I have a lot of noise in the preset. I don't have the Ownhammer so I used a Cab 4x12 Cali V30 before the parametric EQ and it is very noisy. I am using it with a Yahama Pacifica and there is a humbucker in the bridge so its not a single coil hum issue. Muting either amp solves the problem, having them both on at the same time results in feedback and hum. Any thoughts?

Thanks a mil, 

Tom

Having not watched the video I can only guess, but I suspect you just need a noise gate.... for high-gain stuff, it's basically a necessity. 

RE: What other artists can I cover.......I would love to hear someone cover Neal Schon re....Caruso solo, or Send Me an Angel or Big Moon, very clean beautiful lead tone....and someone who covers these really well is Vinai Trinateepakdee.......worth checking out.....love his tone too.......also last one Vinai cover of Leon Russell "A song for You"

On 11/28/2018 at 11:19 PM, cruisinon2 said:

Having not watched the video I can only guess, but I suspect you just need a noise gate.... for high-gain stuff, it's basically a necessity. 

I tried that but it kills the volume before I get anywhere near eliminating the noise. I have an esp with 81/60 coming early next year, but until now a single coil/humbucker Pacifica will have to do.  The lead tone has nowhere near the noise levels of the rhythm patch, interesting.

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2018 at 9:48 PM, GuitarjonSDS said:
Hey guys,

Since Metallica use Fractal Audio Axe FX's for their live tones I thought it would be cool to see if Helix from Line 6 could come close.
I made a couple of tones and honestly, I think the results speak for themselves!
I was expecting them to be good but I think they turned out REALLY good.
Dual amps can be a little tricky but it wasn't a problem at all.

So I made a little tutorial video to show how to get these tones.
Hope someone finds this useful and/or entertaining!

Where find this IR Ownhammer IRs: OH 212 3QTR V30 CUT+121

and OH 412 TRAD V60 OH1-05  ???

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:08 AM, jabak said:

How about some of the early Testament stuff like "The new order" or even better "Practice what you preach" So good, very honest sounding and so overlooked. Peterson and skolnicks sound was quite unique at the time. Especially their clean sound.

I actually made a halfway decent Testament patch that tries to cover a spectrum of their sounds.  The key is to run the 2204 or 2204 mod preamp model into a JTM45 amp model with the gain on the amp model not high.  Crank the channel volume for the preamp to the max, set the preamp drive to taste, and start low with the tone, drive and master controls on the amp. Increase those incrementally until you get a solid overall sound you are happy with.  The key to getting that "Souls of Black" pushed bottom end is to boost the bass frequencies more than your instincts would normally say to.  Selective mid cuts using a higher Q setting to preserve other mid frequencies you want to keep are also key.  And of course, a decent amount of reverb helps- room or chamber is more appropriate for the rhythm tones, while either boosting the decay or switching to hall is good for Skolnick's big lead spaciness.

• 6 months later...

hello,

This sound is amazing. Thank you.

I'm look for the 'load/reload' sound, like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nep5_1yAOLw

I've tried to get a similar configuration on the Helix, using the Cali IV and the Scream 808 (or Valve Driver) but I'm so far from this sound...

My Guitar is an ESP Eclipse-II with the EMG "Het set"

Can someone help me ?