Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latency and punching in

zenguitardude

Ok I know people have talked about this but...

Yes it is Zero latency when monitoring through the Helix and the track output is muted, BUT that is NOT zero latency because the recorded track stills has delay and is not in the same place as where I heard myself record. On average I see a 2o ms delay between recorded media and performance. I tested fr this by playing quarter notes as accurately as possible against a click. Recorded monitoring through the Helix. 

I also tried a different monitoring setup by using a Suhr reactive load that connects to the Helix but also passes through to my amp and monitored through my amp, same issue.

Also the significant issue I hae is that, If I want to punch in on a track I am forced to unmute the track output so i can hear the part I am punching in on.

Am I missing something so I can make this work? I can live with the latency adjustment to get the feel right but really need to be able to punch in without hearing both signal paths.

Thanks

Ok I know people have talked about this but...

Yes it is Zero latency when monitoring through the Helix and the track output is muted, BUT that is NOT zero latency because the recorded track stills has delay and is not in the same place as where I heard myself record. On average I see a 2o ms delay between recorded media and performance. I tested fr this by playing quarter notes as accurately as possible against a click. Recorded monitoring through the Helix.

I also tried a different monitoring setup by using a Suhr reactive load that connects to the Helix but also passes through to my amp and monitored through my amp, same issue.

Also the significant issue I hae is that, If I want to punch in on a track I am forced to unmute the track output so i can hear the part I am punching in on.

Am I missing something so I can make this work? I can live with the latency adjustment to get the feel right but really need to be able to punch in without hearing both signal paths.

Thanks

Really shouldn't be happening...sometimes I wonder if latency isn't a RAM issue, if too many other things are up and running at the same time. I use GarageBand on a MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM. Now that's a fairly bargain-basement DAW, lol, but running on a decent amount of horsepower. And Garage Band doesn't even have buffer controls anymore, so if I did encounter any latency, I'd basically be stuck with it, but I have none whatsoever.

Helix runs into a Focusrite 2i4 interface, which has a direct monitoring/playback mix control. As long as the track I'm recording to has monitoring turned off, everything lands right where it should.

And FWIW, I can set that mix control entirely to "playback", so I'm not hearing my input signal at all, everything is being monitored from the DAW through the interface, and there's still no perceptible latency while playing, and listening back to recorded tracks, everything is exactly where it should be...

Yep....no doubt the problem is either in the DAW or background processes in the computer taking up too many cycles.  I punch in all sorts of stuff through the Helix as it's my main audio interface including guitar, bass, keyboard and vocals.  I've never had any kind of sync problem.  I'm using Sonar Platinum which is a pretty hefty program.  I'd check your available memory as well as background processes on your computer.