Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi Ready Jtv?

Debating which guitar to set up with my Roland midi pick up.

(It's been in simi-retirement for years!)

My JTV seems like the best choice.  Do it all from one ax.

Got me thinking.  The JTV already has Piezos.  Is there a way

to utilize the existing Line6 technolegy to play the Roland

without adding a midi pick up?

Anyone have experience adding a midi pup to their JTV?  Tips?

My pup is working fine, but definitely old.  If there's a

better solution, lemme know.

Thanks, Wayne

• Upvote 1

one of the other forum users, thinks its possible: http://line6.com/support/topic/3119-raw-piezo-sound/

he seems to know what he's talking about, i'm sure he'd point you in the right direction...

i'm assuming that the raw piezo can be "midi" though... so this may not fit your needs.

Debating which guitar to set up with my Roland midi pick up.

(It's been in simi-retirement for years!)

My JTV seems like the best choice.  Do it all from one ax.

Got me thinking.  The JTV already has Piezos.  Is there a way

to utilize the existing Line6 technolegy to play the Roland

without adding a midi pick up?

Anyone have experience adding a midi pup to their JTV?  Tips?

My pup is working fine, but definitely old.  If there's a

better solution, lemme know.

Thanks, Wayne

One thing to consider is that piezo's can be problematic with Roland converters if you are attempting to use COSM modeling, and some are problematic with the midi conversion due to the microphonic nature of some piezo's. Not all piezo's perform equally. Piezo's have a wider frequency range than the magnetic GK pickups. If you want the best midi performance available right now, get a Fishman Tripleplay. It runs circles around Rolands current tech. FWIW ive used both vg99 and gr55 on my JTV's, and now have switched to the FTP.

All I know about this topic is here:

Variax Conversion (W/ GK13 Pin Output)

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=761.0

But if low latency Guitar -to - MIDI is important to you for live performance , look at the Fishman Tripleplay IMHO,

I'm on day three of having the Fishman TriplePlay.

Yesterday my fingers were sooo raw I had to stop playing.  I can't remember the last time that happened!

Definitely the best tracking I've tried (I've owned Photon and Roland previously).

The fasting tracking so far has been turning off the Fishman software, and using Logic Pro, which has an ultra low latency mode found in the Preferences settings.

you b*stard! haha i want one so bad... and you are just making it harder to wait!

<disclaimer for the sarcasm challenged... it was a F^&*'ing joke)

I'm on day three of having the Fishman TriplePlay.

Yesterday my fingers were sooo raw I had to stop playing.  I can't remember the last time that happened!

Definitely the best tracking I've tried (I've owned Photon and Roland previously).

The fasting tracking so far has been turning off the Fishman software, and using Logic Pro, which has an ultra low latency mode found in the Preferences settings.

When I got mine, I could have bought one without the software key (which is $30 to replace) or for $55 more, the full software package.

Now, after hearing the bundled software (and already having Logic on my Mac) I wish I would have saved the $55.

I'm gonna try the Fishman plugged into the new iPhone and see how the latency is.  If it's fast enough, I could use this on the gig!  I have my phone with me anyway.

I added a Fishman Triple Play to my Korean JTV 59.  It simply works great!!!

A software alternative is the evolutionary MIDI Guitar app.

You'll obviously need a computer/headphones or other means of monitoring, an audio interface and a jack cord.  That's it.

I use both the FTP and the MGA depending upon which guitar I have in hand.

Me thinks that the FTP is the future.  The alternative has served well over the years and will continue to do with with the VG/GR devices.

• Upvote 1

JTV 89 BR MIDI + GK3 + GR 33 ROLAND

Almost the same as mine, only mine is black.

I use it with a GR55 (outputs routed into HD500's loop return and guitar out into HD500's guitar input)

The tracking is superb. No problem at all. Also, the pedalboard format is, by far, the most convenient and practical for live use, IMO.

I'm using the HD's midi out to control patch change and certain parameters on the GR. All in all, an awful lot of power in a small space.

A very small amount of the PCM sounds (no more than ten out of 900+), though, seem to track worse than the rest. Weird. Luckily there's plenty to choose from.

I wish L6 would also make GK ready variax models for the next generation (or even the present one), for those of us who like that stuff, or, at least, as an option, replicate the output of the piezos to allow the user to install a GK daughterboard piggybacked to the variax part. An extra connection socket on the variax motherboard and some kind of multiplexer IC (plus some other stuff), maybe...

As I said, I'm very happy with the tracking, but most people say piezos track even better and we wouldn't need to install such an ugly-cheesy-notcoolretro thing (GK pickup) on top of our guitars.

I bought a JTV and installed a Fishman TriplePlay. I don't use a laptop or the software provided but plug the USB dongle into a Kenton Midi - USB Host box that outputs MIDI to a Roland Integra 7. Works like a champ with virtually no delay in tracking. I also use the Line 6 550 wireless so that the entire guitar is now wireless.

I was using a Brian Moore Custom Shop with 13-pin out to a Roland GI20 and from there to a Yamaha Motif XS rack. We can argue about the Motif vs. Integra but there is no comparison between the TriplePlay and the 13-pin out. The TriplePlay is MUCH faster and more accurate. Adding the TP to the JTV creates a great live instrument.

I considered the Godin with the TP built-in but I think the JTV is a better solution, even though the TP is on the outside. It would be great if Fishman offered the TP "internal" version for sale instead of limiting it to only the Godin.

I bought a JTV and installed a Fishman TriplePlay. I don't use a laptop or the software provided but plug the USB dongle into a Kenton Midi - USB Host box that outputs MIDI to a Roland Integra 7. Works like a champ with virtually no delay in tracking. I also use the Line 6 550 wireless so that the entire guitar is now wireless.

I was using a Brian Moore Custom Shop with 13-pin out to a Roland GI20 and from there to a Yamaha Motif XS rack. We can argue about the Motif vs. Integra but there is no comparison between the TriplePlay and the 13-pin out. The TriplePlay is MUCH faster and more accurate. Adding the TP to the JTV creates a great live instrument.

I considered the Godin with the TP built-in but I think the JTV is a better solution, even though the TP is on the outside. It would be great if Fishman offered the TP "internal" version for sale instead of limiting it to only the Godin.

It's my second full week of having the Fishman, and the honeymoon is not wearing off.  Very impressed!  The bass string's tracking leaves the Roland stuff in the dust.

I too prefer it without the Fishman software.  And I too wish for an internal version.  At least the FTP casing is nice and slim.

The Roland Integra 7 has a USB port on back...did you try connecting the FTP directly to this with an adaptor?

• 6 months later...

I have a JTV59 and just got the Triple Play. Even the thickest mounting pad is not big enough, though. The pickup sits too far away from the strings. How did you (those who are using the FTP with the 59) mount the FTP? Thanks in advance for your help!

I added a Fishman Triple Play to my Korean JTV 59.  It simply works great!!!

A software alternative is the evolutionary MIDI Guitar app.

You'll obviously need a computer/headphones or other means of monitoring, an audio interface and a jack cord.  That's it.

I use both the FTP and the MGA depending upon which guitar I have in hand.

Me thinks that the FTP is the future.  The alternative has served well over the years and will continue to do with with the VG/GR devices.

+1 for MIDI Guitar. It's pretty great technology, but still then I kind of want a MIDI pickup just to have the cleanest tracking possible. MIDI Guitar is amazing but it still has issues sometimes.

Hey there -

I've been giving a lot of thought to the Triple Play, reading some comments above I'm concerned/curious - is there some kind of copy protection involved with the TP itself ("software key" was mentioned), or is that only if you're gonna use the bundled software (which I'm not)?  And - if not using any of the bundled stuff (I'd be running this into my live keyboard rig which is laptop/Ableton based), does the TP simply show up as an available controller in whatever host software you're using?

VERY pleased to see comments from other 13 pin users - the TP tracking is notably better than GK-based, eh?  I could deal with "as good as" - been living with that for years, but if it actually exceeds the GK response... suh-weet!