Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powering My HX Effects With A Strymon Zuma

Paulg2uk

Hi guys,

I got my HX Effects today and had a question about powering it without the power adaptor. I have a Strymon Zuma and I know I'm able to use 2 outputs on it using a VL current doubler cable. How do I then connect to the HX because the connection from the doubler cable is a 2.1mm plug to 2.1mm and the connection on the HX is slight bigger at 2.5mm.

Is there an adapter I can use to covert it to the correct size? I've seen VL do a 2.1mm to 2.5mm call but they are all centre positive and I need centre negative.

Any suggestions what to do would be great.

Many thanks

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, howiep said:

Hi Paul - did this work for you? I have the same setup and am wondering how we don't end up with 18V (9+9) & only 1A (500mA + 500mA) when doubling up the zuma outputs? (Not an electrician!) 

H

Hey, the reason why it is doubling the current and not the voltage is because the special cable that is being used is combining the two outlets on the Zuma in parallel. There are other special adapters that can combine two ports in series, which doubles the voltage to 18v and not the current. 

I had a set of cables left from a voodoo labs digital and it came with a cable for powering the older pedals like the DL4, they reverse the polarity though, so I spliced it and flipped the polarity back around and used that cable to connect to the current doubler cable plugged into the zuma. Worked perfectly! 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/4/2018 at 9:51 AM, salty09 said:

Hey, the reason why it is doubling the current and not the voltage is because the special cable that is being used is combining the two outlets on the Zuma in parallel. There are other special adapters that can combine two ports in series, which doubles the voltage to 18v and not the current. 

I had a set of cables left from a voodoo labs digital and it came with a cable for powering the older pedals like the DL4, they reverse the polarity though, so I spliced it and flipped the polarity back around and used that cable to connect to the current doubler cable plugged into the zuma. Worked perfectly! 

How did you "Spliced" the cable?