Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Hx Effects - Possible to have 2 independent instrument Lines?

Euripide

That's a good question.  I guess you would call that the 8-cable method!  I've never tried it, but I think it "might" be possible since the Helix since has two guitar inputs and the ability to setup two independent signal paths.  Not sure about the HX Effects.  With that being said, I don't think anything in the Helix family was really designed for multiple, independent guitar use.  I'm not sure why anyone would really want to share a pedalboard with another guitarist.

I have attached a screenshot from HX Edit on how it "might" be possible, but  again...  I haven't tired it.  Hope this help you.

post-2630986-0-35231000-1520610597_thumb.png

I'd like to know this too...

I can assign Path A and B outputs independantly but the input seems to default to only Y.

hxfx%20split%3Amixer.jpg?raw=1

Thanks nerven,

Maybe you cannot assign the inputs independantly because you have nothing connected in the second input... 

A dummy connection, like simply connecting a cable or patch cord, should do the trick. I have a Line 6 Flextone III XL and I have to put a dummy connector whenever I want to use only the effects loop, if not there is no sound at all coming out of it.

If what I suggest is irrelevant to the HX, logically it should split the signal based on the Left/Right connections. It could be interesting to put let say a fuzz on one of the path & a chorus on the other & see what is happening at the Left output compare to the Right one when you switch your guitar from one input to the other.

Cheers,

Euripide

As far as I can tell, there is no mixer at the beginning of the signal path, only at the end. At the beginning you only get a Y option. I have cables plugged in and the mixer at the beginning of the path does not appear. I tried to put the volume block set to 0 after the Y then add the return block as the input, but it created a feedback loop...I've asked support and they seem to think there should be a mixer block at the beginning, just like at the end...but I can't get it to happen. I'm not trying to split Main L/R input, but trying to have the Main L/R on path A and the Return L/R on Path B. But any discrete input path would work for my needs....

As far as I can tell, there is no mixer at the beginning of the signal path, only at the end. At the beginning you only get a Y option. I have cables plugged in and the mixer at the beginning of the path does not appear. I tried to put the volume block set to 0 after the Y then add the return block as the input, but it created a feedback loop...I've asked support and they seem to think there should be a mixer block at the beginning, just like at the end...but I can't get it to happen. I'm not trying to split Main L/R input, but trying to have the Main L/R on path A and the Return L/R on Path B. But any discrete input path would work for my needs....

Thanks : Keep me inform if ever Line 6 come back to you & tell you that will be a fix part of a future software update.

Euripide,

did not mean to jack your thread...I think what you want to do is possible as the Y does have a L/R balance control of each path...

Photo%20Mar%2009%2C%201%2051%2028%20PM.j

Great Thanks nerven! That sound like it!

But just to make sure, if ever you have the time & would like to test it, try the little test with a fuzz on one line & a chorus on the other & let see what is coming out from each outputs.

That's a good question.  I guess you would call that the 8-cable method!  I've never tried it, but I think it "might" be possible since the Helix since has two guitar inputs and the ability to setup two independent signal paths.  Not sure about the HX Effects.  With that being said, I don't think anything in the Helix family was really designed for multiple, independent guitar use.  I'm not sure why anyone would really want to share a pedalboard with another guitarist.

I have attached a screenshot from HX Edit on how it "might" be possible, but  again...  I haven't tired it.  Hope this help you.

Thanks VirtualGuitars,

see the reply of nerven to my post: it is possible & it works through the "Split Y" as the first module and its "BalanceA" & "BalanceB" parameters. And of course by assigning Path A and B outputs independantly at the other end of the chain signal.

Thanks VirtualGuitars,

see the reply of nerven to my post: it is possible & it works through the "Split Y" as the first module and its "BalanceA" & "BalanceB" parameters. And of course by assigning Path A and B outputs independantly at the other end of the chain signal.

Cool.  I'm glad you found a solution that's going to work for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folinomj,

It should work the same. Please note that I’ve started this thread prior to buying the HX effects. Should buy it next May for my anniversary... hopefully the software HX Edit will be fully functionnal with it around that time. So till then, I’m not really speaking from experience. Nerven is the one who answer this thread with pratical knowledge of the HX effects unit,

Thanks for the response.  I have also NOT purchased any helix yet.   I currently have all 3 boss 500s and an eventide h9.  I'm thinking *IF* the helix HX is indeed capable of doing this, then I might be able to simplify my board by giving MOST of the modulation duties to the hx and h9. 

Yes...I do this by assigining an input,...say guitar for the first line....and a specifis output....I have in that line a send command to an output that i am not using...say send 4.....I do tha same for the second line...input might be return 1....output, XLR....or what ever you choose....and also have in that line the same send command ....send 4 in this case.... as in the first line....then. I put the output levels of that “send 4”  commands to as low as possible....Then to snapshots....Snapshot 1....I have the Send 4 off for line 1. And on for line 2...Snapshot 2...I have Send 4 on for line 1 and off for line 2....switching snapshots switches lines....

Good evening Everyone! I've been trying to achieve something very alike, but I guess I need your experience with this.

I have a PRS (magnetic + piezo), which I'm plugging to the HX Effects in the following way:

- Magnetic -> Input Left

- Piezo -> Input Right

I have tested both options at the beginning of the change: Mixer (MainLR with panning) and  Main L/R (Send12), but nighter work, since one of the chains (A or B) get lost at the end of the chain (Split Y)

I need to use to use the HX Effects with two separate chains (A and B)... BUT with a single exit: Output Left to plug it to a single AMP input.

Thank you!

Edited by gposada
Missed a few words.

• 1 year later...

Hi @Euripide! I'm very sorry for the late response. I've moved to Stuttgart, Germany and its been crazy.
I used some equipment to test this [gear]; effects loop 1 has OCD>Riot>MX EQ, effects loop 2 goes back to the PSR MT15 effects loops to add digital effects between PRE and POWER amp [hx effects back].

I was able to create the proper flow for my setup using the latest firmware [flow].

I created a starting entry with Left (A) for Magnetic and Right (B) for Piezo [input - mixer 1, input - mixer 2], adding some effects ONLY to (A) and leave (B) clean.

At the end of the chain, I created a Split Y [output - split y].

Has anyone come up with a fix for the PRS MT15's Clean Volume and Lead Gain pots? I think they use audio taper pots that really suck and makes it really difficult to control the levels. I'll add a Behringer MIC100 between PRE and POWER amp temporally.

output - split y.png

flow.png

gear.png

hx effects back.png

input - mixer 1.png

input - mixer 2.png