Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Edit Software Status

stephentoback

I love my new HX Effects but my back hurts from leaning down to edit it (nice job on the interface though). I'm an old man and hope to see HX Edit software before I pass on. Possible? I heard Spring 2018, which is where we are. Hello? Hello? McFly? Thank you. 

• Upvote 2

I love my new HX Effects but my back hurts from leaning down to edit it (nice job on the interface though). I'm an old man and hope to see HX Edit software before I pass on. Possible? I heard Spring 2018, which is where we are. Hello? Hello? McFly? Thank you. 

HX Edit works on all of the products in the Helix family including your HX Effects. It’s available for macOS or Windows. HX Edit v2,52 is the latest version.  It's available in the download section.

HX Edit works on all of the products in the Helix family including your HX Effects. It’s available for macOS or Windows. HX Edit v2,52 is the latest version.  It's available in the download section.

Absolutely incorrect. Does NOT work with HX Effects for editing. Therefore it is useless.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't see anything in the release notes that says that it doesn't work on the HX Effects.

Works with it in limited fashion right now, as a preset librarian and IR loader. Full editing capability is coming this spring according to Line 6.

HX Edit is still just a librarian and IR loader for the HX Effects. I'm sure there will be a bit of fanfare when these features get added. I know that I am quite eager to not have to bend over and twist knobs to do everything. 

Personally I think a Copy function would be considered part of an Editor rather than a Librarian..... but whatever you want to call it you're right about the fact that it doesn't yet exist.

... but I think you can achieve the Copy function by Exporting and then Importing the preset.

And to add to this...I saved my created presets as a backup. Then I loaded some other sounds into the HX. When I went to restore my original presets they were there, but all snapshots were GONE! I spent considerable time arranging, naming and tweaking snapshots for each preset so needless to say I was a little perturbed to have to do it all over again. Has anyone else experienced this? It really makes me hesitant to use the edit as a backup.

Otherwise, i am loving this piece of gear.

Right from the get go, Line 6 was quite clear in their official announcements regarding the HX FX Unit that the Software Helix Editor (aka HX Edit) will be fully functional with the HX FX later this Spring! As of release of the HX FX Hardware, the HX Edit software was only announced with limited functions. This information was plainly published by Line 6 for all who cared to read it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 7:01 PM, MusicLaw said:

Right from the get go, Line 6 was quite clear in their official announcements regarding the HX FX Unit that the Software Helix Editor (aka HX Edit) will be fully functional with the HX FX later this Spring! As of release of the HX FX Hardware, the HX Edit software was only announced with limited functions. This information was plainly published by Line 6 for all who cared to read it.

I don't understand the purpose of your post. It is now Spring and I want an ETA on the software. Is that an issue? 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, stephentoback said:

I don't understand the purpose of your post. It is now Spring and I want an ETA on the software. Is that an issue? 

Nowhere was it ever suggested nor implied that it would be the first day nor week nor month of Spring! Take a few breaths....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stephentoback said:

No issue. The ETA is this spring, which means sometime on or before June 21 2018. 

Seriously, we're not likely to get any further info. It will be released when it's ready and we probably won't get a heads up. You can choose to expect it now or on June 21. In the former case you'll be disappointed on a daily basis until it's released. In the latter case you will be pleasantly surprised if it's released sooner. Your choice.

Yeah, so I'll confirm not much works on the HX Edit software.  Tried backing up, exporting, etc ... a bit disappointed in the product but it's brand new and I haven't even plugged it in yet to see the sounds yet.

My experience so far was to plug the HX into the computer - download the software - it wanted a firmware update from 2.4 to 2.54 - did that and here we are.  Was really looking forward to the editing capability on the computer, but like has been said here, it's coming, and I'll be patient.  

More time to practice anyway...

On 3/30/2018 at 1:03 PM, Ck256 said:

Yeah, so I'll confirm not much works on the HX Edit software.  Tried backing up, exporting, etc ... a bit disappointed in the product but it's brand new and I haven't even plugged it in yet to see the sounds yet.

My experience so far was to plug the HX into the computer - download the software - it wanted a firmware update from 2.4 to 2.54 - did that and here we are.  Was really looking forward to the editing capability on the computer, but like has been said here, it's coming, and I'll be patient.  

More time to practice anyway...

Thanks for the confirmation buddy... But seriously, "disappointed in the product and you haven't plugged it in".... go take a hike, then come back and actually play through it... yeesh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, I bought the HX to create a proper review rather than the often sales videos that are made and called reviews. Factually when I was buying this unit MONTHS ago there was no information from the dealers and unless you first bought the unit, nothing to indicate that the HX unit was half a job without the editor. I was familiar with the Helix editor and bought the HX on the basis that the unit would offer all of the benefits of editing that the Helix had which are very nice.

Call me an idiot, but the inference was always generally that the HX effects would have the Helix editor.... I found out it did not about half way through a very long review and almost threw the HX effects out of the window. I could buy other equipment for similar or less money than the HX Effects cost me and the non show of the editor (or other software that is generally not much use at launch) is frankly what I have seen on a number of occasions when looking at Line6 equipment. I won't review 'half a job' called the HX Effects until the whole story is available... and take note - I never saw any other glossy sales reviews telling me or anyone else that the HX Editor was not available.

This is basically poor... releasing ANY product that is half completed is at best bad, and at worst comical and unprofessional. But make no mistake when I do eventually review the HX effects and its yet to be completed HX Effects editor I'll be pointing this out as clearly as I know how.  June 21st huh... we shall see.

I just love how this forum declares I'm 'just startin' ho ho ho I was doing this before Line6 existed :)

On 5/31/2018 at 6:44 PM, bhuard75 said:

Are there any updates for a release on the HX editor yet?

On 3/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, silverhead said:

No issue. The ETA is this spring, which means sometime on or before June 21 2018. 

Seriously, we're not likely to get any further info. It will be released when it's ready and we probably won't get a heads up. You can choose to expect it now or on June 21. In the former case you'll be disappointed on a daily basis until it's released. In the latter case you will be pleasantly surprised if it's released sooner. Your choice.

11 hours ago, registry said:

Actually, I bought the HX to create a proper review rather than the often sales videos that are made and called reviews. Factually when I was buying this unit MONTHS ago there was no information from the dealers and unless you first bought the unit, nothing to indicate that the HX unit was half a job without the editor. I was familiar with the Helix editor and bought the HX on the basis that the unit would offer all of the benefits of editing that the Helix had which are very nice.

Call me an idiot, but the inference was always generally that the HX effects would have the Helix editor.... I found out it did not about half way through a very long review and almost threw the HX effects out of the window. I could buy other equipment for similar or less money than the HX Effects cost me and the non show of the editor (or other software that is generally not much use at launch) is frankly what I have seen on a number of occasions when looking at Line6 equipment. I won't review 'half a job' called the HX Effects until the whole story is available... and take note - I never saw any other glossy sales reviews telling me or anyone else that the HX Editor was not available.

This is basically poor... releasing ANY product that is half completed is at best bad, and at worst comical and unprofessional. But make no mistake when I do eventually review the HX effects and its yet to be completed HX Effects editor I'll be pointing this out as clearly as I know how.  June 21st huh... we shall see.

I just love how this forum declares I'm 'just startin' ho ho ho I was doing this before Line6 existed :)

It's really pretty common nowadays for devices that have editors for the editors to be released sometime after the product is first released. For example, the Axe FX III that was just released towards the beginning of the year didn't have an editor for a long time, and the editor that is available now is a public beta. I think it's pretty obvious why companies do it this way. Rather than have two parallel development tracks - one for the device and one for the editor - they can focus on killing bugs in the firmware without constantly playing catch-up with the editor.

I was familiar with the Helix editor and bought the HX on the basis that the unit would offer all of the benefits of editing that the Helix had which are very nice.

Actually... it sounds like you bought the HX on the "ASSUMPTION" that the unit would offer all of the benefits of editing that the Helix had. 

L6 has it in clear print on their HX FAQ page... you really can't blame them for this misunderstanding. 

This is basically poor... releasing ANY product that is half completed is at best bad, and at worst comical and unprofessional.

Do you consider it "half completed" just because it doesn't have an online editor? I can understand that for some it may improve the programming experience... but I highly doubt it's going to unleash a rash of new features not yet available from the unit itself. 

Hi Guys,

ok bought the HX Effects that is now on my pedalboard but the Editor will facilitate a lot my live.
Is anyone here inside Line 6 that can inform us the release date for the HX editor ?

I already assume that will be before June 21st. :)

Thank you in advance for any good information about the editor

Regards

Nuno

On 3/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, silverhead said:

On 3/8/2018 at 4:59 PM, stephentoback said:

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my post. It doesn't even work well as a Librarian as I can't copy presets...

28619680_10156107937322383_7093442379916

Just drag the preset you want to copy to the slot you want to copy it to...poof...copied.  Or drag it to your desktop, then drag the desktop file to the slot where you want the patch.  Easy.

• 3 weeks later...

This is so tedious waiting without any indication that it will actually appear. I'm beginning to have my doubts. I'm about to bail on the HX as I really need to be able to easily edit and save my stuff via computer editing. Love the sounds of the unit, hate the manual requirement for editing. Had I known the delay would be so long when I purchased it I'd never have bought it. Talk about vaporware.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, RevTeddy said:

This is so tedious waiting without any indication that it will actually appear. I'm beginning to have my doubts. I'm about to bail on the HX as I really need to be able to easily edit and save my stuff via computer editing. Love the sounds of the unit, hate the manual requirement for editing. Had I known the delay would be so long when I purchased it I'd never have bought it. Talk about vaporware.

It's in the final stages of beta... Apart from something unforeseen, I expect it will be released this week.

• Like 1

Although I understand the anticipation for this release, is it really that hard to manually edit the HX Effects? 

I was able to achieve all my settings through manual setup so at this point, the editor will be a luxury to me. 

I would still use the HX Effects even if the editor was never available. 

No question it is a quality piece of gear. But I can just as easily buy something else that does have editing software now instead of waiting endlessly for something that may or may not become available at some point. I bought the HX when it was first released as editing software was claimed to be available. That wasn't the case and it is now 4 months later and the only promise of a deadline is "soon" whatever that means.

My goodness, there are some real babies out there! Just accept it and move on. I want the HX Edit update just as bad as everyone one else. I use the HX every day. But it’s no use bad mouthing thier marketing and release techniques. Ok, maybe not bad mouthing but def complaining. I think it made a lot of sense to do it the way they did it. And I can’t wait to the new Edit release! But I’ll wait patiently and not complain about it. Too much anyway ;)

• Like 1

Hmm, in my world you spend $600 on a piece of gear then delivering the promised critical software to support is called good customer service, not baby behavior on the part of the customer. Since I perform regularly this is important to me as a professional. And the expectations are reasonable based on the promised time line from Line 6. It should have shipped with the unit when it was released. But at the very least they should have met their own deadline or at least been honest about the time line. The unit is fine but it needs an editor which at this point still doesn't exist. Looks pretty iffy that it will be released this week as suggested above.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RevTeddy said:

The unit is fine but it needs an editor which at this point still doesn't exist. Looks pretty iffy that it will be released this week as suggested above. 

Oh, it exists... I've been using/testing the beta version for the last three weeks or so.

I understand the impatience, but just hold tight. It really should be any day now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevTeddy said:

Hmm, in my world you spend $600 on a piece of gear then delivering the promised critical software to support is called good customer service, not baby behavior on the part of the customer. Since I perform regularly this is important to me as a professional. And the expectations are reasonable based on the promised time line from Line 6. It should have shipped with the unit when it was released. But at the very least they should have met their own deadline or at least been honest about the time line. The unit is fine but it needs an editor which at this point still doesn't exist. Looks pretty iffy that it will be released this week as suggested above.

It’s very apparent you just can’t please everyone. I’ve learned deadlines aren’t always met in the gear world. And it’s not for lack of trying. I don’t hold it against said company. Not the way you are. And it gets to me when people do. Not sure why but it does. But I’m not losing my head over it.