Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Edit Software Status

stephentoback

Line 6 are the ones that created their verbiage describing the unit and the availability of the editor, not me. This is an incentive to buy their unit, the level of support they explicitly offered in the form of the editor. And now over 4 months later it is still not here and there is no firm deadline, merely hints that it will be "soon". I'm not losing my head. I'm just going to go with a better supported product from another manufacturer. Some of us have music to make.

According to Frank Ritchotte on Facebook, they're aiming for next Monday now. I think there was a nasty bug they found late in the process. It happens, unfortunately. They've had several release candidates... I guess that's why they test stuff.

• Like 4

As more than a casual player my gear is selected on reliability and flexibility. Being able to load and edit groups of settings quickly is critical, not a luxury. I'm not a bedroom player. People pay me and expect a professional performance. Yeah, I have high standards. If you don't need it fine for you. I do need it. My point was I can get what I need elsewhere right now instead of enduring a string of missed deadlines. I can't get away with that in my professional efforts and I expect similar performance from vendors that I support. I'm the customer, not Line 6.

39 minutes ago, RevTeddy said:

As more than a casual player my gear is selected on reliability and flexibility. Being able to load and edit groups of settings quickly is critical, not a luxury. I'm not a bedroom player. People pay me and expect a professional performance. Yeah, I have high standards. If you don't need it fine for you. I do need it. My point was I can get what I need elsewhere right now instead of enduring a string of missed deadlines. I can't get away with that in my professional efforts and I expect similar performance from vendors that I support. I'm the customer, not Line 6.

To suggest "as a professional" you "need" the editor to provide a "professional performance" flies opposite to my professional experience. An editor is something I will use (and actually, currently use) to make sure I have backups, and load IR's. But as for programming the unit, I don't have the desire to haul around a laptop just for edits.... I have learned my way around the machine and can program what I need in moments, on the fly, without a computer, and without a need to connect to a computer. To be honest, a mouse and graphics will probably just slow me down. 

The one thing I will find the editor very convenient for is naming things such as snapshots and/or stomps. Although it is reasonably quick on the device, being allowed to type in the entries will be nice.  Patches are not a problem because the editor works to name those already. However, none of that would matter (to me) in a time crunch such as studio or heading to a stage... it will be housekeeping after the fact.  

As for the "string of missed deadlines comment".... I bought my HX Effect at the beginning of March and the official statement then was that the "full editor" would be available in late spring.  IMO - that is one missed deadline, currently late by 8 days, not a "string of missed deadlines". 

All that said - the editor is in Beta, we see the screenshots, and it is obviously very close to release. 

FWIW, I contacted Line 6 repeatedly and got promised "in a few days" for several months. As recently as this week I got told "this week". But now it is another week. The last my dealer hard is Monday, July 2 but with qualifiers. I've obviously been pursuing this from the outset as it was very important to me. So multiple missed deadlines is accurate from my point of view. You tell me a date, you miss it, you miss it again, and you miss it again that's multiple.

I'm far less concerned about casual editing than I am disaster recovery. I keep extras of everything, work with backup equipment. And being able to reload all settings from a backup is essential. I can easily program on the fly. But to recreate large numbers of patches by hand in a pinch is not a solution I'm comfortable with. This software is really needed if Line 6 wants to remain competitive. I have reservations about the completeness of the update as well, we shall see. How the software development team was so out of sync with the product release is mystifying. They obviously rushed the hardware out for Winter NAMM and should have waiting until Summer NAMM. Have worked on large software development projects before myself. Having a 5 month window with no announced end point is just bad project management. Hopefully they'll get it right.

59 minutes ago, RevTeddy said:

FWIW, I contacted Line 6 repeatedly and got promised "in a few days" for several months. As recently as this week I got told "this week". But now it is another week. The last my dealer hard is Monday, July 2 but with qualifiers. I've obviously been pursuing this from the outset as it was very important to me. So multiple missed deadlines is accurate from my point of view. You tell me a date, you miss it, you miss it again, and you miss it again that's multiple.

I'm far less concerned about casual editing than I am disaster recovery. I keep extras of everything, work with backup equipment. And being able to reload all settings from a backup is essential. I can easily program on the fly. But to recreate large numbers of patches by hand in a pinch is not a solution I'm comfortable with. This software is really needed if Line 6 wants to remain competitive. I have reservations about the completeness of the update as well, we shall see. How the software development team was so out of sync with the product release is mystifying. They obviously rushed the hardware out for Winter NAMM and should have waiting until Summer NAMM. Have worked on large software development projects before myself. Having a 5 month window with no announced end point is just bad project management. Hopefully they'll get it right.

You can create backups and restore from the backups with HX Edit and the HX Effects right now. You've been able to do that ever since it was first released.

As far deadlines, there has never been a deadline. There have been targets, and those have been intentionally broad, as Line 6 knows there's always a chance for unexpected issues coming up. The way I see it, if people want to wait to buy the HX until the editor is released, they can. But if they want to have the ability to use the hardware in the meantime, they have that opportunity, too.

2 hours ago, RevTeddy said:

I'm far less concerned about casual editing than I am disaster recovery. I keep extras of everything, work with backup equipment. And being able to reload all settings from a backup is essential.

Well, this is exactly one of the things the editor already does... and has since I purchased my HX Effects in March. 

There are three things you cannot do from the HX Effects itself.... "Backup, Restore, Load IR's". Those are precisely the three things HX Edit has always provided.

2 hours ago, RevTeddy said:

But to recreate large numbers of patches by hand in a pinch is not a solution I'm comfortable with.

Although I do not feel the same about this, it is something I can appreciate. We all work differently and have different needs. 

Damn dude.

I've been checking on this just about every day for the last week or so as well, but jeez....I kinda expect you to brick your unit after this and then (of course) blame Line6 for putting out a bad\rushed FW update. LOL. Good luck!

Just saw a post by digital igloo and all the stuff they’re updating. A lot more than I expected. This is great!!! Still no word on WHEN it’s coming. But it’ll be any day now I’m sure. Eagerly awaiting. Patiently though. It’s a great list of goodies coming guys. 

7 minutes ago, gregmon79 said:

Just saw a post by digital igloo and all the stuff they’re updating. A lot more than I expected. This is great!!! Still no word on WHEN it’s coming. But it’ll be any day now I’m sure. Eagerly awaiting. Patiently though. It’s a great list of goodies coming guys. 

As noted above - it's released right now.

Before you do anything else, open up your existing version of HX Edit and create a backup of your HX Edit.

Then, go to the Downloads link above, and download the latest version of HX Edit, and that will give you the updated drivers and the latest version of Line 6 Updater. Run Line 6 Updater to install the firmware update, and then you'll be good to go.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RevTeddy said:

3:10 on the east coast and nothing yet.

Dude- Chill. 

17 hours ago, phil_m said:

As noted above - it's released right now.

Before you do anything else, open up your existing version of HX Edit and create a backup of your HX Edit.

Then, go to the Downloads link above, and download the latest version of HX Edit, and that will give you the updated drivers and the latest version of Line 6 Updater. Run Line 6 Updater to install the firmware update, and then you'll be good to go.

I appreciate your patience, man. There are some quite a few entitled people out there.

I am super pumped about the new update. I am happy it took a little longer and we got a ton of bug fixes and some pretty cool updates.

Honestly- Line 6 is going above and beyond compared to past releases. I really hope they continue this effort and bringing us these really quality models on a semi-frequent basis. These dirt pedals have made most of my pedal board obsolete. I can't wait to check out the range mast and DS1

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, registry said:

Actually, I bought the HX to create a proper review rather than the often sales videos that are made and called reviews. Factually when I was buying this unit MONTHS ago there was no information from the dealers and unless you first bought the unit, nothing to indicate that the HX unit was half a job without the editor. I was familiar with the Helix editor and bought the HX on the basis that the unit would offer all of the benefits of editing that the Helix had which are very nice.

Call me an idiot, but the inference was always generally that the HX effects would have the Helix editor.... I found out it did not about half way through a very long review and almost threw the HX effects out of the window. I could buy other equipment for similar or less money than the HX Effects cost me and the non show of the editor (or other software that is generally not much use at launch) is frankly what I have seen on a number of occasions when looking at Line6 equipment. I won't review 'half a job' called the HX Effects until the whole story is available... and take note - I never saw any other glossy sales reviews telling me or anyone else that the HX Editor was not available.

This is basically poor... releasing ANY product that is half completed is at best bad, and at worst comical and unprofessional. But make no mistake when I do eventually review the HX effects and its yet to be completed HX Effects editor I'll be pointing this out as clearly as I know how.  June 21st huh... we shall see.

I just love how this forum declares I'm 'just startin' ho ho ho I was doing this before Line6 existed :)

Ah at last the mysterious update that makes the HX effects what it should have been from the start. Expect an in depth review now that I can continue... 

Thanks Line6

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Lucky13j said:

Oh please hurry! We are all dying to know what YOU think about it. And please make it as fascinating as your original post! 

Glad to hear you're eager for this review. Over the 37 million minutes of viewing of my reviews to date I guess that my reviews are liked by many.

I've met sarcastic people like you before, but I thought they were all on the Fractal forum where they belong. I was wrong. 

Thankfully Yamaha has bought Line6 and I guess they won't tolerate people that have a sad attitude and hide behind stupid names on forums simply because they can't attach their acidic remarks to their real names. I don't like sarcastic people like you make no mistake about that... and for what it's worth I will be focussing on this forum as part of the customer service aspect of the HX Effects products thanks to you. Not a problem for me, and certainly not a problem for my review, but it might be a problem for you at some stage. 

Just a question... when did you ask 'we're all dying to know' about watching my review? Because that's basically a 'made up' comment.. or some could construe it as a lie. I see from the five or six posts you have made to date that it would be hard to make a statement like that.

I suspect that you should go back to your Fractal Forum where your attitude is in line with the general attitude found in such places. 

Until now I did feel that the Line6 forums were full of reasonable people, but I can clearly see that this is not the case where you are concerned.

And guess what, you can take your forum and see how far it fits in to a part of your anatomy... either your mouth or...  well you go figure.

Over the 37 million minutes of viewing of my reviews to date I can confirm that my reviews are liked by many... all except often some very sad entities that try and create with stupid attitudes some level of distain against success. Don't worry you make absolutely no difference to the review I will make and likely you will enhance it.

Bye Bye.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, registry said:

... and for what it's worth I will be focussing on this forum as part of the customer service aspect of the HX Effects products thanks to you.

In your reviews please remember that this is a user support forum. While hosted by Line 6 the company itself has very little presence here and is very tolerant with their moderating practices. Anyone is free to come here and express themselves in whatever manner they see fit. Only in very unusual circumstances does Line 6 intervene in user discussions or discipline specific users.The tone and content of user's posts here are not a reflection on Line 6 customer support.

8 minutes ago, silverhead said:

In your reviews please remember that this is a user support forum. While hosted by Line 6 the company itself has very little presence here and is very tolerant with their moderating practices. Anyone is free to come here and express themselves in whatever manner they see fit. Only in very unusual circumstances does Line 6 intervene in user discussions or discipline specific users.The tone and content of user's posts here are not a reflection on Line 6 customer support.

Thank you for clarifying the position of this forum. I have seen distasteful forums before where even the owner tolerated very abusive commenting.

If you have seen my HELIX review you will know that I always rate products fairly, but I do have to say that a forum is a general reflection of what reasonable people come to from time to time so you know that I always tell things as I find them myself because it could affect new users view of the product... and I think that's a reasonable comment bearing in mind that my original post was a reasonable statement of the affairs regarding the HX Effects unit and my experiences with it to date as a purchasing customer of Line6 products.

Thank you for your explanation and Ill bear that in mind when I complete the review of the HX Effects unit from Line6 now that the software editor is now finally available.

• Downvote 1

You win! You are clearly an inportant man.  I've never used Fractal, don't hide from anyone and frankly don't care what you think. I'm playing at Townhouse in Manitou Springs with my HX effects Friday night if you or anyone wants to hear it in action

• Like 1