Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie Variax/FRFR/HD500X questions.

Speirsy11

So, I'm very new to the whole Variax/modelling/high tech thing and I've got a few questions. They may be dumb questions but I've tried googling it and I'm more confused now than I was before. 

I own a JTV-59 and an FRFR speaker. I'm interested in finding a way to make my use of said items more streamlined and simple, which brings me to the HD500X and my questions:

1. Am I able to set up each button on the POD to start a specific preset? IE. Am I able to set it up where I hit "FS1" and it will give me my preset _______ and "FS2" will give me preset ______, etc? 

2. If I plug my Variax guitar into the Variax input will I be able to control the modelling of the guitar as part of my presets? So all I'll need to do to switch from a Strat/Reverb/Distortion/Blackface Dbl Norm preset to a 12 string/Drop D/clean/acoustic amp preset with the push of a button? Or will I still need to make the changes at the guitar level with the knobs? 

3. When I watch the tone creation videos on Youtube there are enormous numbers of amps, effects, miss, etc.... Are all those included in the purchase of a POD HD500X? Or are the initial/included items limited and the rest are purchased after the fact? 

I'm sure the answers to these questions will bring up several other questions but I'd love it if I could get these answered. 

Thanks in advance. (And sorry if these questions make no sense....)

1 - NO. you can have 4 presets. not 8. 

Your choices are 4 presets and 4 on/off switches. or 8 on/off switches. 

2 - yes. but i do not use the variax, so I can't be more specific. 

3 - All effects are included. When you update to the latest firmware, you have 60-ish amps included. there are more amps available for purchase. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

the HD500(x) is designed to work with the Variax as part of a concept called the Dream Rig.  basically you can control the variax from the HD unit so you can have, say, a telecaster into a modelled amp with loads of FX on one preset, then switch something else on another preset  - say a 12 string acoustic going to PA via FX send.  You can even have two guitars  - the magnetic pickups of the variax on one channel panned L and a modelled guitar on channel 2 panned R.

There are stacks of amps and FX and you can buy some additional ones as downloads. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Speirsy11, welcome to the new world!! It's crazy, huh?

I can throw on a few answers and suggestions to the pile you've already received.

1. Nope, not even. However, there are two settings for the bottom row of foot-switches (FS5 - FS8): Press and hold the "View" button, on page 1/12 under the picture of the wrench is "FS Mode" and you can make it "5-8" or "ABCD." If it's in "5-8" mode, then you can assign amps, cabs and/or pedals to those foot-switches (5, 6, 7, 8) as an on/off function. If you change to the "ABCD" mode, then each press will change the preset to one of the four that are in that bank (1A, 1B, 1C, 1D). Hit the "Up/Down" foot-switches to change the banks of presets. If you need a particular order for your setlist, you can save the presets to the available folders (User 1, User 2, etc). 

Advantages of 5-8 vs ABCD: if you use a lot of pedals and like to kick them on and off, then 5-8 is a better option, otherwise you only can assign on/off to switches 1-4.  If you change presets more than individual pedals or hate hitting the Up/Down and then a foot-switch , ABCD-mode might be a better option. Also, you can assign more than one pedal to the same switch. You can hit one switch and turn on three pedals at once or make it where hitting the switch turns one off and another on. Simply assign multiple pedals to the same switch (place arrow over device, press and hold "Enter" on 500X and turn the knob to assign the effect to a particular switch). It remembers the on'off state of each pedal when you save. When you hit the switch, it turns the effect(s) on/off as you programmed.

2.  If you are using the Variax VDI (Cat 5) cable - about $30 (not a standard guitar cable), then YES; a great feature of using the Variax with the HD500X is the ability to create and store Variax settings as part of the preset and even assign amp/pedal/cab parameters to the volume and tone controls of the Variax (if you want to get really carried away!). Again, press and hold the "View" button and rock the x/y pad to the right to go to pages 7 and 8 to access the Variax parameters.  You can save your settings as part of any preset. Check out the Variax Folder that is included on the 500X and walk thru the presets. Preset "12D - Right Now" is a good example. It drops to Korn-style tuning and swaps out amp/cab/effects to mimic the sound of the band. While you are there, press and hold View and go to pages 7 and 8 to see how they did it. Now, change to "8C - Rain Song." Why is there no sound? Because they send the output of this acoustic setting to FOH (front of house - PA) because acoustic sound kind of crappy thru an electric guitar amp. Check the 500X manual,  starting on page 2.11 for more info and step-by-step directions. Also see pages 3.6 - 3.9 for sending parameters to the Variax volume and tone knobs. (manual is a free download from L6 if you don't have one). It's pretty cool to use. I have used it to control the "mix" level of reverbs and chorus pedals from the guitar. You can even set the amount of sweep: 0-100% or limit it from 30-55% (for example)  if that' is what you need. Neat feature!  By the way, you can also assign parameters to the wah/vol pedal rocker too. I've heard of some guys who put the modeled-mic distance on the rocker to move it to and from the cab for a different tone while playing.  Quick note on the Variax with 500X: if you use the VDI cable, you don't need the battery in the guitar. If you have the battery in, it will use the battery and run it down.

3.  There are a ton of amps/cabs/effects/microphones loaded standard on the 500X. You can purchase "model packs" from the L6 website, either in small bundles or the whole enchilada. The big combo is normally $100, but goes on sale a few times a year for around $75. Is it worth the cost? Yes! The model pack can also be loaded to multiple devices with a single purchase. I bought the big combo pack and loaded it to my 500, 500X and HD Desktop, all legal and fully authorized by Line 6. I think they allow it on up to five devices? The website details what you get in the the model packs.

This was a looooong answer, but hopefully of some help.  Have fun!!

• Upvote 1