Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX and valve amp coloration and transparency?

em07189

Best non-tone-sucking multi-effects I've ever tried.  I've played all the L6 POD's, Eleven Rack, L6 M-series effects, several Boss, some Digitech, and Johnson J-Station (dating myself ;) ).  I've never tried Axe-Fx, Amplifire, or Kemper though.

Hi, I use an EVH Mk3 50 watt head and have not noticed any tone suck. I just use it for FX live.

I can midi the fxloop on and off and have AB'd it with nothing noticeable in a live setting.

Only thing you need to mess with a bit it the volume out of the Helix, mine tends to sit at about 2pm.

I'm using the HX Effects with an Orange TH30 and TH100 as well as a Blackstar using the effects loop. I also use it in front of a Vox Cambridge 15. I think it sounds great. Very rich. You can try the M series effects next to the HX models and see how far they've come; from something very good to something pretty great. I think it's transparent. Even if there is some digital coloring, you figure, if you had a chain of... 3 effects, you're going to get noise or loss from that. I replaced a fairly complex board of true bypass and buffered pedals and a line switcher in the chain with the HX and I've found the signal to just sound clearer. I'm really happy with it.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:02 PM, VirtualGuitars said:

I use two Marshall UK tube combos (Silver Mini Jubilee and JTM312) with the 7-cable method and I couldn't be happier.  See attached.

post-2630986-0-18533100-1520643718_thumb.jpg

Can you show a screenshot of your 7 cable signal flow or upload it somehow? Is it possible to run your dry guitar parallel inside the hx and also run 7 cable method? 

On 3/21/2018 at 8:56 AM, Memyselfniii said:

Can you show a screenshot of your 7 cable signal flow or upload it somehow? Is it possible to run your dry guitar parallel inside the hx and also run 7 cable method? 

See attached.  Path 1 uses FX Loop 1 and Path 2 uses FX Loop 2.  All of the blocks before the FX Loops (Paths 1A and 2A) goes in front of the amps and all of the blocks after the FX Loops (Paths 1B and 2B) goes into the amp's effects loop.  I changed my output setting to 1/4" so the audio will just go to my amps; however, if I was recording or also wanted the audio routed to my studio monitors I would set it back to the default output of Multi.

7CM.png

4 hours ago, VirtualGuitars said:

See attached.  Path 1 uses FX Loop 1 and Path 2 uses FX Loop 2.  All of the blocks before the FX Loops (Paths 1A and 2A) goes in front of the amps and all of the blocks after the FX Loops (Paths 1B and 2B) goes into the amp's effects loop.  I changed my output setting to 1/4" so the audio will just go to my amps; however, if I was recording or also wanted the audio routed to my studio monitors I would set it back to the default output of Multi.

7CM.png

Is this for the HX effects or Helix? I thought the HX edit software isn't available for the HX effects only unit yet? Just making sure that this is doable on the HX effects only unit.

13 hours ago, Memyselfniii said:

Is this for the HX effects or Helix? I thought the HX edit software isn't available for the HX effects only unit yet? Just making sure that this is doable on the HX effects only unit.

Helix.  The 7CM method will still work for the HX Effects; however, HX Edit isn't fully featured yet for that model from what I understand.

So with the HX is it possible to run separate lines both with their own parallel 50% dry 50% wet mix? Basically like one guitar player is going in his own effects chain and the other guitar players going into a separate effects chain each of those effects chains are running 50% dry 50% wet internally inside the HX.