Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Loud pop noise when switching between snapshots

MacShock

Hi, I have a preset with snapshots using 1 amp (the cartographer which is great). Obviously because of using snapshots I have different parameters on the amp per snapshots. When I switch from one snapshot to another there is a loud pop noise. Is there a way to avoid that noise. I tried to use an eq pedal to regulate volume and keep the volume on the amp channel equal but this did not solve the issue. I also tried to put the amp in another path but this did not help neither.

Hi, I have a preset with snapshots using 1 amp (the cartographer which is great). Obviously because of using snapshots I have different parameters on the amp per snapshots. When I switch from one snapshot to another there is a loud pop noise. Is there a way to avoid that noise. I tried to use an eq pedal to regulate volume and keep the volume on the amp channel equal but this did not solve the issue. I also tried to put the amp in another path but this did not help neither.

For the snapshot creating the pop, what parameters are you controlling with that snapshot and what values are you changing those parameters to?

With some amp models, if you make an extreme change in the drive and/or master volume parameters, you will get a popping noise. 

This has been a recent topic over on TGP - don't think there's any good way around it, as noted above if you make sudden changes to gain/vol levels an artifact is likely. Hey, I've had amps that pop on channel changes, so this is not that odd. Only thing I can think of is having a user-definable (milliseconds) lag on parameter changes - 20 to 30 mils would probably mitigate the problem.

But I'm all ears - if anyone comes across a solution, I'd love to hear it....

This has been a recent topic over on TGP - don't think there's any good way around it, as noted above if you make sudden changes to gain/vol levels an artifact is likely. Hey, I've had amps that pop on channel changes, so this is not that odd. Only thing I can think of is having a user-definable (milliseconds) lag on parameter changes - 20 to 30 mils would probably mitigate the problem. But I'm all ears - if anyone comes across a solution, I'd love to hear it....

I use an external expression pedal to change drive/gain parameters so that they are not instantaneous, therefore not creating the pops. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am finding that the ones that "POP" for me are the ones where I'm using (and switching between) two different Cabs or IRs... for example, I have some snapshots where I'm using a blackface (twin, deluxe, etc) model for clean and I have a specific IR/Cab assigned, then I use a different amp and Cab/IR for my "overdrive" snapshots..... say a Marshall or Litigator model and a different Cab/IR.  

When switching between these, (from the "clean" snapshot, to the "Heavy Drive" snapshot), I get the pop, if I still have residual sustaining notes from the the former snapshot.  If I mute the strings before I hit the footswitch, it doesn't do it... but that's not practical in a live situation.   

I use MANY different snapshots that do NOT pop... but those are either two amps into a single Cab/IR, or one amp - one Cab/IR.  So maybe it's the 'jump" from one amp to another vastly different amp?  or the jump from one to another vastly different Cab/IR ?  or both? that cause the pops?

• 6 months later...

I get the pop if the amp channel volume and master volume are not the same between two amps. It happens when going from louder to softer and softer to louder. Any two amps, if the master volume and channel volume don't match, it pops. VERY ANNOYING. I want to go from a Cali clean to Cali crunch, I get the pop. Not good. This even happens when no iRs and cabs are involved.

• 2 years later...

Same thing here... It' getting worse after every update...when i bought my Helix LT it wasn't as bad as now. When you change from cleaner to dirthy or otherwise the pops are there. And yes when you hold your palm of your hand on the strings you don't have this. Very annoying when you are on stage. Is there any solution for that?

• 9 months later...

I had a similar issue.  I can't explain why, but when I put the volume control block at the end of the chain it almost completely disappeared.  I use the Helix Floor primarily in stomp mode with snapshots.  I haven't used the amp modeling live.  My amplifier is a Boogie Mark IV and I use a Voodoo Lab MIDI amp channel switcher to switch between channels on the Boogie.  The Helix Floor controls the Voodoo switcher via MIDI.  On the Helix when I had the volume pedal block at the start of the effects chain I would get loud pops changing channels on the Boogie.  Now that I moved the volume pedal block to the end of the chain it's gone.  I hope that helps.   

if you are careful with your level setting this doesnt happen.  Make sure you keep your blocks near unity (same volume switched in or out).  Also, remember that parameters in blocks not used in some snapshots may also be changing.
I had this issue early on - doesn't happen anymore because I am careful with my block levels.    I saw example from some peoples patches where they had not realised that on one block the snapshot was turning up the level, yet on the next block it was turning down the level.  Since the parameters changes in order that effectively was turning the volume up briefly

• 5 months later...
On 9/25/2021 at 11:17 PM, lawrence_Arps said:

if you are careful with your level setting this doesnt happen.  Make sure you keep your blocks near unity (same volume switched in or out).  Also, remember that parameters in blocks not used in some snapshots may also be changing.
I had this issue early on - doesn't happen anymore because I am careful with my block levels.    I saw example from some peoples patches where they had not realised that on one block the snapshot was turning up the level, yet on the next block it was turning down the level.  Since the parameters changes in order that effectively was turning the volume up briefly

That was it , having different settings per snapshot, even though they are not being used is an issue -- thanks so much -- switching between and Interstate and a Rockerverb -- in newest version 3.15 -- loud pop. It was that when I was going to the clean (Interstate), it was changing the Rockerverb volume behind the scene even though it was not in use -- then when I switch back to crunch (Rockerverb ) it was switch the Rockerverb volume parameters back -- and that was the pop.  Once I set 

• 5 months later...

I opened a ticket for this, as I need to have two sounds, 2 snapshots:

1. -> distortion -> amp -> delay

2. -> volume boost (gain block) + 8 db -> reverb -> amp

So I alternate between having a distortion on, gain block off to... distortion off, gain block on.   + some reverb/delay.

The 2nd sound needs to be a lot louder than 1, hence the need for the gain block. 

If I bypass my distortion pedal, the way I have my signal chain, the sound level gets cut in half, so I need to boost the signal back up.  The awful popping noise happens when I switch between "2" and "1".  Also curiously the trails of the reverb are not heard when I switch between 2 and 1, despite them being "on". 

I've isolated this issue down to the gain block.  With the block in the chain, the popping is extremely loud, but ONLY if I play something on the guitar in the middle of switching.