Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DIY solid state backplate amplifier for speaker cabinet

aaronlyon

I build a solid state amp for use with Helix, and installed it inside my 2x12 cab, so I have a convenient combo of sorts.

post-650790-0-09480600-1520901596_thumb.jpg

post-650790-0-70977700-1520901601_thumb.jpg

Parts came from parts-express.com, and include:

Sure Electronics AA-AB31194 1x300W Class D Audio Amplifier Board - T-Amp

The sound is as I expected: low noise floor, good clarity and punch, plenty of power to spare.

I am less happy about the fan in the power supply, which will never be noticed on stage, but is audible in my quiet room, and therefore a bit annoying. I may wire a fan on/off switch. I played loud for an hour, and there is no appreciable heat felt in the chassis.

• Upvote 2

I very much like this idea, but I'm curious: It seems as if it was an open-back cabinet and you've plugged the hole with that plate. Did that change the sound significantly?

It's an Avatar cab with an oval opening--I already had the hole covered by plywood to make it a closed back cab, which I prefer for this cab. I just swapped the plywood for the aluminum backplate. Not much change, if any.

• 4 weeks later...

I built a second version of this rig—this one is a 1x12 open backed cab with Jensen Neo Tornado speaker in a pine cabinet. So total weight is 27 pounds including SS power amp. Back saver!

I have now had a chance to play a live gig with this rig with great results. From Helix I go 1/4” out to cabinet for stage volume, and via cab/mic block to XLR out direct to PA.

Sounded great to me with my 64ears IEMs in one ear. Band members were happy, FOH guy was happy, I got compliments from two guitarists from other local bands, and from venue owner afterward.

Great job, even if i prefer for me a complete  and ready solution (as i'm a electronic noob except pickups ;) ) and a dsp managed two way setup to use the Helix even for bass, acoustic.......

So i've chosen for me a Hypex module with a coaxial driver. But i congratualate to build this solution for just a few bucks - that's hard to beat.

A proposition to make things more long term stable: Putting the electronics in a separate compartment to reduce vibrations probably would  make their live longer. There's a pretty shockwave storm inside a cab. I know that most combo amps are build open too, but that's no argument.

(well - where are the smileys gone?)