Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

It might be my imagination...

hideout

But i don't care.  

It sure seems like the overall sound of the models in 2.53 is smoother.  I wasn't looking or expecting any drastic changes but just happened to notice that it was slightly different and in a good way.

Maybe I'm crazy... but I don't care - I like it!

Not sure, but I have to say, I'm just having a flat-out blast playing my Helix these days. Placator, Texas, and some older amps too, are just remarkable, really. Such a variety of tones within the same amp, great feel, love it. 

Big Fun, if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Happened again this morning, joyful playing time. Two hours just doin the thing. One patch, no snaps even, just Placator and a footswitch to Texas. Some drives are there, turned em on some to check out those vibes again, but most of the time, just one or the other amp, a touch of verb, touch of delay, and Happy.

Kind of made peace with my bridge pickup even, which hasn't happened in a while.

This is the Good Stuff folks. Truly digging Helix's wares these days. Thank you Ben and Line 6 in general, nice work :)

Forgot to mention, use the volume control on your guitar!

With the recent amps especially, there's a whole range of great tones to be had just by going from nearly off to full tilt, amps react beautifully. Wonderful stuff, props all around.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, PeterHamm said:

I think it’s confirmation bias. I have done rough comparisons of tracks recorded before and after a number of updates and I don’t think the modeling changes its sound really at all.

Not sure you would notice the difference in a recording. It's as I'm playing through the Helix that I notice a difference.  Yes it's subtle.  I wasn't looking for a difference, I was just making sure my patches were unaffected in a way that was not to my liking. They weren't.  That's when I noticed the difference and even though I can't precisely put my finger on it to describe it accurately, I like it!

5 hours ago, zooey said:

True! The ability to mimic my OCD pedal was what sold me on moving to Helix away from my pedalboard. And the OCD in the Helix is delightfully responsive to guitar volume, in a way that my real pedal is not.

13 hours ago, zooey said:

With the recent amps especially, there's a whole range of great tones to be had just by going from nearly off to full tilt, amps react beautifully. Wonderful stuff, props all around.

This^ It can really make a difference and open up all kinds of different tones ESPECIALLY if you have hot af pickups like the texas specials or hotter. I use pickups I wound myself and they are extremely hot like not even funny kind of hot and I get more variations out of my volume knob than ever before. I'm not 100% sure if it's something that changed or just my ears getting more accustomed to the helix but it certainly does SEEM like there is more subtlety in the tones these days.