Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[HD500X] to foh and cab simultaneously

handikap11

Hello good people! I was considering getting the hd500x because it fits perfectly on my budget, but i couldn't find anywhere an answer to this question:

Can you connect your pod to foh (with cab emulation) and to a poweramp and cab (without cab emulation) simultaneously? if not, that would be a deal breaker :/

I've downloaded the edit software and discovered that using a dual amp setup i could turn off the simulation on one, so theoretically if i pan them hard to the sides i could do what i want?

Thanks in advance!

AFAIK the HD500X's outputs aren't isolated so you can't have one side running a cab sim and the other side without. I've run into a similar predicament with my bass rig (I use the Pod for any effects that aren't compression or overdrive, hooked up to my amps via 4-cable method) and I found that it was honestly easier to run from an A/B/Y into two separate Pods and control them both via MIDI.

You could potentially run one output from your Pod's FX return into your power amp/cab, and then one from your unbalanced line out into FOH. Might not work that way but that's how it works on a proper head. Running from your FX return bypasses the power/cab stage. 

Again, I've never done this particularly, and there are plenty more knowledgeable than me here. So take that with a grain of salt.

Hope this somewhat helps!

Yes, it can be done. But it isn't a simple matter of "amps go to foh, amps do not go to stage sound". It's a dual path split left/right. And that can limit you because you are always needing to operate the device in certain ways to split and to make sure that they never join. 

Just curious as to why you would want your model going to one place and not to the other? Those of us that know our units may have better solutions if we know your intent.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

14 hours ago, hurghanico said:

but if you need many, could be impossible

Let's say i'd use a gate, drive, delay, and MAYBE some modulation, and probably not always at the same time... that would be too much?

4 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

Just curious as to why you would want your model going to one place and not to the other? Those of us that know our units may have better solutions if we know your intent.

I was thinking about going direct for sound quality and simplicity purposes, but then i realized that i'd need to monitor myself (don't have an in-ear system yet) on stage, and not all venues have monitor speakers except for the singer. And the problem is that putting a simulation of a mic'ed cab thru a real poweramp and cab will sound like sh*t, and that concerns me specially because in small venues what is sounding on stage is heard aswell as what is going on in foh.

I tought about just going into a cab and mic it, but it would be nice to have one less mic with stuff bleeding into it and one less thing to knock off while moving on stage :P

If your FX are fairly simple you can do with a dual tone patch...Set the HD in Studio direct...On your PA Chain, select a cab model and mic...On your AMP chain, set cab to none....Gate and Drive are up front and shared...You will need to duplicate the FX blocks on each chain and pan the mixer hard L and R to keep them separated...

HD takes time to tweak for direct, but can work just fine....Turn RES LVL to 0% and Master down to where the fizz comes out...Those are the two main culprits that have bad defaults...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, handikap11 said:

but then i realized that i'd need to monitor myself

There are ways around that. 

1. don't plug into the amp's input. plug into the fx loop. 

2. buy an frfr. 

3. put the amps on the side and angle them inwards so that the stage hears them, not the crowd.

4. buy a tiny little $20 amp and put it by your feet pointing right up at you like a wedge monitor would be.

5. speaking of wedge monitors - your vocals, acoustic guitars, and keyboards are coming out of something. so are digital drums.

• Like 1

I do this sometimes with a Palmer DI cab sim/ ADA cab sim or Atomic Ampli- Firebox. 1/4 out from HD500 to Cab Simulator.1/4 in no cab to my amp from cab sim unit di  for monitoring guitar.XLR from cab sim unit to FOH mixer.Then I can turn my amp up or down all I want without blowing the front of house mix.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2018 at 7:59 AM, JTSC777 said:

I do this sometimes with a Palmer DI cab sim/ ADA cab sim or Atomic Ampli- Firebox. 1/4 out from HD500 to Cab Simulator.1/4 in no cab to my amp from cab sim unit di  for monitoring guitar.XLR from cab sim unit to FOH mixer.Then I can turn my amp up or down all I want without blowing the front of house mix.

What cab sim do you use? 

I'm doing somewhat similar, but I use my pod hd500x fully for manual stompbox mode. No amp simulation, effects only. 

Currently my route is:
Guitar - Hd500x - front input of amp - use as a monitor

For FOH

I take cable out from "pre amp out" of my amp direct to FOH

So the part for FOH does not pass any cab simulator

What do you think? 

On 3/13/2018 at 7:51 PM, handikap11 said:

I've downloaded the edit software and discovered that using a dual amp setup i could turn off the simulation on one, so theoretically if i pan them hard to the sides i could do what i want?

You really did manage to answer your own question :) That is how you would do it.

As much as I prefer my HD500 it's output options are completely neutered compared to the X3 Live before it. I really miss the ability to set the XLR to one output mode and the 1/4" to another.... not to mention the option of only applying the master volume to the 1/4" outputs when needed.