Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Routing questions

bforber

Hi everyone, thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

So, I've had a Helix for a while, but I've never taken full advantage of the routing functions so I have a question about some stuff, (I'm kinda new at this, haha)

Right now I'm using the helix as an interface for recording.  I have a pair of studio monitors as well as a separate powered monitor.  Basically what I'm trying to do is have the powered speaker on the floor almost act like a functioning guitar cab, (only the signal coming from the guitar coming out of it,) and I want to have the monitors to listen to the stuff I've recorded, (basically just output anything on my PC whether it's from the DAW, itunes, youtube, whatever.)

I've got most of it figured out.  I have audio from my PC coming out of my monitors only via settings USB in 1/2 destination to 1/4"; however, unless I set my ouput on my actual patch to XLR only, the guitar comes through both the studio monitors and the monitor on the floor.  When I set it to XLR only, tracks cannot be recorded because there's no USB out, (so I have to keep it on multi.)  

Is there a way to truly split the two sources?  

Sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  

Hey there,

Use the 1/4" out to the power monitor. Set the output block to 1/4" out.

Use the XLR to the Studio Monitors. USB 1/2 automatically sends to the XLR outputs.

I have been running it like this live for a while now. USB 1/2 for my samples, soft synths and drones and then 1/4" out straight to my Powered FRFR for backline.

Hope this helps!

😊

My understanding is that Global Settings > I/Os > Knob 5 USB In 1/2 Destination allows rerouting of USB 1/2 to Multi, 1/4, or XLR.

See Helix User Guide 2.0 Rev D PDF, page 50:

If you like to jam along with iTunes®, YouTube™ or your DAW, this setting determines from which of the Helix outputs your computer or iPad primary stereo audio stream will be heard. USB In 1/2 bypasses all Helix processing; USB 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 can be selected as input blocks for processing DAW tracks or re-amping. Normally, you should choose "Multi," which sends USB In 1/2 directly to the 1/4", XLR, and Digital outputs. See "USB Audio".

See Helix User Guide 2.0 Rev D PDF, page 53 for USB Audio.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:36 PM, Equilibrium_606 said:

Hey there,

Use the 1/4" out to the power monitor. Set the output block to 1/4" out.

Use the XLR to the Studio Monitors. USB 1/2 automatically sends to the XLR outputs.

I have been running it like this live for a while now. USB 1/2 for my samples, soft synths and drones and then 1/4" out straight to my Powered FRFR for backline.

Hope this helps!

😊

Ok, this is essentially what I had before, but by switching the output block to 1/4" I'm not receiving a signal to my Reaper track, so I am unable to record anything without switching it back to multi.  Is there anything I can do to fix that?