Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects - IR

superdiego82

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine from Sigma Audio 3 - no complaints here.   

edit:  I should mention, I only use them with my Helix, not my Helix FX.  I'm not exactly sure why an FX only unit would need IR's since there are no preamps.  I'm sure I'm missing something on how to properly use them with the Helix FX.  

On 3/26/2018 at 4:58 PM, TRENDKILLCFH333 said:

I'm not exactly sure why an FX only unit would need IR's since there are no preamps.  I'm sure I'm missing something on how to properly use them with the Helix FX.  

It's a great feature with many uses - even without any pre-amp models included. 

• If you run the HX Effects in the loop of your amp, you can setup an IR and go direct to the FOH/Monitors while returning a non IR signal to the amp so it's poweramp/cabinet has full effect. 
  • You can run any pre-amp / amp sim in the loop of the HX Effects and use an IR for cabinet simulation
  • Load Acoustic IR's and use it to supplement acoustic instruments.... similar to a Fishman Aura for example.
  • Surprisingly.... if you think outside the box... you don't need an amp preamp for good electric tones. An EQ, optional compressor and/or dirt pedal, and an IR cabinet can get the job done very nicely. 
  • In my case.... I run my HX Effects with my HD500... the IR's are a welcome addition and a big reason I decided to buy the unit. I call the combination my "poor man's helix". 
  • I'm sure there are many other practical reasons for IR's on this device... that's just a few that come to mind.