Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack 2.53 weak sound when USB is in

rossfr

Hi,

I just bought a Helix rack yesterday, updated to 2.53, but I had a few issues today, with the sound, the same kind you would have with a faulty cable : like weak volume, some buzz with many cut in the sound...

It happened computer off BUT USB plug in, and another time it happened PC on, I had left everything for a while to have a pause and returned after a few minutes, and it was there.First I thought the GUITAR IN had some problem, I restarted the unit several time, but it was still there. 

The thing that worked and fixed it was to :

1/ restart the PC and the helix rack

2/unplug the USB cable.

so I think there might be a problem when the usb is plug and the pc off, or when pc was on sleep mode and you play again.

I REALLY HOPE it's just that...because I just bought the unit and love it.

What do you think about that? thanks for any help or advice.

Anytime you use a PC for sound applications, you need to optimize the PC for that purpose. That includes (but not limited to) setting the POWER PLAN for HIGH PERFORMANCE, turning OFF wireless (hardwire seems to be ok), and making sure in device manager that none of the USB hubs are allowed to turn off to save power. If you google PC AUDIO OPTIMIZATION you should come up with several articles on the subject. I know there's one on the Steinberg site, and most of the DAW sites will have at least one.

thanks for your help rd2rk!

but It was not a performance problem, and it was nothing with the usb, I eventually figured it out!

its quite stupid and it was very random: its was just the tip of my jack cable...I couldnt imagine it was it because it worked fine on any other devices or pedals, but for some reason, it causes problem with the rack, just one tip, the other one is ok. I changed the jack and feel relieved ...

I assume it could be the compresion springs on this very kind of planet waves jack that causes problem,  it works just fine with a regular jack.

planetwaves_kabel_tverrsnitt.jpg

by the way, there's still something wrong with my unit, it happened twice and right now again : sometimes, I dont have no sound at all, land the tuner wont show any sign of someting going on. like if the guitar was not plugged in...

restarting the unit fixed it.